The action roguelite thread

Yeah, I always intended to return to it after rolling the credits but once I was ‘out the loop’ I didn’t have much desire to go back, and still don’t to be honest. I could happily return to Atomicrops and Going Under though, it’s just finding time between other games…

I crave gameplay similar to Hades but in spirit but no, nothing. Hand of Fate 2 might be the best. Void Bastards leaves me cold. Dead Cells do not seem interesting after first difficulty victory.

I liked Unexplored 1 but it’s not so much action as it’s real-time Nethack, so I look forward to Unexplored 2 but don’t expect it to fill that particular void in my heart.

I really need to give Hand of Fate a spin, owned it for ages. I was a big fan of Void Bastards after a relatively cold start myself.

This has been on my radar for a long time and I’m sure I’ll pick it up eventually on Switch:

Until the launch, I had no clue what the actual combat would look like, and it seems like a snappy Hades-like.

Update: One of the Steam reviews mentioned that it only has two levels? Might skew way more towards its dating sim aspect than roguelite.

It’s on Game Pass so slap down a dollar and try it out!

Watched a friend stream the past couple nights and I’d say yes, it’s skewed more towards dating sim. Your character gets experience and levels up each time you exit the dunj while the weapons get experience upon clearing a floor and run ending. Once you max their exp you then unlock the next date which allows them to level up and unlock a new ability (maxing out at level 6). From what I’ve seen there’s no time pressure and no penalty for dying on a run.

She just cleared the second dunj and the story feels like it’ll wrap soon. Probably 10 hours or so of gameplay.

I love the concept alone for Boyfriend Dungeon (much akin to how Crypt of the Necrodancer won me with its idea before I ever played it). BD is a much lighter experience than Hades and not as deep as a dating sim compared to something like Tokimeki Memorial. Two dungeons, seven characters who are all interested in you, and a Rogue-lite experience that really wants you to win. I thoroughly enjoyed my 10 hours of safe, PG-13 weapon dating and fighting. The soundtrack fit the theme well, too.

A FPS/roguelite. Competition for Roboquest I’d say, it reminded it to it with all the robot enemies, although the environment reminded me of Zigguart or Immortal Redneck.

A youtuber I know because Gunfire Reborn is recommending this game

edit: it’s a third person action rpg - roguelite, which has all the typical depth of action rpgs (lots of loot, lots of stats for loot, lots of talents, crafting, etc) but the combat definitively is on the jank side of things.

The camera movement in all the little examples on the steam page makes it really uncomfortable to look at

Never Returns is in EA now. 10€. However the reports says it’s still too beta, the translation to English half done and the combat is clunky. /puts a reminder to check in 6 months.

News of the day.

Fabular got their first news/update of 2021. They show off new enemies, new class, upgrade trees and talk of new areas. I wonder if they will release it this year.

Rogue Legacy 2 announces a big update for September, with reworked combat and classes. They house roles could be good if they can alleviate the grind:
https://i.imgur.com/XYIpqSh.png

GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon has a second major update, with changes requested by the community and new content. It wasn’t very well recieved at first, but maybe they can steer the ship to port.

I picked up Curse of the Dead Gods now that it’s on Game Pass, and have been playing a fair amount over the last couple of weeks. It’s a good set of combat mechanics and weapons to experiment with, though it could use some more variety in enemies and dungeon pieces (especially trap rooms, which aren’t very interesting after the first couple of times).

Just unlocked the full pantheon dungeon, and wow is it a massive difficulty spike. I was able to clear most of the previous dungeons in 1~3 tries, but am struggling to get past the avatar fight at the end of the first stratum – those were hard enough at the end of a run with time to put together a decent build!

Also seems like some source of reliable healing is pretty critical, since I’m not good enough to never get hit. The heals on killing a burning enemy and enemy killed by the environment seem the best to me so far.

Healing is only important on the last 2 difficulties. You can usually race the bosses on the first difficulty.

You’re right about that difficulty spike though. It took me lots of tried initially but then something click and I went through all the areas getting hit only a few times.

Those lightning babies are a run killer on hard no matter how good you are.

One tip, I got use to pressing the roll and then parry at the sametime. This way if you’re out of charges you would parry.

A few more (unreleased) games to mention

A dual-stick shooter with cartoon western theme

Similar perspective, but this seems more melee centric, and done in Korea

This is has a striking visual style, with detailed pixelart sprites and fights with dozens of them

Loot River is a weird game with some… tetris thrown in the formula of action roguelite?

Finally we have Astral Ascent, a more traditional 2d action-platform game, but it will feature more narration, Hades style, and it has 4 distinct characters

a ‘retro fps roguelite’ (sic)

I don’t know what to think about it, the idea of only using the magical hands as weapons doesn’t seem good to me. They could have at least used interesting animations of the hands doing gestures to attack or something.

They look like they’re doing that schoolyard thing with the little folded up paper toy that tells you who you’re going to marry. Silly!

5ks57v

I’m up to 31 failed runs so far, and the farthest I’ve gotten is the second boss. I’ve definitely become less dependent on healing, as I fairly rarely get hit on the regular levels now. I mostly gave up on the healing-from-environmental-kills relic. It was huge earlier on when I was taking more damage from regular enemies, and could get a full heal from a lucky room or two. But I’ve had too many times now where when I need the healing but get a sequence of rooms without appropriately placed traps.

At this point I’ve gotten the first-tier champions down pretty well, and usually only take a few hits on the second-tier champions or the Snake boss. But the Jaguar and Eagle bosses are my bane, and I can’t quite seem to reliably get their patterns down, even when I come in with close to full health.

Gradually getting there though!

The lightning babies never give me much trouble since their attacks are so slow and telegraphed. Among regular enemies, I’d say the ones that cause me the most trouble are the swordmasters, whose double slash seems to always have just a bit more reach than I expect, and harpies, where I have a bad habit of coming out of my dodge roll right where their swoop attack ends.

What’s your preference on blessings? I’ve been using the higher rarity loot from chests and enemies, since for most relics that means double or triple their main effect, which makes a huge difference. Currently also using the 120 corruption limit to let me be more aggressive with early purchases, and the full stamina refill on parry. I used to love the one that gives 50% damage bonus for swapping back and forth between main and 2-hand weapons, but stopped because it’s useless against bosses, which is where I actually need help.

First, the above post is spam. Ignore. I’ve reported it, please report it too

I usually use the one that give you Dexterity on a perfect room and the extra Perception and gold. It depends on the weapon. The “50% of your fire attack” turns into Fire attack is absolutely amazing on some builds. The one that give the non-optional boss and champions extra drops (2->5) is really good too. It’s like have an extra 4-5 rooms of loot for free.

As an advice and maybe even a small spoiler, but get lots of money for the run. You’ll need lots of gold before the final boss.