The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

I used to order this all the time until one day, they just stopped knowing what I meant when I said it. I haven’t had a chalupa since.

They closed the Chevys near me (Dulles, VA area). That was my favorite Mexican restaurant by far. Anita’s around here (not sure if it’s a local chain) is pretty good.

Australia has a mexican chain called “Guzman y Gomez”, and it’s really fantastic. I have been to the US several times and tried Chipotles and some other places, and I think it compares well. I recently read Guzman is expanding into the US, so if you see a branch somewhere near you in the near future give it a go!

We’ve got a couple of Chevy’s here in the Portland area.

I feel like you could build some kind of meta-chain of really great independently owned taquerias if you did a wild card match of a few key words list like [Fast, Super, Taco, Burrito, Asada, Taqueria, King] give or take.

The only reason people aren’t picking Goggins Tacos is because they’ve never eaten at a Goggins Tacos.

Unbelievable. He almost made it through the whole thing without saying something to straight-up prove he’s a clueless dimwit. But right there at the end: “you never know, but we know.” What does that even mean?

I miss the good old days when we could get years of delight from Bush mangling an aphorism. But Trump ruins everything by dropping something way worse than “we can’t get fooled again” every single day. Every single blessed day.

-Tom

Chill out; have a drink.

Try a Florence. “It’s tremendously big and tremendously wet

That clonk you heard this morning was a collective jaw drop in social media.

Just when you think he really can’t be that stupid.

I like the picture in the current top reply:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm-Yz8hX0AEfqal.jpg

Unfortunately, this is reminiscent of the GWB administration to me. Iraq and Afghanistan were far enough away for people to just take their word on what was going on over there. It wasn’t until Katrina hit that people were really confronted with the fact that the administration was clueless and their statements were at odds with reality (“heckuva job, Brownie”).

Puerto Rico is far enough away, cognitively if not geographically, that many Americans don’t even realize it’s part of the US. That distance allows them to hand waive reports contrary to Trump’s statement as Fake News.

While I hope and wish for an uneventful Florence that causes little to no damage, it would require a massive fuckup in emergency repsonse there for low-info people to really register how incompetent this administration is.

“They didn’t die until after I left, so they didn’t die on my watch! Booyah! Eat that libs!”

Trump’s dragging approval numbers – despite a robust economy and job numbers – are in many ways the driving force behind the worries that Republicans have that Democrats will take back the House in the midterms.

They need him to either stay quiet (his approval numbers go up when he’s quiet) or not say shit like this that stirs the hornet’s nest.

Oh. You left off the other half of his tweet.

Question for you or anyone else: Given the current GDP growth and state of the economy, are approval/disapproval ratings this bad unprecedented? Or has that happened before?

I mean, imagine what his numbers would look like if we were dealing with an economic downturn at the same time (please god don’t let that happen on Trumpy’s watch…).

As far as I can tell in the modern era, it’s pretty unique. Truman had terrible approval numbers when he left office, due in large part to Korea, firing MacArthur, and a recession in 1949 that was short-lived, but which was fanned like crazy by press who seemed to expect another Depression. And that didn’t happen. So, not quite the same thing. And Truman’s numbers started moving up by the time he left office, and skyrocketed within a year of him being gone.

Nixon hit the teens in approval numbers after the Saturday Night Massacre and only took brief spots above 30 in that final 10 months before his resignation. Economy wasn’t doing so hot though. Gas shortages, hikes, and inflation.

No, this is pretty unique. No major unpopular wars. Economy perking along. And the President’s approval for the last 2-3 weeks has been 40 or below anyway.

Guess I’d better catch up, I like this thread but the posts about Trump pile up so fast, almost at 50 unread. I wonder what Trump did now—

*reads 30 posts about taco chains*

I did not see that coming.

It’s unprecedented, given the state of the economy. Truman, Nixon, Carter, Bush Sr. all had worse ratings but when their numbers were in the crapper, the economy was in the crapper as well. W also had worse ratings - but after the 2008 financial crisis started. LBJ and Clinton are the closest to being unpopular with a good economy, but they never got further underwater than -18 and -14 respectively.

It’s not just he size that’s impressive, it’s the duration. Obama lingered underwater for years, but only by single digits. It looks like Donnie’s going to stay in the double digits from now until the bitter end.

😁
There is no topic that leads to longer derails in P&R than food. I should have known better when I posted that Rick Wilson tweet, but I thought it was funny and worth a post.

There’s some part of me awaiting the inevitable rehabilitation effort from the media, or the nanosecond attention span of the American electorate will suddenly shift again, but maybe the collective weight of all the stupid shit he does, the criminal convictions, his divorce from reality, and now his cruelty on full display (the whole enchilada so to speak) is finally, finally catching up.

That’s because it’s comforting.

I mean, he’s telling the truth as he sees it. Puerto Ricans aren’t really people to him, so from his viewpoint, 3,000 people didn’t really die from the hurricanes.