The action roguelite thread

I don’t know how, lol. It has 28 character archetypes, dozens of weapons, you can mix and match any weapon, it has hundreds of perks, it has 16 stats you can upgrade individually…

Because for the most part, and this may be what you were alluding to earlier, the character archetypes do the vast majority of the listing when defining what a run is going to look like. Functionally speaking, runs with a particular character are going to be pretty similar, even though the individual weapons and perks might vary, because most characters lean into a specific thing.

Please don’t misunderstand. I think Brotato is one of the best bullet heaven games. I don’t think it should be compared to Nova Drift, though. I think they are very different animals.

I was told to check out Archvale (in Gamepass) as something similar to Tiny Rogues and yeah, it’s pretty similar. It’s the non-arena roguelite version, instead it seems to be a normal action dungeon crawler, but apart from that, it has:

-small character sprite
-same hearts for health and green points for your dashes
-same invincibility frames in the dash, as essential tool to avoid enemy fire
-bullet hell inspired combat, with enemies firing bullets around
-same idea of ‘slash sprite projectile’ for your melee weapons, with longer weapons having a more far reaching sprite
-exact same idea of ‘enemies drop stars that power up your magic damage’. I thought it a weird idea for Tiny Rogues and I see now it was taken from here.
-same limited inventory (although you have 3 slots here, instead of 5)
-same blacksmith that you pay to give +1 to your weapons.

-Voidigo seems almost done as it has reached 0.9 version, with a new world and 3 new weapons.
-Dead Cells released their boss rush update.
-Roboquest also got a new update with a dozen new enemies and a new boss, and in general it’s being GunfireReborn-ing it.
-Astral Ascent has also a new update with a new zone, and it’s looking pretty

-Have a nice Death also has new content, new enemies and bosses

-Synthetik 2 had surprisingly low scores, given that the first part was very well liked, but it seems they are turning things around with the last, very meaty update

Tiny Rogues has the first substantial patch, where the metapogression and balance changes

Brotato also has some changes, like you can save:

• Runs are now saved at every shop and can be resumed after exiting the game (or crashing)

and some changes in how healing works:

• All characters now gain +1 Max HP upon levelling up
  • HP Regeneration now restores 1 HP every x seconds where x is lowered by having more HP Regeneration
  • Fruits and crates no longer get attracted when you’re at full health
  • Crates now heal as much as Fruits
  • Shops before wave 3 now have 2 weapons and 2 items, those before wave 6 at least 1 weapon

Good to see that Synthetik 2 is chugging along. I’ll pick that one up eventually, but I’m waiting for basically full release (or maybe just full multiplayer support) before I actually dig in. Though hopefully they turn down some of that postprocessing and color filters. It was too much in the first demo and the screenshots of the latest updates make it look even more pronounced.

Army of Ruin - another Vampire Survivors-like (warning: in Early Access), this time by the team that brought you Ziggurat, Ziggurat 2, and…Farm Together? Anyway, it’s definitely a few tiers up on VS in terms of graphics and UI.

Here’s a run-through from SplatterCat:

Just watched that video. @Chappers how is it?

No idea, bought it after i saw this thread, will probably try it sometime in the next decade.

Its visually stunning clone of VS. Tempting!

So, uh:

Truly excellent news! /s

A few more screencaps. Seems they didn’t want to do more RoR, so hey, if another company takes the rein there is a chance of being good, unlike the 0 chance if there is no sequel at all.

I’ve certainly no issue with them not wanting to continue with Risk of Rain given how long they’ve been working on it (both games as a whole), I just thought the framing of it as ‘excellent news’ for RoR fans was weird given Gearbox’s track record. I suppose we’ll see what they do with the IP.

Yeah I can see that.

Seems like a Prison Architect situation.

New update for Tiny Rogues

I tried Vampire Survivor with my son and we were hooked. I ended up going hard in the genre for a little bit.

Great:
Brotato
Boneraiser Minions
Vampire Savior

Good :
Beautiful Mystic Survivor (the Steam reviews for this one is crazy lol)
Nomad Survival
20 Minutes Till Dawn
Spell Book Demonslayer

Terrible:
Void Scrapper

Boneraiser Minions is gonna be the best one of these when its done. It’s already pretty close.

I agree. It is really good but it needs lots of useability updates such as better visibility, better tooltips, etc.

I would highly recommend Soulstone Survivors. Also take a look at rogue genesia and Army of Ruin.