The actual Empire: Total War thread

Reduces non-reactive fort assault behavior …

Does this include any update to the multiplayer?

I’ll try this yet again to see if it still crashes. At least I know what game I’ll (hopefully) be playing tonight.

Anyone notice any differences?

Bumped. Anyone? Other fora seem to indicate the battle AI is now serviceable, but how about the campaign AI, stability, etc?

(To explain, while I don’t own ETW, I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread to see whether the game would ever be patched up to a state where it would be worth buying, if I ever saw it in the bargain bin.)

I was going to give it a go, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’m one of the unlucky players who has consistently had it crash. I’ll hopefully have a chance to give it a go this weekend and report back, as crunch time at work has finally come to an end.

I don’t see the Steam version as 1.6 and i don’t see a way to update it manually on Steam.

The 3/31 update is there for Steam users.

I picked up a copy of this for my friend and I to try out tonight in the campaign. Froze up on me every 2-3 turns and we weren’t able to do anything but auto resolve battles so we never got to try the option to fight each other. For some reason, the fight battle button was greyed out. Apparently, this is a common bug. I guess when they say beta, they really mean beta.

Yea, it’s been released, but when i boot into Empire it says 1.5, Steam isn’t trying to update, and there isn’t an update manually button anywhere.

Enidigm,
You’re good to go. Here’s what Kieran posted on some other forum.

"Dear All,

To clear up the ‘version number’ issue, the patch has indeed been released across Steam.
The version number is incorrectly displaying as 1.5.xxx when it should be 1.6, this is due to an error on our part, apologies.

To get the best performance out of the new patch you should uninstall any mods which may have unforeseeable effects at this stage.

To be clear the patch has been successfully released and downloaded via Steam, Empire is simply displaying the wrong version number.

We’re looking to address the number issue.

We hope you all enjoy the BAI changes.

Kind regards,
Kieran "

Abject failure on my end.

I have loaded it up and tried to play, then reinstalled overnight and tried again. Oddly, things have become far worse than before the patch:
[ul]
[li]Trees and forts show up on the campaign map for a split second, then vanish. This occurs at all levels of graphics settings that I’ve tried thus far, although the length of time the trees and forts stayed visable varied somewhat randomly.
[/li][li]At one point, while scrolling around with momentarily visable trees & forts, weird graphic anomolies occurred and froze up the screen. Alt-tabbing to the desktop and then returning to the game forced a reload which then came back with no trees & forts. Army units seemed completely unaffected.
[/li][li]This was from a cold startup, so no heat issues afaik.
[/li][/ul]Running on an 8800GTX, fwiw.

EDIT - doing some searching, apparently this is a DRIVER issue with 191.07 and on, not a game issue. I’ll do some more research and check for some updates.

Okay, updating to 197.13 worked to fix the missing features. Sadly, I still got a hard crash mid-game.

Things I have done since first trying and failing to play this game since it released (not all of them directly related to the game, btw):
[ul]
[li]replaced my C: drive
[/li][li]reinstalled the OS
[/li][li]replaced the PSU
[/li][li]updated and rolled back drivers to no end
[/li][li]uninstalled and reinstalled the game
[/li][li]attempted every C++ redistributable I could find
[/li][li]attempted every graphics setting available
[/li][li]changed AV protections, and ran with them on and off
[/li][/ul]I’m giving up hope unless someone out there has any good ideas.

How about your sound drivers? Have you tried playing it without any sound to see what happens?

Have you tried severing and boiling your penis?

patch made sound effects cut out on my end. game used to work perfectly on my box.

HAVE YOU TRIED SEVERING AND BOILING YOUR PENIS?

Yep, I tried it without sound at one point some time ago - still crashed. Perhaps the data still runs through the driver but the output is cut off when I turn it off? Anyway, it’s onboard sound (which made me think of the afore-mentioned unlikely scenario) so I just updated my motherboard driver/bios. I suppose I can always give it one more go. Alternately, I do have a spare sound card I could wedge in there … I don’t think I’ve ever tried to add sound to make my PC compatible before, but when neither EA nor M$ seem to have much of a clue then we’re left with crazy ideas like …

No, but the thought did occur to me once or twice as a potentially preferable experience. Regardless, I think the sacrfice of my ePeen may be more appropriate depending on the particular god I’m offering it up to ;)

Weirdness abounds. I gave it another shot last night, and I got it to play (gloriously bad AI and all) for a few hours. The only changes to previous attempts:

I updated my motherboard driver/bios (which didn’t help on its own - I still got a crash), and then for the heck of it I changed the sound to go from 100MB to 300MB (???). It struck me as counter-intuitive, but I’d literally tried everything else I could think of short of swapping in a spare sound card (which was next on my list).

I’ll play some more tonight, but it actually seemed stable for once on my PC.

As an aside, the battle AI did seem a bit better.

Did this game ever get fixed? Is it worth playing on the latest patch?

I really enjoyed it with patches and mods. Two disclaimers:

1. My whole experience was with Darthmod, not vanilla.

2. I played ~60 turns or so, hit my victory objectives and called it a day. Total War games always wear out their welcome with me after a while and I don’t think Empire would have been any exception had I kept playing.

If you’re interested, I wrote a whole 1000-word piece (currently sitting on my HD) on why Empire was such a pleasant surprise.