The actual Empire: Total War thread

You gotta admit this sounds a lot like coop. If not, I don’t know what does. :) They even have an “or” there and so far I heard about only one side of this “or”.

[edit]

Is me or people is obsessed with coop since two or three years ago? Dawn of War 2, Red Alert 3, Arma 2, L4D 1 & 2, CoD 5, Gears of War, Killing Floor, etc.

IMO people were always obsessed with coop, it’s just the developers caught up on it only lately. I remember lots of coop games against the AI in Warlords and HoMM1.

To be frank the game is 10 times more fun vs a human opponent. The game is actually a real challenge.

Playing co-op 100% co-operatively vs the AI would simply be a walkover… which I agree is partly the game’s fault.

Partly?

Yea partly, because two humans working together would simply make the game easier no matter how well programmed the AI is. So if you are looking for a challenge, play vs a human, not vs AI.

Partly!

Partly?!?!!?!?!?!?

Partly.

Ideally, you’d set up loftier goals to make up for the shortcomings of any AI.

For myself, I’d just like to conquer the world with a particular buddy.

We’d like to, say, play as the Indians and try to defend against the Western powers, or as two minor states kicking their way up through the big boys.

The problems of the game, unfortunately, don’t allow that to be as fun as it ought to be, regardless of challenge.

You could still do that on the strategic level, while providing each other the challenge of a human opponent for the battles.

Sure, we plan to - I would’ve just liked to have been able to have access to that on the battle-level as well. I can’t imagine what would be the barrier to that, design-wise.

I mean, if someone wanted to do it that way. Steamroll or otherwise.

And what kind of sense does it make for you two to play together on strategic level and then against each other on tactical level? How do you motivate yourself to play really well for the enemy? Sounds like a brand new level of schizophrenia.

Coop is simply more fun a lot of the time because you’re playing with someone else, not against someone else. You could drag someone whose not a huge Total War nerd and still have a lot of fun… whereas if you are playing against someone more often than not it would be pretty uneven skills and one person would clearly win.

Take Dawn of War 2 or Borderlands, started playing it and had a person drop in to play coop. Amazing experience. Why don’t more games have drop in coop? Especially if the game already has multiplayer supported, especially if its Empire Total War and all they need to do is share the armies instead of making the enemy army human controlled.

On sale on Steam for 10 dollars until Monday (15th)

I guess I finally jump.

Yeow!

Don’t do it! Get the Rome bundle instead!

Agreed, either Rome or Medieval II - both are much much better games than the crap the Empire is…

I picked up the rome pack for $4. interested in giving it a shot. I still want to get into Empire at some point though.

Oh I’ve bought all the Total War series, I only held back on Empire because, well I’ve learned my lesson.

For 10 bucks it can sit on my hard drive until I’m ready for it.

Will it ever be ready for you? No further patches are planned, right? I still get the blurry text bug on every resolution I try.

Isn’t there going to be a 1.6 patch - although supposedly mostly for AI issues - although, also “won’t include the AI improvements in Napo” … ?

will napo still plug into empire or is that off the menu?

No, last I heard, they were “done” patching Empire…they probably gave up