The action roguelite thread

Exactly, but spending it can take time depending on how close you are to item dispensers and chests (or how fast/mobile you are). Sometimes it’s better to just bounce, waste money but save time to explore on the next level.

Unspent gold is turned into XP when you teleport to the next map, and early on it’s better to progress quickly than to spend too much time backtracking for items.

Risk of Rain 2. Ugh, normal mode is so hard. I barely make it to the teleporter. So many enemies. I wonder if I should dial it down to easy.

Yea I’m 10 hrs in and normal is hard for me too… I tend to die at the second or third boss. There’s a learning curve, you gotta know their attack patterns, safespots, as well as the right balance between trash clearing and chipping at the boss’ health.

The game is pretty swingy. I think it’s because how the most items allow you to scale your damage output, but there are few that scale your hp or armor. So what I found is that I’m doing it fine on the stage 5 or 6, killing stuff then suddenly I get hit by a pair of attacks of elites and I’m dead on the ground. From 80% hp to -10%. Game over.

Synthetik 2 announced

Yes!!!

Day one purchase. No question.

You just made me reinstall Synthetik, you bastard.

You uninstalled it?!

Dandy Ace tries to improve the game feel a bit

Robquest has a hefty upgrade

Class Rework
All classes have been reworked to differentiate their playstyle more than before. Most classes are keeping the same abilities as before, but we focused on creating mechanics within each class to tie them up with each other or/and with the class perks.
Perk Rework
As a result of the modification of classes, all perks have been either reworked or removed entirely and new perks are coming into play. We won’t be going over the details of each of these changes in the patch notes as they are too numerous. Rest assured that we took extra caution to keep the most beloved perks, those we all love picking and playing.
Weapon Changes
We added up to 7 new weapons, among them are brand new weapons but also older weapons that were removed from the live version at some point (which some of our veteran players will surely remember). In addition, weapons have been rebalanced overall and we modified their progression system. Finally, most weapon affixes have been normalized and/or renamed and new affixes came into play to prepare the future of the weapon affix system.
Level Polish & Rework
Several levels have received updates regarding environment, random variations, ceiling connectors, enemy placement, challenge flow, rail placement and some other more discrete changes. The changes were mostly aimed at increasing the quality of these levels by spreading the different systems and designs we’ve developed for the newer stages of the game.

Dead Cells coming to Curse of the Dead Gods

I have a very weird fetish for only having games I am actively playing installed, and I don’t even try to justify it logically.

A game I didn’t know aobut

Features:
• Action game with stealth elements in a rogue-lite game loop
• Play as the steadfast Ghost of the Prince of Midra
• Possess the enemies you fight with and absorb their combat features to go on in the battle at your best
• Master different characters’ playstyles, improve your skills, and adapt to an ever-changing world
• Explore the wonderful Kingdom of Midra and learn its legends and lore
• 20 characters with different abilities, weapons and playstyles
• 10 procedurally-generated levels set in 5 different biomes
• Dozens of essences and skills to make each run different
• Unlock permanent upgrades between runs
• Secrets and bosses are waiting for you
• 3D graphics inspired by traditional Asian designs

Konami wants a piece of the sweet action roguelite genre

https://youtu.be/6FjlytiqFQ8

Looks nice but the screenshots are extremely busy. I can barely make out platforms, projectiles, etc in the still shots.

Rain Blood Chronicles: Gaiden

I wish I had your problem. Would save me a metric ton of SSD investment. On the other hand I only have a 30mbps connection, and with the install size of games growing massively I prefer to keep them installed than wait an age to download when I have a sudden whim to play something specific.

It’s on sale for cheap on Switch right now and I had some coins, so I grabbed it again, and I love the portable format for it, but oh man I have made it Flame Princess Zeal twice and just absolutely gotten my ass handed to me by her.

Some annoyances, but the worst one is that I can so far buy oodles of X and Y arcana, but I have yet to be offered a single alternative to the basic slash and dash. Is this just random? Can you ever equip more than one relic? I hate those jumping block guys, so tedious. I feel like there could be a lot more enemy variation. There isn’t much difference between the elemental areas. Still, I’m playing it so there must be something there!

So I unlocked the 3rd character in Risk Of Rain 2 after beating the 3rd portal. The hunter/ninja… played a little bit with her, great char when using a controller (PS4), no more precision aiming.

What I loved about Gods Will Fall, you knew exactly when the game will end, 10 bosses and done. In RoR2, I don’t know how many portals to beat, also when I was at the 4th portal, the difficulty was way too high. It’S a game I come back now and then to play for an hour and see how far I can get.