The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

What’s Jefferson supposed to be doing?

Jack-off motion, one assumes.

“These Soviets seem less bad than the Nazis, I’m sure it;ll work out!”

(Not implying that doing anything to defeat the Nazis wasn’t for the best, but sometimes enemy-of-my-enemy is still just an enemy.

I think he’s “rolling the dice”. Or a very similar gesture.

I assume he’s engaging in a simulated act of self-pleasure in order to mock our dear leader.

With the caveat that I’d much rather have Flake and Corker and any other Republican start speaking out against trump, a cautionary tale about Margaret Chase Smith and Senator McCarthy. (Sorry it’s a twitter thread)

While I appreciate the substance of what Corker said, that the two of them are doing this on their way out the door strikes me as cowardly. Don’t get me wrong. I fully agree with what Corker says in that devastating video that @barstein linked above, but I think waiting to do it when you’re safe is a load of crap when the stakes are this high.

The reason I say this is something that’s been nagging at me as this story has developed around both Flake and Corker. This reminds me of the “And It’s Surely To Their Credit” episode of The West Wing. CJ calls a general who is retiring, and is about to go on the morning shows and trash the president, a coward. She calls him this both because he sends an aide to talk to her when she summons him, and because she knows what he’s about to do on his way out the door.

“It’s called a ‘ring and run’,” she says to the aide.

And that’s how this strikes me.

Wake me when a Republican who isn’t about to retire or doesn’t have a fatal disease stands up for conservative values. Until then I take no comfort in these congresspeople taking a crap on their way out the door. They’re just leaving the douche-bag more poop to fling.

-xtien

While I generally agree, they’re at least still sticking around through 2018. That means they’ll still be in the public eye, casting ballots, going behind closed doors with Trump MANY times, etc… So to me it’s not quite as cowardly, but I believe more ineffective than if they decided to stay in their jobs and tried to weather primary challengers.

Stick around to vote against him!

Great for consolidating a tweet storm into readable and shareable form.

I just use this, which someone on Qt3 created (sorry, forgot who): https://www.dscho.com/threadbare/

It’s a real shame there isn’t other ways to communicate thoughts and arguments that exceed 140 characters on the internet.

Sorry, couldn’t resist, I feel like an old man when it comes to Twitter.

Unlikely once they hear the things he wants, but an ally? They should take about any they can get.

I think that assholes on the left need to stop refusing to acknowledge any good act, out of fear that it may diminish their ability to demonize their political opponents at a later date.

What planet did this come from?

Are we allowed to acknowledge the good act, agree with the sentiment, and yet qualify that agreement? Is that okay?

-xtien

The nature of polarized politics. The other side is always the devil and 100% evil.

Even with Trump standing around with his dick out showing everyone there is gradiation they still want to think in binary.

Republicans are Lawful Evil. Trump is Chaotic Evil. Paladin’s still gonna give em both a sideways glance…

Remember those radio show hosts who spent years demonizing the left, telling their listeners not to listen or believe any other media, claiming everything was fake who suddenly grew a conscious, tried to imply there was some sort of hospitality and politeness in the field until that venom they milked turned on them and when they tried to control it and couldn’t they abandoned ship with one last shot at Trump that went nowhere because of all the training they did earlier to ensure that any dissenting voice would be considered evil or a shill of the enemy, yeah i didn’t pat them on the back either.

Good for him for saying something. but he should have stayed to fight the good fight. Instead some Nazis or white supremacist is likely to take his place.

Speak of the devil:

It’s kind of not ok.

It’s not ok to always need to harp on what you think is bad about someone, even when they do something that is totally good.

It’s not ok to always search for some bad thing to say about folks no matter what they are doing.

This is what has led us to where we are, where government is totally dysfunctional and politicians are incapable of compromising at all because literally all effort goes into portraying their opponents as literal monsters. Compromising with them then becomes monstrous.

When someone does something good, just applaud it. If they do something shitty later, you can criticize then for it all you want. But maybe if we don’t castigate our political opponents, even when they do good, we’ll pull them for to our side rather than push them to the further extreme.