The actual Empire: Total War thread

I get a republic cause I tax the peasants hard, if you tax the nobles hard, you get constitutional monarchy… I think the advantage of Republic is no clamor for reform…which means I can go silly on the tech…
Disadvantage is a solid -200 except to other republics.

I wandered over to the mod forum the other day. Is it just me, or are they all really boring?

Also, constitutional monarchies are the way to go, man.

I’ve restarted playing TW: MW2, and damn its fun…contrary to this game, it just works…

While I still think Rome was one of the best games they ever made, Empire: total war stands as the absolutely worst ever.

The promises they’ve made over what…10 years now re mp campagin, better AI and tons of other stuff, they not only managed to not fullfill, they’ve also made a game where the AI didnt work for what…8 months? It’s a lot better now (I’ve heard) but comeon…! And dont get me started on the large amount of people who cannot even start the game since patch 1.4, whereas they promise a hotfix…2 months later, its not there yet. Some hotfix.

As for the game itself, I’m not a fan of the period, and as such that may color my view, but I just found the game to be rather boring.

I hope this is good and steals all the money from CA.

Campaign multiplayer in… six days

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/51738/Empire-Total-War-Multiplayer-Campaign-Beta-Begins-December-7th-New-DLC-Available-For-Pre-Order

The last chance for redemption.

Meh, I couldn’t care less about the multiplayer campaign. They blew their last chance at redemption by leaving the game in a still pretty terrible state while instead choosing to totally screw with one of the least terrible parts of the game (their idiotic naval re-balancing). Releasing Napoleon as a full price game just added insult to injury.

As I, personally, have been hassling them about this feature since Shogun I feel I have to give it a fair shake. A lot of the cool aspects of ETW that were wrecked by bad AI can be saved by playing against another living breathing player. I’m not saying it will actually redeem CA (if their release code is that buggy what is a BETA going to look like?) but it certainly grants them another shot at not sucking.

Napoleon is still a non-starter for me (for similar reasons to yours) but I still really WANT Empire to shape up to be the game I hoped it would be (multiplayer campaign total war I can play against friends).

http://www.totalwar.com/empire/beta/

* Play on the entire Empire campaign map (All 3 theatres) against another player.
* Fight against far improved AI nations, overhauled by update 1.5.
* Work together or in competition to dominate the entire Empire campaign map.
* Play via LAN or the Internet through Steam.
* Engage in diplomacy with AI factions and another player.
* Betray or cooperate with a friend or enemy, the choice is yours.
* Fight real-time battles against the AI together, or have a friend take the AI's place in battle for the ultimate tactical challenge!

It’s already working, i have my Steam key for the beta.

How are the “far improved AI nations”?

Fuck me, are they serious? Why in the flipping hell should I be shoveling out for the units they should have put in in the first place?

I suppose I should ask if anyone has gotten them, and whether they’re anything more than pretty new skins over the same old units.

I’m glad they are including AI nations there. A pure 1v1 brawl on a giant map would be kind of boring.

So how exactly does coop work in the battles? Sure if you have 2 armies attacking you can assign 1 army per player, but that’s fairly untypical. Is it like Age of Empires where you can control everyone at any time? Or you get half, the other player gets half?

I’ve gotten other elite unit packs for ETW. They seem to generally be slightly better versions of high-end units, but of course rather expensive. This is mostly going by Le FUSIL, because I haven’t played ETW since the blurry text bug appeared for me. As buying the DLC demonstrates, I wouldn’t mind CA’s dirty revenue tricks if they could deliver a working game.

Hopefully, in addition to the features they’re more comfortable bragging about, this update will also provide some fixes. Not holding my breath though.

From what I’ve read on another board that is dedicated to the TW games, it sounds like CA has pretty much said that they are done with Empire and consider it WAD now. So don’t expect anything more.

The sad thing is that it appears that Empire has done pretty well sales-wise, so I don’t think they are going to come away having “learned a lesson.” Maybe if Napoleon bombs. I’m going to skip that one, but it’s easy for me to do since I’m not a big Napoleonic era fan. However, to be honest, if they do an ACW expansion I’ll probably buy that. Maybe by then they will be delivering something polished and playable.

Gah. I’m too bitter to go back to E:TW now.

As long as they make Total War: 40K next I’ll forgive them for this mess…

oh i can just imagine 2k Imperial Guards dying against 3 Chaos Space marines.

Yeah. I have yet to uninstall it, and every once in a while I attempt to will myself into doubleclicking the desktop icon. It’s like a little western showdown. I sit there staring at the icon. It stares back at me. Some tumbleweed rolls past, and then I play something else.

It’s not co-op at all. Anytime a player is involved in a battles, the other player controls the opposing forces.

I started playing again and the game is quite playable, but it is amazing the number of graphical glitches there are as compared to medieval 2 total war. Can’t really say if there are any AI improvements yet.

If only someone could mod in a campaign co-op to MTW.