The action roguelite thread

Another FPS/roguelite, this one released today. Positive impressions but not a lot of info in the steam page

So what are your thoughts on… the big one? You know, the one with a biblical name and lots of poop?

There’s supposed to be yet another update coming in two months:

Honestly, I lost interest somewhere after the second or third add-on/remake. It feels like a game that you need to have been following for the past decade to really “get” what’s going on now.

I love that they added fan mods to the game, though. It’s like every nerd’s dream: “Guys, what if they make a mod so good, they put it in the actual game?

I remember that every time there’s an update the 'tubers compete against each other to get to 100% first. Is there a good video of a Let’s Play that goes from zero to 100% where you can still follow what’s going on?

I never got into it. The action always felt stiff to me and there was so much about the game I just knew I’d never understand without looking it up, and that’s a big no to me. Critically though, I just didn’t enjoy it enough to keep going back.

The thing to remember about BOI is that it was the second roguelite ever made, right after original Spelunky. IMO, BOI looked more impressive as a flash game, since Edmund is a Flash artist. Rebirth goes for a 16-bit style that’s supposedly what he was aiming for originally, but his art suffers as a result.

Another thing to remember is that he designed the game in roughly 3 months, and as a result, the game is not well thought out. The main issue the game suffers from is that there is no bound to the number of upgrades and power combos you can have. This allows almost every run to become an OP-fest, if you know what you’re doing.

The second issue is the fact that the game gives you no hints about how to become more powerful. If you lack knowledge, the game will seem extremely difficult. But if you look up the secrets, you’ll realize that the ‘proper’ way to play the game is fairly easy, and most enemies in the second half of the game will barely touch you once you increase your damage output, for example. This game cemented in my mind the idea that secret-based gameplay is problematic.

However, in terms of atmosphere, Lynch-ian story and action, the game is pretty darn good. You must look up the secrets after you defeat mom – you simply won’t make any significant progress without them. And the key is to realize that the game isn’t really hard – it’s balanced around you becoming god-like in new and fun ways. If you want to play an easy rogue-lite game that looks hard, this is it.

In terms of this expansion, it’s based on a user mod that is phenomenal, offering alternate paths through the game, and is far better than anything Edmund has been able to add on in any of his official expansions. I’m really glad they’re integrating it.

Teknopants’ Shoot First came out in 2010. It’s not very well known but it predates Binding of Isaac. But yeah, Spelunky and Binding of Isaac certainly popularised the genre. I recall enjoying Shoot First and it had local co-op to boot!

Ah, my intuition was right then! These are not the kind of roguelites for me! :-)

Wow that’s really interesting! I never heard of it. I’m pretty sure Edmund mentioned being inspired by Spelunky, and other roguelite developers were inspired by both Spelunky and BOI, so it seems like a fossil of a dead evolutionary branch in the roguelite genre, which is really cool.

I’d say its on the same branch as Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon (both even support co-op), maybe Binding of Isaac but its single-screen Smash TV rooms make it feel very different spatially to the scrolling labyrinths of Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon. I don’t really follow what influenced what so I’m just shooting from the hip here! :-)

It seems Teknopants’ website is down so Shoot First isn’t as easy to track down now. I still have a version kicking around on my hard drive if anyone is interested (it’s a free game).

New map for Risk of Rain

Ohhh, nice.

interesting tidbit of info on the progression Unexplored 2 as I do my once a month scouring for new information. Also if anyone hasn’t seem the Gamescom footage it was really impressive. It’s shaping up to be a huge and ambitious improvement on the original imo.

Dreamscaper has a new update, with a new environment, enemy, items and revised combat sytsem

New features
The Eagle Temple:

• New environments
  • New traps
  • 6 new foes with their elite versions
  • 2 new Champions
  • 1 new Temple Boss
  • 5 new Curses
    Eternal Guardians
    🍉 Dark Mines
    Biting Breath
    Sky Fire
    Chromatic Defense

So did anyone try Rogue Legacy 2? It’s still in Early Access (ew), but they’ve already done a few major patches.

Image says almost everything. Free update on March for RoR2, and later a paid expansion

That sounds great. Played some more on Sunday and have the bug again…

I have this thread somewhat forgotten…

Let’s see, Gunfire Reborn has sold 1 million copies and posted thiss roadmap

Speaknig of roadmaps, here it’s RL2
https://roguelegacy2.com/roadmap

Dead Cells had a new update with a bit of new content past month, and a new DLC for $5 coming in a few weeks.

Hades has been a big hit, with millions of copies sold and several goty awards.

Undungeon showing some creatures gifs

Skul Hero Slayers is launching on Jan 21st

Curse of Dead Gods release is also getting close, only the last step remains

Wait, still more roadmaps! Here it’s one for Nova Drift

Oh, Atomicrops also had a free update:
New Content

• New Boss: Unfriendly Worm

• New Boss: U.F.B.

• New Boss: The Spore You Know

• New Boss: Itsy Bitsy

• Rare Blood Moon nights where new vicious enemies will swarm your farm. Watch out, lest you lose your entire harvest!

• New Alien Ant featuring additional permanent upgrades.

• New Scroll: Blood Spell: Fertilize all crops and all nearby enemies bleed fertilizer.

• New Scroll: Cataclysm: Cut hundreds of weeds, damage all enemies, expand farmable land and till soil.

• 10 New Achievements to put your skills to the test and let you unlock Topiaries.

• Topiaries - Unlock achievements to gain topiaries on your farmhouse. Topiaries provide permanent bonuses.

• Added Mandarin Chinese voice over to intro cinematic when game language is set to Chinese.

I should probably give Atomicrops another spin after cracking year 10. I’ll be as rusty as an old hoe now.

Devs posted this morning that it leaves EA on Feb. 23:

Interesting, thanks! Damn, they should pay you for the update news work you’re doing.

Haha, or at least a title: Chronicler of the Action Roguelite.