The All-purpose track-day, autocross, and performance driving thread

Two short track day events this weekend!

I just installed some track pads. I attempted to bed them but it’s hard to tell in the dark if it worked, heh. I guess what I don’t understand is if I’ll need to re-bed them anyway at the track since I have to drive 100+ miles to get there. I thought cold pads ate away at the bedding layer.

I also don’t understand when I’m supposed to do this on the track based on my prior track day experience. Seems like there’d be too many cars in the way to get down to the 5 mph these bedding instructions want me to hit.

Tim

I’ve never re-bedded pads unless I changed pads. Bed them once and you are good in my experience.

Changing pads is my next decision. My stock fronts are shot. Debating whether to buy street pads from the same brand and simply swap them onto the same rotors. I had planned to keep a spare set of track rotors but it would be nice to save some time by not swapping the rotors.

I’ve seen lots of people swapping pads before events. I do not remember anyone swapping rotors.

I did a little research. It seems per some folks some track pads will get along fine with a street pad, but others do not. Other people say do what you suggest and keep 2 sets of pads/rotors. So not a consensus I see.

I track a Miata. Its easy on brakes. Some say if you brake at all in a Miata you are doing it wrong :) That said I run track pads all the time. The drawback is they squeal.

I just came off 2 weekends of motorsports. On 11/3 I ran in an autocross, then on 11/9-10 we did a Targa with our SCCA region. Saturday was time trials followed by a road rally. Sunday was an autocross. So my car got lots of exercise.

Dude, brakes only slow you down! ;)

“It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down.”

-Mario Andretti

There’s a great Mario quote for pretty much everything, isn’t there?

One of the greatest motorsport related moments for me was getting to, briefly, meet him a a decade or so ago. He was holding an event at his winery in California for the local Ferrari club, and a friend of mine invited me to go along despite my lack of a Ferrari. Mario was a wonderfully gracious host, greeting each guest individually and telling all sorts of crazy stories.

“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.”
Yes, there is a Mario quote for all occasions. This one applies to my work life :)

I’m jealous. I did get to tour the very cool Mario exhibit this summer at the Indianapolis motor speedway hall of fame.

Yeah, the Mario exhibit was awesome. I was very happy to go through it the Friday before the 500.

…and for a couple more shots of the weekend…

Just got back from a doubleheader weekend at Palm Beach and my first time at Sebring – pretty amazing.

I need to get a track car going. I spent 2 hours swapping my front pads and rotors back to stock. I didn’t even bother with the rears yet!

I wasn’t sure when I’d be able to start towing a car. I don’t want to buy a truck. Then I realized I can just buy my wife a big SUV and tow it with that. Maybe in a couple years…

Hey Tim, do you think the change would go significantly faster if you had more experience? I know some cars are easier to swap than others.

Probably, plus some cordless tools. Sounds like a Christmas present!

I’m back from a long day at Sebring over the weekend. I haven’t swapped my track pads yet but it’s clear the fronts are almost gone. They only lasted 3 events – two were half-days so about 4.5 hours of track time. I had maximum confidence while pounding the hell out of them, so I can’t really complain.

What do people do with brake pads that are almost dead? All the groups I’ve seen want you to arrive with 50% material remaining. Keep them as spares for an emergency need at the track?

Had my first off today, extremely mild. My instructor was pushing me to take turn 1 at Homestead flat out. He wanted me to brake when I was still slightly turning and my brain wouldn’t do it. Ran out of track and went off straight into the grass at 20-30 mph. I didn’t even get black flagged, heh. Next session we nailed it.

Still struggling with too much brake pedal travel despite flushing my fluid with Motul 600. Might just be bad from the factory. Very hard to use maximum braking and heel toe.

Going off straight is better than the alternative.

Actually I’ve never been 4 off. I’ve been 2 off a few times were I slightly overran the exit, but seemingly my mistakes lead to a spin on track.

SCCA Track Night just cancelled their Daytona event. I’ve been waiting for this for over a year. Fuck coronavirus (and their poor contingency planning).

Oh well, it’s still the cheapest way to get on that track at only $200 for an hour of track time. Every other group is $600+ though of course you get more time.

Autocross tomorrow. At least it’s something.

Bummer Tim

A couple of years ago I had a TrackNight at COTA scheduled, then a hurricane hit Houston. I was not happy.

I was thinking about driving with NASA at Sebring, but I’ve learned that they won’t make exceptions to their cancellation policy for coronavirus. That seems shortsighted. I can see people with symptoms showing up to drive because they can’t get a refund.