The action roguelite thread

Good job.

Drop shadows under the bullets make the game look a bit busy.

Thank you!

Thank you for the feedback. There will be an option to remove shadows :)

So this is an older one, so the mechanics were a bit new but man was it good
Super House of Dead Ninjas

i really dig the visuals and the amount of bullet hell happening

awww thanks i appreciate that! :)

Today Risk of Rain 2 is released

and Dead Cells releases update v20 with a new area.

Ok this is stretching the definition of rogue-lite too much.

Super House of Dead Ninja’s is more like an old NES/arcade action platformer thing with mega-man esque bosses. You have a number of lives and even continues…

Level layout is random, it’s run based, and you unlock progressive upgrades.

Was the level layout random? I thought it was fixed.

A great many games are ‘run-based’ though. Like every single SHMUP ever. I wouldn’t consider that, or progressive upgrades unique to rogue-lites.

I think perma-death (with some carry-over allowed because rogue-lite) and randomness are the two big factors.

It’s random from preset parts.

From the Steam page Features

• Randomly-generated levels means endless replayability

I suppose back when I played it, it felt less random.

Is there an online lobby where I can find strangers to play ROR2 with? That will be the deciding factor whether or not I’d buy it.

There is a browser for finding randoms.

My best run for now of Risk of Rain 2

My opinion of the game for now is that it has a good base, but it’s somewhat lacking in the enemy department. It needs 6-12 enemies more to increase variety, and a rework of both in art design and abilities of another dozen of them, several are very mediocre. And better animations everywhere.
And well, for me it’s too random, I don’t think it’s the type of game I’m going to play a lot, it has lots of flash but less substance.

The appeal of the game really is more… insidious. It gets addicting in a Pavlovian way, as it’s purely a steady power creep in 40 minutes of play, with the screen full of flashes and effects as you accumulate on-kill proc effects and other passives, and a dozen of enemies dies in a second as the effect chain from one to another while hearing ‘dingdingdingding’. Hell, even the items you get has part of the appeal of a slot machine, with them being so random.
The thing, as I said before, I know from experience this kind of game hold me strongly for 4-5 days… and then puff, the addicting effect disappears.

edit: Oh yeah the music is great, I’ll give it that.

Yeah, I’ve played for a few hours and I feel like I’ve seen most of it. Except for the final boss, because apparently I got to the teleporter that takes you there, but if you activate it “wrong” you just loop stages instead of going to the end.

Yesterday I unlocked the ‘easy’ characters in RoR2, the guy who needs 10 moon coins and the one who needs playing 30 stages. I looked into the wiki the process to get the rest and they seem to be much more involved. I tried what it seemed the easiest one, carry the device from the escape capsule to the ‘hell’ level, but it was much trickier than expected. Usually I would blown myself up.
In the end I decided I would tire of the game faster than I would unlock all the remaining characters, so I cheated and unlocked them editing my savegame. It was a good choice, some of them are pretty fun. Class variety is one of the good points of the game.

After 10 hours of palying alone in Risk of Rain 2, I decided it was time to play multiplayer and… I found it was kind of broken. There is a server browser with a check of ‘show started games’, but even when you unmark it, it always show lots of games in progress. Which you can’t join to, because there is no in progress joining.

So I tried 6 or 7 times to find a game in a lobby and failed miserably. Great times.

At least I had a good run with the soldier

I don’t think anyone posted this

Spelunky 2 release day is an official holiday in my house.

Still no PC release date. And no word at all on a Switch version?