The action roguelite thread

1.0 impressions: Noticeable performance issues, even on a competent VR gaming rig. It feels worse than the betas. There is a lot of polish that needs to be added in pretty much every aspect of the game, with many visual glitches in menus, and hitching that occurs whenever pretty much anything happens. Even controller support had weird glitches right out of the box (button bindings were wrong at first for an Xinput controller, but after a few seconds, fixed themselves?).

Every time I sit down to play single player games (not super often these days) and I think about playing Caves of Qud or Stranger of Paradise or what have you, I end up playing Rogue Legacy 2 instead. It is just so easy to pick up and play and is very much a “one more run” kind of game. I’ve unlocked a bunch of classes and have beaten two bosses and reached four different areas (that I can go through, two others I can’t due to lack of heirloom), and man it’s such a good little game. I prefer the art style of Dead Cells but I think I like the moment to moment gameplay of this one quite a bit more.

So, Unexplored 2? This seems to be the thread here with the most mentions…

I picked it up today on XSX (currently $22), and I like it but it seems a bit buggy, still. I ran through the tutorial, the prologue, and a couple characters that died and restarted, as that’s the structure of the game. The I decided now that I ‘know what I’m doing’, I restarted the world completely. When choosing the new world, it doesn’t let me de/select the ‘specific content’ options anymore. And when I die now, it says I haven reached Haven yet, so I can’t continue with a new character in that world… even though I have (and yes, talked to the Lore Master, etc) So that’s a problem, because as mentioned, that’s kind of the point of the game.

Other than that, I’m liking it- I like the sense of exploration and discovery. Combat is a bit meh, and I really wish there were a proper lock-on. Loading screens are very frequent, though, and while relatively speedy on the XSX, they take long enough they’re really disrupting the flow of the game.

So I finally finished Rogue Legacy 2 100% achievement. Got to NG+13

This is probably my going to be my favorite game for this year. Unless @Lykurgos know of an amazing card game that coming out of EA.

The grinding in this game is not what people say. I never grinded in this game. I never felt that the bonuses the gold provided gave me a huge uplift except for 2 things.

the triple jump and dash). Once you get those the game opens up in a way crazy way.
The only really negative thing I have to say is that there are 3 classes are much better with a M+Kb due to how the aiming works for ranged attacks.

I’m waiting until it’s patched a bit, meanwhile I’m playing a pair of other games.

Incoming from the makers of Monster Train, but not until 2023, so Rogue Legacy 2 is safe for now :-P

Also not a card game!

Well, it was patched this morning. Seems to have fixed my Lagacy bug- but that may be because I erased all save data last night and played through the tutorial again when I started this morning. Took my forever to die to test it, though, heh. I did get a new bug- it hung on loading a new area I was exploring, and then when I reloaded, camera was ‘glitchy’, a little. So, probably still. needs some patching, but at least the core game system seems to be working.

He has released 5 patches since release. The last one had 25 fixes. Which, in a way, indicates the game still isn’t finished, it seems it needs a pair of months more in the oven.

Ouch. And I thought I’d got lucky getting the patch the next day after I’d bought it. Turns out patch day is every day! Ah, well. Not going to have time to play for the next several days, anyway.

The new Devolver roguelite game, Cult of the Lamb, has now a demo

It will release on August.

Two more candidates for the thread

Rotwood is a more traditional 4 player crawler, but it seems it will have some roguelite aspects too.

Like many of the Amplitude Studios games, it will mix some genres, but it sems the base is an action roguelite.

Endless Dungeon looks like a remake of Dungeon of the Endless to me - some stuff sounds a little different but the core of transporting the crystal around and defending it with tower defense and your heroes seems pretty similar.

Yeah, but the transition to real time action is a big change.

In what sense? It was already a real time game.

It depends whether the door mechanic still exists because that was essentially the ‘next turn’ button. Until you opened a door you had all the time in the world to prepare for the next wave. If the real-time element bleeds into the building/preparing phase then it becomes quite a different experience. I’ve not really been following development so I’ve no idea what shape it’s taking. Either way, Dungeon of the Endless is one of my all-time favourites so I can’t wait to see what Amplitude do with Endless Dungeon. The original mix of genres was so good.

Edit: I also get the impression that with Endless Dungeon you’ll have direct control of your characters, instead of just pointing and click which rooms they go in. That would be a big change.

Yeah the brief look at gameplay makes it look more Gungeon of the Endless than…whatever the first one was. I should pick it up for my phone but I’ve already bought it at least twice. xD

Nice.

Many of you won’t like the art design here (very anime, main character is a little girl with a high-pitched voice), but this looks like a lot of fun. You collect pets during a run and use them to perform attacks for you (ala stands from JoJo). You can freely switch the order of attacks to create your own combos. Each pet can also be used as a normal or special attack. Lots of roguelite progression here. It’s billed as a casual game, but there are quite a few systems, so it isn’t “simple”. For instance, each of the possible pets has a rapport gauge that can unlock new effects for their attacks. Noah also has different avatars to unlock which have their own ultimate abilities and bonus effects.

Let’s review what we have around here…

Tombstar will be out in July 20, and it’s looking nice. Here it’s a video.

Fabular will be finished… one day, I guess. They have updated their demo

These two games will be out in two days

Have a nice Death is expanding at a good pace, they have released a new level with new enemies, spells, etc

Roboquest has a new roadmap, that if it isn’t delayed more times, should be finished on early 2023
https://i.imgur.com/TvMskBm.png
On the past months they have iterated several times some of their systems, like health, weapon modules, progrsesion… it seems they weren’t happy with it.

Nova Drift had a post about new alternate bosses and new upgrades… but knowing him, releasing ‘soon’ may mean ‘in 5 months’

Warm Snow had a new class added past month

Beacon plans to have 4 big content updates, the first was released on Spring, and the next one is on Summer. The game didn’t click with me when I played it, but I will try again eventually.

Unexplored 2 is continuing with updates (more like finishing up the game now…), these are the non-bug fixes changes from the latest patches, to have an idea how the game is changing:

Warm Snow is such an odd name for a game.