The Americans (FX)

I think it may be the crazy murder spree Elizabeth goes on this season, culminating in those of Gennadi and Sofia. There’s young Navy guy, the Air Force general and his “suicide,” the defense contractor loading dock guy, the security guards, and G. and S.

I’ll admit, at the end when I heard “I might have worked in a factory, or managed one…”

My thoughts went to or killed everyone inside.

Maybe it was Philip banging Kimmy. I want to go to hell too!

There were a lot of episodes in which I thought Paige was just an annoying character, and yet, watching it again, this scene was just an incredible gut punch: {Edit: For some reason I couldn’t get the video to blur properly, so BIG SPOILER WARNING}

Yeah, that scene was the saddest, apart from the scene where Stan goes back to continue the now pro forma stakeout with his FBI colleague. Also the scene earlier where Philip and Elizabeth first meet up and he tells her that Henry should stay behind.

I was thinking today about Oleg - what could they actually charge him with? All they have on him is possession of a coded note, and assuming that they cracked it, it didn’t contain any classified or secret material. Looked briefly onine to find the Espionage act, which (from wiki) makes it a crime:

But both seem inapplicable in his case. I’m curious…anyone know?

I don’t think they could charge him with espionage, but they could charge him with unlawful entry into the United States, because he entered the country under false pretenses.

If you have Prime and have 20 minutes, you can watch a spoof series of skits:

Episode 1: Margo Martindale Gives Them a Mission

That looks hilarious. Love how the daughter’s name is (or appears to be) Paper.

Yes, she is Paper.

It’d be better as The Canadiens, and they were undercover hockey players subverting the Canadian dream of another stanley cup…

Finally saw the finale last night, and bravo. That was such an amazing finale to what has been an amazing show. I often feel like finales cram material in, or take creative liberties, or just short cut narrative poorly to make The End all fit in the way they want or need it to. Not here, this was truly exceptional, and very well made to boot.

That train scene is completely heartbreaking in so many ways with so many outstanding little touches that really made it hit home for me. The classic tension with the Border Patrol agents checking passports with the expect drawn out pacing to increase the anxiety is all just a misdirect for the quick, absolute roundhouse of a punch that comes when you see Paige outside the quickening windows. Just a devastating blow and it comes at you hard and fast, working so much better because they let the earlier moments play out long and exactly like you expected. I loved Phillip just immediately running to his wife’s side, reinforcing the swapping of wedding rings out in the woods. The facade is over, they are truly married. I also feel like I may have seen some hints of relief in Elizabeth’s face as she processes it all. Henry won’t be alone assuming Paige can untangle herself somehow.

For Paige, it made sense in the end even though it was surprising in the moment, the sign of a great twist. Her connection to the ideology is abstract, it’s concrete and real and tangible for her parents. Paige fleeing is taking real, concrete actions in support of an abstraction and in the end, she chooses her own real and tangible life/ideologies, namely Henry.

For Stan’s wife, I tend to come down on the “She Is a Spy” side of things. The way she looked as Stan walked away after their hug had a hint of “this just got harder” to it for me, but I thought I sensed a “I won’t be fooled twice from Stan as well.” Let’s Young Sheldon that shit and get a spin off sitcom going.

In the end, such a fantastic show that deserved to, and succeeded at, sticking the landing in the best way possible.

FYI re the spoiler tags, in my experience they need to be applied one set per paragraph. There is also the “Details” option, which hides stuff till people explicitly click on it, but I don’t know if it works for multiple paragraphs either.

Perfect, thank you.

If you put the tags on their own line, a single set can have several paragraphs:

Ah, good to know, thanks.

Well, this is cute.

@FreeOlegBurov

Fan sent a letter to Donald Trump to ask Oleg Burov to be pardoned. Received today.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pYdBDYllAFBziMf-pJDsvWhf85_iV5SB/view

BTW I heard on a podcast that the garage scene took 13 hours to film.

I would love to see a 90s based spin-off, with a different actress probably, of Paige’s journey after she came back in that last scene.

I mean, I also wanna see Kimmy’s Eastern European Vacation but I’m kinda obsessed with Julia Gardner.

Does not surprise me at all. It was so perfectly executed, it had to take a while to perfect like that.