The American Dark Age (2016-2020) An archived history of the worst President ever

Well, erm, is it so bad just to be a ‘nationalist’? I mean, fine, you can say that’s code for ‘white nationalist’ or ‘ethno nationalist’ or whatever. But in its own right, does being a ‘nationalist’ mean something so terrible?

Also, the most interesting thing of those rally shots is always the people standing behind Trump. I almost expect to see someone with a Bismarck moustache and a pickelhaube.

Patriotism and nationalism aren’t the same thing.

When you see the quality of specimin flanking him i’d expect a crowd adhering in practice to the Prussian Virtues would be a significant improvement.

• Austerity or Thrift (German: Sparsamkeit)
  • Courage (German: Mut)
  • Determination (German: Zielstrebigkeit)[ citation needed ]
  • Discipline (German: Disziplin)
  • Fortitude without self-pity (German: Tapferkeit ohne Wehleidigkeit): Lerne leiden ohne zu klagen (“Learn to suffer without complaining”)
  • Frankness or Probity (German: Redlichkeit)
  • Godliness, coupled with religious tolerance (German: Gottesfurcht bei religiöser Toleranz): Jeder soll nach seiner Façon selig werden (“Let everyone find salvation according to his own beliefs”)
  • Humility or Modesty (German: Bescheidenheit)
  • Incorruptibility (German: Unbestechlichkeit)
  • Industriousness or Diligence (German: Fleiß)
  • Loyalty (German: Treue)
  • Obedience (German: Gehorsam): Seid gehorsam, doch nicht ohne Freimut (“Be obedient, but not without frankness”)
  • Punctuality (German: Pünktlichkeit)
  • Reliability (German: Zuverlässigkeit)
  • Restraint (German: Zurückhaltung)
  • Self-denial (German: Selbstverleugnung)
  • Self-effacement (German: Zurückhaltung): Mehr sein als scheinen! (“More substance than semblance!”)
  • Sense of duty or Conscientiousness (German: Pflichtbewusstsein)
  • Sense of justice (German: Gerechtigkeitssinn): Jedem das Seine or Suum cuique (“May all get their due”)
  • Sense of order (German: Ordnungssinn):(“Know your place”)
  • Sincerity (German: Aufrichtigkeit)
  • Straightness or Straightforwardness (German: Geradlinigkeit)
  • Subordination (German: Unterordnung)
  • Toughness (German: Härte): Gegen sich mehr noch als gegen andere (“Be even harder on yourself than on others”)

Outside of a handful of contexts (eg decolonialism) which don’t apply here, yes. And even then, it can turn nasty quickly (see India).

Well, Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious, according to Oscar Wilde. At least, that’s what Sean Connery said in The Rock.

I’m certain that he said it, at least in part, because he was told to never ever say it (out loud).

Not sure if serious. Have we ever seen a possible example of nationalism? It basically seems like the global version of “I’ve got mine, Jack.”

Some folks think of patriotism when they think of nationalism, but they are generally considered different, if related, beasts.

Decolonialism as mentioned above.

That seems a bit reductive but I’ll stop going to bat for nationalism as I am an aspirational world governmenter myself. (Gotta start somewhere to get to a United Federation of Planets.)

Nationalism tends to be more closely related to identity than ideals. Because of this, nationalism has a tendency towards unhealthy expression.

Everyone here just gave the word “Nationalism” more thought than the President of the United States ever has. It’s certainly amusing to think that Trump of all people has some keen insight on history, politics, and global relations that is behind this rather than just vomiting out a word with negative associations because he embraces those negative associations.

This is normal now.

Doubling down on the nationalist thing.

There are unknown middle easterners in the White House! I mean, there very well could be.

Trump is a pig fucker. I mean he very well could be.

Love me some Charlie Pierce

You can’t have spent 15 minutes at a Trump campaign rally without knowing in your bones that Serwer is telling the truth. This is what “energizing his base” really means, and it’s, well, really mean. This is what was built to serve somebody like Donald Trump by various conservative politicians, the people that worked for them, and the media outlets that informed all of the above. (Many of those same people are now making a nice living being appalled at what has managed to get out of the lab.) This is what “solidifying his vote” means. Cruelty. Nothing more.

Calling Trump a pig fucker, is an insult to true pig fuckers.