The action roguelite thread

lol. Yes, initially.

A few tips:

• Try to always dash away from enemy. Until you know the pattern.
  • Pits. You can walk up to them, then dash. You cannot fall off by walking but you can by dashing.
  • Spend your gold in levels to buy upgrades for your Arcana. They have a blue border.
  • Mid Bosses. Hit them when they don’t have the yellow border to stun them.
  • Stage Bosses have 3 / 4 / 5 attack pattern. Meaning that in stage 1 they will do 3 different attacks before they can be stun. Do not try to hit until before that unless you get more into the game. So dodge 3 patterns. Then go in with your combo, rinse lather, repeat.

Hope this helps.

Anyone played it yet? Eurogamer gave it a ‘recommended’, called it a ‘leftfield classic’. There are a bunch of more dissenting opinions though.

I believe it is day 0 only in terms of being able to purchase it on day 0. The content won’t actually release until later in the year:

The Gods Will Fall base game is complete with nothing locked away at initial release, if you don’t buy the Valiant Edition. The DLC is future extra content that is under development to be released later in 2021.

No, but I did watch two YouTubers play it. Looks incredibly cool, but not my cup of tea (looks really hard, for one thing).

The game is focused around a bunch of boss fights. You run about with a bunch of warriors, each with a different fighting style. When you pick a Dungeon to go into, you choose one of them. They are then locked in until they finish. If that warrior falls, they are out of action until you rescue them with another.

This has other wrinkles to it. Once a warrior falls, it might demoralize or strengthen the resolve of one of the others. Also, a particular warrior may have had nightmares about a particular dungeon, reducing their health there.

The dungeons themselves have a bunch of enemies before you reach the boss. Hunting down those underlines will reduce the bosses health bar before you fight them.

I don’t think I’m doing this justice trying to describe this, but it is quite unique and I thought the art style was pretty distinctive.

Sounds interesting, and the bosses look really stylish and creative to me. I’m going to try it… :)

The one boss I’ve seen looked crazy hard, and it was supposed to be the easiest in that particular run (apparently it changes from game to game?). The attacks were very fast and, keeping in mind I stuck at games like this, I couldn’t read the attacks at all.

Don’t worry, I’ll be refunding if it is super frustrating. :)

Looks like it’s getting smashed on Steam reviews for not working too well with mouse and keys, if anyone here cares about that. I’ll be using controller.

I forgot that. Apparently mouse isn’t used at all?

Apparently so, no mouse even in menus. Not sure that matters too much as there isn’t a lot of menu use in the game, but Steam commentators are not going to be happy about it. ;)

So I put two hours into Gods Will Fall. I beat two bosses, and have two of my heroes languishing in other levels where they were one-shot lol.

I love the proc gen band of warriors you get. But I kind of thought the levels would be proc gen as well for some reason, but I don’t think they are.

The combat feels pretty good, all the weapons are quite different. It’s impactful with great animations. However there are only a couple moves, and nothing I’ve seen adds anything extra. Character development just seems to be buffs/debuffs, and weapons with improved stats you get as rewards for clearing a level. And by ‘stats’, I mean a star rating between one and five.

So I’m not sure about the longevity there. I haven’t had time to see if there’s a meta either, since I’m still early in the first run - not sure there is one, so it’s all kind of simple.

No tech issues apart from some screen tearing at the bottom of the screen (and I have Vsync on with a Gsync screen).

Unsure if I will refund. Was having fun but a couple times there caught myself not looking forward to playing through the same level again eight times if I fell at the boss, especially after realising there was no proc gen for the next run…

Thanks for the detailed feedback, @Profanicus. Please let us know if you do end up refunding it, or if you ultimately think it’s worth the asking price.

I have yet to make it to a boss!

Hows was the platforming? That’s my biggest fear/concern.

I don’t think there was anything I saw that I’d really class as platforming in the two levels I played through.

You do kind of jump and climb up to get higher in places but they were always big blocks, easily traversed. I crossed some narrow walkways across large drops without issue (with controller, keys may have been harder).

The one area that killed a couple of my crew was trying to fight on a raft, it was large but pretty easy to accidentally fall off!

Who knows what is in the other eight levels though!

The issue is I’m at the two hour refund threshold, and I do feel like I want to play more if only to see what happens when my whole team dies. Maybe I’ll look on Youtube for that.

Reviews mention the game is short, so I guess nothing really happens apart from you play again from scratch. It’s also fairly cheap I suppose, if I get maybe 12 hours out of it.

Hi guys. I’m a huge fan of roguelites and have done a couple of video reviews on Skul: The Hero Slayer and the upcoming Dandy Ace. Links below:
Skul
Dandy Ace

I have my eyes put on Dandy Ace, although I know he tried to do a kickstarter to gain some funds and failed. Market is saturated, I guess.

I remember watching a video or two for that one sometime last year. Probably Wanderbots and Retromation

I woke up and felt like playing some more, so I kept it! :)
I think I got about five hours now, mostly spent investigating all the levels and working the game out. Getting better at the combat, it is quite a good bit of fun for now at least.

So you guys got me to buy Gods Will Fall.

I, uh, beat it in a single day… it lasted five hours, maybe six? It’s okay, but I think the Eurogamer review oversold it by a lot :

Basically the gimmick is that the only random things in the game are your 8 dudes and the dungeons’ difficulty levels.

Your characters gets perks and “issues”, somewhat like Darkest Dungeon, but it’s pretty hard to care about your characters since you never even get to have a good look at them and the menus are extremely barebones. The most interesting bit was that one of my characters turned coward (less max HP) after being rescued, but I decided to send him in a dungeon anyway. After killing a bunch of enemies the whole thing turned into a bonus instead. He then became the team’s MVP! Hurray for Groktar! After that he fell in a poorly telegraphed pit. Bye bye Groktar. :-/

The dungeon’s difficulty level being random is a mystery to me. You can only leave a dungeon by beating it, so if your first dungeon is an extra-hard one, you’re shit out of luck. It’s an annoyance, really. All your dudes level up when you beat a dungeon so things start snowballing once you beat a god or two.

The only “metaprogression” aspect in the game is that there’s a well that lets you either a) throw items in it or b) retrieve items thrown in past runs. You can only do ONE of either once per run. In other words, it’s very limited.

The combat works well, but is a bit floaty. Don’t expect Sekiro. There’s heavy emphasis on parrying, but I found it much simpler to just dodge out of attacks. The same two enemies are basically 75% of all your opponents.

Basically, after you beat the game once there’s no real replay value unless you want to get all the trophies. It plays pretty much the same every time. I’m also a bit annoyed that I got sold DLC that doesn’t exist yet. The store page really isn’t clear about that at all.

Well you are much better than me, I only beat 2 bosses in my 5 hours so far, and got beat by a few others! :)

and placement of items and lore things. Not much…

You can leave you warrior there until later, and go to a different (hopefully easier) dungeon. Though I’ve had warriors lose stats if they had strong bonds with their trapped fellow that I chose to desert!

I imagine that if it was simple linear difficulty, then the game would be even shorter than it is now.

But yeah I was concerned about longevity too but the fact is most games I buy rarely last me 5 hours anyway before I get bored. :P

I dunno, maybe the game could tell you how hard the dungeons are? I don’t think it’d really mess up the concept.

For what it’s worth, it really dig the title, though!