The action roguelite thread

Every time I get to a new area I feel like I’m never going to progress. I got to Tubal now and it seems like I’m having a hard time even damaging him much. I got him close to the half way point, but not there. I’m level 152 now.

Edit: I need someone to come here and pry the controller from my hands and make me play something else please.

C’mon noob we’re all waiting for you to post your sub-40 minute no-hit NG+8 boss rush VOD

Rogue Legacy 2’s available in the Epic Games Store for $15 currently, while their intro sale plus the summer sale combine.

The only thing I’ll be accomplishing sub 40 minutes is downloading the game. I take those wins.

What’s everyone’s favorite class in RL2 so far? I only have Knight, Barbarian, Valkyrie, Mage, Ranger and Cook unlocked (been avoiding others for now) and by far my favorite is the cook. Being able to hit back projectiles and give everyone burning status is just too good.

A video of all the times I can die in 40 minutes has a much greater possibility :-)

I tend to play the knight, which is funny because I barely ever block. I like the high HP. I am definitely more comfortable with the melee classes than the ranged. The boxer is pretty fun too.

Gunslinger, Boxer and Ronin.

My favorites are (not in any particular order): Cook, Ronin, Dragon Lancer, Astromancer, Duelist. Only class I haven’t unlocked is the Pirate.

I made it to the last boss, and like all the others he seems difficult!

Unexplored was one of my favorite games of 2017, and one of my favorite “Brogue” like games of all time (this is my own use of the term; I mean a Rogue type game with randomized elements but your character is the same each start and develops depending on the items you find as you play). It’s one of the few rogue games I actually beat!

Anyway, I’ve been excited for Unexplored 2 for ages, but no one seems to ever cover it and it kept slipping off my radar (it didn’t help it’s been on EPIC for a year in early access where I just plumb forgot about it) but I see it’s coming to Steam on the 27th and it looks like it’s coming OUT of Early Access at that time!

Here is a developers quick explanation of the game in under 3 minutes.

On EPIC it’s $25 down to $20 right now and I expect a similar price on Steam, so it shouldn’t be a huge commitment. I hope it turns out amazing.

I bought it on a whim, after reading a pair of articles that gave me the impression of an original, interesting premise, without having played the first one. I’m hopeful!

This is going to be awesome, it’s just a matter if it is awesome on release day, or after a few more patches. I’m really hoping for the former, though part of me expects the latter after experiencing a few of the betas. That said, I’m still eagerly awaiting the 27th.

This is not entirely what I was hoping to hear. Would you elaborate?

Firstly it should be said that the puzzles and new tech for world generation absolutely feel like an evolution, exactly what I wanted out of Unexplored 2. Sometimes it will generate a large area across a set of levels that fit together with such a sense of narrative design that it astonishes you. I should also note that I have not cleared U2. I also never cleared U1 (though I came close at times).

However, throughout a period of about 6 months I was in the betas, the game felt really content skint and bugs constantly interrupted the flow of the game. Considering how the last beta, which was still quite buggy, was only something like two months ago, I expect almost all of their time to be focused on bugfixing and not necessarily adding or implementing new content they have in the pipe already. Maybe I’m wrong - but that’s what I’d guess is the best case scenario - not much more in the way of content, but hopefully most of the major bugs fixed.

Consider how often the early game in Unexplored surprised you with new things - just as often as the mid game and late game across multiple runs. That feeling was noticeably absent in my dozen or so runs in U2 (I only checked in with each beta for a few runs a piece), where I saw mostly the same types of areas and same types of puzzles every time. I am hopeful and fairly confident U2 will eventually capitalize on its promise, but I think 1.0 will probably be more of a starting point that will be filled out over time. We’ll see.

RPS really liked it

I wonder if they reviewed 1.0 or the last beta… I’m not at my gaming PC so I can’t tell if 1.0 is pushed to Epic yet.

Releases tomorrow, I didn’t try the beta despite backing it. They just sent me my steam key as well, my name may be in the credits so it may be hard to give an unbiased opinion. I know it will be in @tomchick 's top 10 list at least.

Good! although PC gamer are less hyped

Across these two reviews it sounds like we should brace for at least a moderate helping of bugs along with our waybread in 1.0. I’m a little disappointed, but ultimately okay with that. Though depending on how severe the issues are, I may hold off on really digging in.

Yeah it doesn’t sound good!

PC Gamer:

Although future updates have been promised, the “full release” build (the developers’ description) I played for review is currently too broken to interact with as intended, and this uncertainty taints every challenge my Wayfarer faces.

I’ve tried Unexplored 2 a few times, during beta. I really really want to like it. That said, I struggled some with the very first quest, once or twice wondering if the procedural generation was broken. Granted, this was the beta, so it might have been broken.

It’s definitely a roguelike in the sense of the word, though. If you’re not careful, it’s rather easy to die in the first 10 minutes.

I was not a fan of the floaty feel of the combat.