The Americans (FX)

I won’t lie i want one more season.

I’m calling it, the going to hell moment is the show not telling us what happens a-la-Sopranos.

Yep, I’m also saying we don’t find out for sure what happens to them.

I think i picked this up in Season 4. I was on the fence last season and the dvr has been gradually filling up with a season 6 that I kept telling myself i should watch, but couldn’t really find the motivation to. But last weekend, i binged all of my accumulated season and wow, this has been riveting.

Best part of binging is you only have to put up with Pastor Tim /Paige drama for one weekend.

Just a funny note about Pastor Tim, the same actor plays Dollar Bill on billions and I never even realized it!

This show is so damn good, I am gonna miss it. I thought I still had 4 episodes ahead and just found out that next time is the finale, what a gutpunch. It is so well crafted, written and immersive, done by people who care about what they do. I love it.

Coincidence? I think not! The Americans ends its run on the 28th anniversary of Gorbachev arriving in the U.S. for a summit. OK, it wasn’t the strategic arms reduction summit; it was about Germany and such (presaging the collapse of the Soviet Union), but still…

I didn’t know back then, but Russians hate Gorbie. He’s associated with the chaos and misery post USSR breakup, and takes most of the blame (rightfully or not).

In my uninformed opinion thought, having a guy who’s pro glasnost is pretty cool compared to the Chinese who decided to roll tanks over their own people.

The Russian didn’t hate Gorbachev back then, at least the ones I talked to in 1989 and in late 1991 a few months after the attempted couple. While there was always resistance to Perestroika among the hardliners, I think it wasn’t until early-mid 1990s that average Russian grew disenchanted with the promises of Perestroika with reality of the rise of the Russian Mob, and the oligarchs.

I suspect that Putin has done a masterful job of teaching a revisionist history inside Russia about how horrible Gorbie was, add to that that Yeltsin turned out to be a ineffective alcoholic and very corrupt at worst.

Pretty much a perfect finale. And so ends the best show I’ve been watching for the last three years.

Watching it now.

OMG that confrontation in the garage when they’re picking up Paige!!

Well, that was pretty great. Wish there had been some better resolution regarding what you know who was thinking when she made her fateful decision at the border crossing, and what her plan was, but we’ll never know.

I wouldn’t go that far. It’s definitely solid, minus the boring and largely unnecessary Russian storyline interludes (seriously, did anyone give a crap about whats-her-name who confronted whats-his-name at George Mason university?). I’d give the finale an 8/10 – well executed and satisfying but not Napoleon Dynamite fist pump ultimate or anything. As a series, I’d rate it at about Justified level, which is a compliment!

It is good enough that if you watched through season 3 or so it’s worth your time to complete the story.

I freaking love The Dire Straits.

Oh yeah they definitely had a big song licensing budget. It was noticeable.

And the garage speech was fantastic.

Song-wise, the U2 was perfect.

Great episode, very tense throughout. Was kind of worried they wouldn’t be able to pull off the finale since this season never really felt like a last season to me, but they did it.

Shame Oleg is pretty screwed, I liked the guy. Wonder what will happen to Paige now. That garage scene was awesome. I thought Elizabeth was gonna ice Stan. Renee is totally KGB to me. Maybe I’m just seeing what I want to see, but the way she turned and walked back towards the house after Stan drove off reminded me a lot of how Elizabeth looks when she is pretending to be someone and drops the act.

The finale was like the series very original. On one level surprising, nobody guessed it right, but on another level not really, they make it out, the kid stay behind.

I was impressed with shear artistry of the finale. The terrific soundtrack, the long periods of no dialogue, the garage scene. I felt like I was watching an impressionistic painting set to music.

It also the best show I’ve watched since Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul.

I’ve been frustrated in my attempts to get friends to watch it, I’ll keep trying.

Re: the licensed music, it makes me sad to think that in 10 years or 15 they’ll cut it out. At that point only people who bought the Blu Rays will have the original directorial vision.
Stupid RIAA.

I know that happened for old shows, but I assumed any shows currently airing have updated their license terms to avoid that?