The Americans (FX)

Man it’s kinda funky, I started this thread all those years ago and I still have yet to watch an episode. Always wanted to, just haven’t done it for whatever reason. Yay for Amazon Prime! I’m glad it lasted as long as it did and folks seemed to enjoy it.

— Alan

Well based on all the plaudits I watched the entire 6 seasons over the last couple of months. What a great ending and beginning. The middle seasons dragged a bit but there was still decent character development. They really took it up a notch in the final season and although I wanted more resolution the ending was still perfectly composed.

A little late but finally got to the end. Agree that the series dragged some in the middle as many shows do. Probably should have ended at five seasons. Still what a gut wrenching ending. When it all goes down they show the consequences to everybody. Overall a really good series.

Really nice to see the series take home some hardware at the Emmys. And if only one actor could be given an award, I would have given it to Matthew, so…I’m ok with that. And to be fair, I think Matthew’s character was far more complicated in the final season than Keri’s…

…hmm. I’m not sure that sentence is valid. Certainly Philip had more emotional range to be acted however the way I felt Keri portrayed Elizabeth at the end…how she subtlety portrayed cracks in such a determined person at the end. wow. Now i’m not so sure who deserved it more. damn.

The final season won a well deserved Golden Globe award last night. Also the lovely Holly Taylor was among many who were photobombed by The Fiji Water Girl 👉

Best drama, yea!

Wow Holly looks all grown up. Turns out she is actually 21, so I don’t have to feel pervy.

I’ve been rewatching the first season for the first time since it originally aired and it’s even better than I remember. Such a great season and it has been good refreshing my memory on everything, like Gregory, who I had completely forgot about. They really had these characters fully fleshed out from the beginning, they even mention that Elizabeth doesn’t know shit about art in like episode 2.

Me neither, except for the fact that I’m almost three times her age. :-( She is damned cute though, and did a great job with the role.

Neat reference to The Americans…except it’s from No One Lives Forever which came out before The Americans. Weird.

Far out. Guessing someone on the show’s writing team must have been a NOLF fan. It can’t just be a coincidence, right?

That’s funny.

Maybe it’s about Superman being russian spy?

Someone from Monolith should shed light on this mystery.

Well the Russian family of spies thing was a real thing that happened, and also during the Cold War there were always rumors about it, even before it was finally uncovered. It was a plot in one of John Sandford’s prey novels maybe 15 years ago or so. Probably in a Tom Clancy book at some point too (everything was in a Tom Clancy book at some time or another…)

Clark and Martha is pretty specific though.

The Americans is leaving Amazon Prime after this month. I started re-watching, (The only other show I’ve ever rewatched is the West Wing) I swear it is better the second time around. While I remember most of the big picture, the individual spy situations I’ve forgotten. There were a lot.

I have got most of season 4 and the short season 5 and only 6 days left. I can’t find any where else to watch it? Any suggestions.

I heard that it is going to Hulu.

I wish I would have checked here as my wife and I only had 5 episodes left by the end of the month, but I didn’t want to see any spoilers! We ended up just paying the $15 or so just so we could finish it off.

We watched the entire series over the past few months and the last 2 episodes just last night. We were both so excited to finally get time to relax and watch and see what happened! I just caught up on all of the comments here and so glad we decided to give it a try.

I should probably add that the series was especially familiar growing up in that time frame (I was in high school from '82 to '85). I was genuinely convinced at that time that the world would eventually end in WWIII and a nuclear winter. Even movies like War Games truly frightened me and it was frequently on my mind all throughout those years. What a great series to watch and the details were so good.

This show showed up on Hulu. Very tempted to start it.

The Americans is one of those shows that I have up there with Breaking Bad and the Wire on my favorites list. The great thing about watching the show now is that they told a very complete story (and oh my god the last season was so good!), and you could binge the whole thing.

I just watched the season 4 episode when the family watches the “Day After” with the Bemans. This prompted me to rewatch the Day After, for the maximum 80s nostalgia. Damn that was a dark movie.
Although, I think the real-life Covid scene in New York wasn’t that much worse than the movie. (The University of Kanas, basketball court is turned into a hospice wing for radiation victims.)

Glad you enjoyed it.

I almost forgot about that! I don’t think I ever saw that movie. I will have to check into that. Thanks for the reminder.