The Americans (FX)

Aaak, I just got to the part of tonight’s show where Henry gets the bright idea to invite Stan to dinner when Pastor Tim and his wife Alice are over. This has disaster written all over it.

Watching the dinner scene now and freaking out almost as bad as Phil, Elizabeth and Paige must be.

I loved Pastor Tim mild inquiry afterwards about the wisdom of having a FBI agent as your neighbor. They didn’t even tell him that he was in counter-intelligence. Elizabeth response was well we were here first.

Kerry Russell did some top notch acting this episode, and really struggled with the Korean family, which why I think her inquiries with Pastor Tim are sincerely about guidance. Or should I be more cynical and it is actually an elaborate scheme on her part?

Re: Elizabeth’s talk with Pastor Tim.

Yeah, there’s a bit of an EST vibe where she’s asking for some answers - the scene where she picks up Paige at Church and he tells her to pray. She’s still playing him thought.

Just like how Stan was talking to Oleg. He’s telling the truth to Oleg, but somehow that’s still playing him because he’s building trust. Part of trust is to show your vulnerabilities. Whether Stan did it consciously or not is an interesting question. He DID work undercover for years against white supremacists, you pick up some skills.

I loveeee Kerry Russell so much now.

Also, how clueless is Henry? He’s about a lot of our ages isn’t he? :p Did I just hear Russian? Whatevers, back to LOAD *,8,1.

No, they did not. They had thought he was in a different part of the government until Kimmie revealed where her father really worked.

They knew Kimmy’s father was head of CIA afghan group. I remember something about Phillip being told it how the intelligence may have even helped his own son survived his deployment.

Well, I guess tonight’s show wrapped up the season, and OF COURSE TiVo cut it short (thank goodness for Usenet binary groups). Man, that Dylan Baker is a heck of an actor. When you don’t have the leading man looks you’ve got to bring it in other ways.
So glad we’re getting two more seasons to wrap up the story.

I was not ready for the finale.

Elizabeth and Phillip finally made it to the White House. The problem is Elizabeth looks so gorgeous, I think it is going to be hard for her to stay under the radar.

I had no idea till this last spring that the actors were together IRL. They even have a child together IIRC.

I become obsessed with Kerri Russell for a while so I knew. She only had her 3rd guy first with Rhys several weeks ago. She is terrific in the Waitress, the only good thing in her one and only nude role 8 days a week..

I actually see them quite a bit walking around their neighborhood in Brooklyn. Just saw her the other day in whole foods. She’s unbelievably tiny looking in person. To make this post even more pathetically unbearably hipster, she was carrying her baby in a sling and I was drinking a coffee with coconut milk.

If I’m not mistaken, the final season of this show premieres tonight. Kinda snuck up on me.

You’re half right. They gave it a renewal for two seasons last year, so tonight is the premiere of the penultimate season.

Wow, I’d heard that there was only going to be one more season. I love the show, don’t get me wrong, but the way last season was going it looked like things would be coming to a head this season. Trying to keep up the tension during this plus one more may not be a good thing.

A propos: tonight there’s a segment on Fresh Air re: The Americans as it ties into “Russia-gate.” Here’s the link: http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

Edit: Wow, Proxy Snyder is Stan Beeman’s boss? That guy gets around!

Also, by the looks of it, Oleg’s mom had him when she was seven or something. :-/

My understanding is that two season is really closer to one regular seasons 23 total episodes, between now and 2018.

The Newshour also had interesting segment on the show in the age of 2nd cold war. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/americans-sees-perfect-moment-humanize-russian-espionage/

It’s my favorite drama on TV and tonight’s episode was a great kickoff.

All seasons have been 13 episodes so far, including the fifth season that just started. Abbreviating the sixth and final season to 10 isn’t too crazy a departure. I’m optimistic the show will remain excellent to the end.

True but in the old days a season was 23 episode for a network show.

I kinda of miss that especially for plot heavy shows like American or Game of Thrones. It generally takes me a couple of episodes to catch up, I just get into the rhythm of watching a show and boom it is over.

Binge watching solves that problem, but for a show as good as American I like savor the experience.

So that was like ten solid minutes of digging in darkness with no dialog. The glamorous life of a spy.

I think they wanted to give the audience time to figure out on their own what was going on.

I liked it. Reminded me of the Wire scene where they only say Fuck for 5 minutes.