The absolute dumbest thing you'll see all week: Godzilla vs. Kong

It is that bad, and it’s not hilarious. What it is, however, is free (if you already sub to HBO Max) and quite a spectacle, so I don’t feel like my time was wasted.

I am trying to remember if I even laughed like once. You’d think the misfit gang doing nothing that adds to the movie would be a barrel of laughs, but it’s just overall stupid.

It was bad enough to make me question why Eiza Gonzales was even in the movie, and I really like looking at her in movies. But they gave her nothing to work with so I guess it was really to just be hot in trailers I guess.

I was never really into big monster and robot fighting movies, so I doubt I would have seen this in theaters, but if I had paid full price for this I’d be pissed.

I’m pretty sure I have seen every Godzilla and King Kong movie that was not a rehash of the old puppet stuff in theater… except this one. This is the worst one, by far. This even includes that silly one that had the baby Godzilla’s popping out of eggs and just eating people like they were Critters.

Man you folks are a hard crowd. Remember the tiny singing chicks?

So… anyone want to see the Japanese 2016 reboot Shin Godzilla aka Godzilla: Resurgence instead?

That clearly falls under the puppet, costume… weird old movie thing.

No, because I’ve seen it and it was pretty boring.

They weren’t really tiny, it was just camera angle and set design.

I agree with this statement in its entirety.

For me, it was like a pandemic relief package of mindless-monster-mischief delivered into my living room, via a service I didn’t even know I had! (HBO Max). At its most, it’s a great popcorn movie, where you turn your brain off, revert to that 9 year old kid you used to be, and let it all float by you in all its CG monster smack-down greatness. At its worst, it’s a very poorly written mess of movie that I will definitely watch again, just to remember how bad (good) it was.

This was not a movie so bad that it’s good, it’s a movie so free that it’s a tolerable curiosity. Which might as well be HBO Max’s slogan starting with the Snyder cut, if it’s included in your cable package like it is for me. Got a pretty good feeling about Mortal Kombat continuing that trend.

More boring than Godzilla 2014??? Execpt the meta-delicious incest between Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

Yes, definitely. A lot of it is about government bureaucracy.

I know a girl who prefers Shin Godzilla to the 2014 one but she is kind of weird.

Isn’t that supposed to be not-so-veiled criticism of Japanese government’s handling of the 2011 tsunami?

I think it was something like that, sure. It’s almost certainly a smarter movie with more to say than any of the American Godzillas ever. It’s also very short on giant monster action and the bureaucracy stuff just bored me to tears. The one thing I will say to mitigate that is that the version I was watching only had one audio track and it was an English dub, which was as dubs generally are, horrible. It’s possible I would have liked it a bit better if it were in the original language with subs. But I can’t be bothered to try it again.

Finally, a Godzilla ranking that matters! (Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 is indeed terrible, and I love munching popcorn to it in the background of a house party.)

I fast forwarded through swaths of this one, but I appreciated the reveal of MechaGodzilla & enjoyed having Ghidorah take over the MechaGodzilla suit. (Oh, cry me a river about spoilers!)

The big dumb fight scenes were big, dumb, and somewhat fun. 3/10 wouldn’t watch again (but may YouTube fight scene montage for house party)

I feel left out for not having seen this movie yet. I also want to opine about whether it’s just dumb or entertaining and dumb.

I want to say this movie lost me when they had to go through the Earth’s magic hymen to get into the Hollow World, but they were annoying me with the way they cheated the scale from the first monster encounter. Not just the ludicrous idea that Kong magically quadrupled in size since Skull Island in order to make him a threat to Godzilla, but the fact that both monsters seemed to shrink and grow as the different scenes required.