The action roguelite thread

Played a few games of Anvil. Despite not really enjoying twin stick shooters and also thinking it looked a bit chaotic, I had a fun time with it. Lots of weapons and upgrades on each run. Some cool enemies and bosses. Hope they keep it going and don’t change too much of the general gameplay loop.

What I’ve watched from Anvil videos was a bit… lacking, because the abuse of melee enemies, so it was mostly the player firing continuously while going backwards, or back and strafing left or right.

I left Rogue Legacy 2 for now, I beat the first four bosses, and have a solid grasp on the good and bad of the game, I will come back with 1.0.

Dead Cells new DLC is next week, so I guess I will come back to DC then.

You know what, I had pending to come back to Hades at some point, I still hadn’t unlocked all the weapon aspects, but I never returned to it. It’s weird how after the big success of the game, it never had an expansion, dlc or even some kind of content update.

Well it was in early access for a good while. I think there’s something to be said for a game just being done, no need to add dlc and so forth. Hades is still the high water mark for me in terms of moment to moment action but after over fifty hours I, too, feel no real pull to go back to it.

Right now playing Doomsday Hunters, formerly I, Dracula: Genesis, which got a big update in October, and Monolith along with its expansion. DH’s eclectic visual style is fabulous. The game underneath is not bad, either, but it does not lead to the same feelings that Hades or Dead Cells do. It is better than it was, though, and I’ll continue to play it. Monolith is very compelling, despite being all of 95mb. Of course twin stick shooters didn’t exist back then, but in all other ways it gives every indication of being a NES game. There is even a level you can access, I think as part of the DLC which is wholly integrated, that looks like a Gameboy color game. Despite the “main character” being a floaty little ship, I am finding it wonderful to play.

Edit: Yeah, dude, Monolith is real fuckin’ good.

A Robot named Fight, a action roguelite very inspired in super Metroid, is 1€ here
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-new-year-bundle

I discovered two more roguelites, but they don’t seem that good. In the first one Hat Kid appears?

More games for 2022

I see game makers are resorting to car manufacturer naming practices. The all-new Dodge Duil. Honda Koboo. Chevy Tunche.

This is 4€ right now

I think I played an early demo of this a year ago? Or at least a game that was visually very similar lol (edit: watching the trailer again, yeah it’s the same game). It seems it released past month. Fairly positive reviews

Note also that it was part of that enormous itch.io bundle for racial equality if you picked that up - that’s where I’ve been playing it!

ohhh. So I own it! lol. It’s here

The gift that keeps on giving.

Itch was such a mess, I don’t even remember how to go into that account anymore. I certainly wasn’t going to click on all the games in the bundle to add them to my collection.

They added a button to do that not long after the bundle happened, but I have no interest in doing that, either. If you’re logged in at the top of any game page that was in the bundle it’ll tell you you own it and give you a download button.

My experience is a little different. Titles in bundles that weren’t the two largest will show that ownership banner. The bundles for Palestinian Aid and Racial Justice and Equity require me to have clicked “Download” at least once, and then that title is brought into my normal library. Itch still has this note on those two bundles:

Projects in this bundle are hidden in your library by default untill you first access them in order to avoid flooding your library.

The Download action seems to be what counts as “access”. Just going to the title page doesn’t do it for me. Hope that helps folks.

Weird, there are some games, like A Short Hike, that don’t have the download button, but there are others, like Walden, which I am positive I have never downloaded or played which show the download button. Guess it is a bit of a mess, still. I wonder if at some point I went through the big huge list of page after page and clicked an “add to library” button or something on anything that looked even the least bit interesting. But then why no A Short Hike?! I must have played that on Steam later than the bundle…maybe I already knew I had it on Steam? Anyway, there’s so much stuff in there that I forgot even existed, like Extreme Meatpunks Forever.

I’ve been futzing with Curse of the Dead Gods lately. I like it mostly, enjoy the chunky combat, but wish there was a bit faster progression now that I’ve unlocked the full 3 section areas (2 champions and a boss). Just takes a little too long to do a full run for another go at the 3rd boss of the section. I also think it’s a bit cheap they start you at 20 corruption.

Do you want to pay $1 for a small action roguelite? Here

Gods will Fall is free on EGS.

… this game was really a failure eh? It has only 33 reviews on Steam (that’s nothing! Wizard of Legend has 12k!, Hades 161k!), with an overall Mixed score.

Vampire Survivors is a great little Robotron/Crimsonland-esque game in EA. Much more content planned than implemented, but it’s only 3 bucks and could certainly occupy a few hours.

You don’t shoot. You move and everything else happens on its own, but there’s a real rhythm to it that is surprising, because some attacks might shoot the direction you are facing or a particular direction. So, you might be moving away, but want to switch directions when you know a certain attack is about to happen. You aren’t making music here, but it kind of feels like one of those games where you do.

There are character unlocks, item unlocks through accomplishing certain things, and meta-progression. Not a looker, but way more fun that you might think, just looking at it.

One other thing I really like about this is that it’s tense, but not terribly frantic, especially early. I wouldn’t describe it as twitchy.