The action roguelite thread

Someone should make a game called Yellow Snow. :)

Endless Dungeon is a revisit to the old one, but now it is a twinstick shooter and is realtime in addition to the door mechanic.

I got myself TombStar as a quick fix while waiting for Cult of the Lamb to launch next month. Only played 20-30 minutes so far. Pretty solid first impressions, but I haven’t had time yet to go in-depth on the weapon and upgrade system yet-

Rogue Legacy 2 continues to surprise me. I unlocked the Boxer, and they have a different yet great feeling move set. I want to box everything! Just a bit later, I ran across the Diva trait. It had me laughing several times with its perfect flourishes.

Yes, an extremely good little game.

I have played like… 75 minutes of Tombstar, and I can’t recommend it. It has a polished visual style, and very good enemy variety with different fire patterns and abilities (I praise it for that) but the action itself is lacking. Weapons feel weak, both in real effect and in sound, and in general you plink away the enemies. Mechanically they have focused on avoiding enemy fire, not in making the action feel good. Even the movement isn’t good, feeling somewhat floaty.

The variety in other areas apart from enemies isn’t very good (few character classes, poor build variety with perks, not a lot of weapons found in each run, no modifiers for them) and other factors like the metgraprogression or maybe special encounters or modifiers in the run aren’t up to par.

After having spent some more time with it, I agree with every single point.

Movement is floaty for sure. The weapons not only don’t feel very satisfying, the ones I’ve unlocked so far were pretty boring. Between a variety of laser projectile weapons, it’s pretty hard to tell what their distinct strengths and weaknesses are. The laser disc weapon should be fun, and manages somehow to not be. The only one I actually enjoyed was the one that lets you shoot timed explosives that stick to enemies.

I wish it wasn’t the case, but there’s sadly no reason to recommend Tombstar to anyone when there’s games like Enter the Gungeon or Nuclear Throne around. Even if you already played them. I was thinking about firing them up again quite a bit while playing TS.

Kingdom Gun is out. In the end, its a ‘Risk of Rain’ style of roguelite game, more exactly like RoR 1 as it’s 2d platformer. Same ever increasing difficulty, same rushing to find the boss and getting money to open chests.

However, it seems to have issues with balance and difficulty, and bugs. On Steam it’s 54% positive - Mixed, which is damn slow given it has a very nice pixelart which usually would have pushed the game toward the 80-85% range if the gameplay was decent.

edit: to be fair, they have released a patch already that improves things already.

Getting to the credits of Rogue Legacy 2 gave me chances to re-appraise some classes. I like how the barbarian gave me a tougher time during the exploration but chewed through bosses. When I finally broke down and unlocked the lame-sounding chef, it surprised me with a good set of thematic offensive and defensive traits. That first chef also went on to beat a mini-boss, a boss the first time seeing it, and almost the boss after that. The experience has not swayed me from judging classes by their names.

On the other hand, I think I structurally will never like the classes that allow aiming on their main attack. I like playing with the D-pad. Switching to a thumbstick for more precise aiming is as annoying as limiting aiming in 45 degree chunks. Most disappointing, though, is the pirate. Its unlock screen had me thinking the class would do more than it does. It will never overcome those too-high expectations.

Jeff Vogel just had a piece on endings. Rogue Legacy 2 hits the bad side of endings. “Congrats! Now play again to unlock all the hidden lore.” Sure, I’m not playing it for the story, but that approach still makes me think I’m missing out. I’m probably done playing. That ending just leaves me feeling a bit less satisfied.

The first round of RL2 is just the tutorial like in Hades. The difficulty adjustments and other bonuses aren’t unlocked until you finished the game once.

I agree with you on the aiming though. Aiming characters on the controllers is painful at best.

I have to finish RL2 twice? Ugh. I’ve only beat 3 bosses and have put SO much time in!

2 times for the basic ending, 8+ times for the final ending like in Hades.

Have anyone played the boss-centric The Void Rains Upon Hear Heart? (I love poetic names like this, btw) I heard good things about it

Also, a trailer for the summon-monster roguelite Adore. I think it’s getting close to 1.0 release

I installed and tried Curse of the Dead God briefly last week, since it’s leaving Game Pass soon.

Not bad. Since they had a crossover with Dead Cells, I was expecting that kind of sideways perspective gameplay, but the gameplay feels very similar to Hades instead. It’s cool so far. Pretty tough though. I died in the third or so level. There seems to be no way to get health back, except to find levels on the map with health.

I enjoyed that one quite a bit and wound up finishing it.

There are a few different conditional healing affixes that can help, but yeah, for the most part you have to be careful and avoid damage as much as possible.

A mix of roguelite + Smash Brothers.

Cult of the Lamb will be out in two days. It features a more heavy side of base management than I supposed. You recruit npcs, give them orders, you can sacrifice them, get resources…

Cult of the Lamb is reviewing well

I bought it. Though not sure how much I’ll play with this lamb, since there’s a spider right around the corner. ;)

There are spiders in this lamb game?

I’m the jerk that loves spiders. I apologize.

I hope there are plenty of spiders in this game!

The other game I was referring to has a spider, a scorpion, an octopus, a black cat, a rhino… it’s a zoo out there! :D