The Americans (FX)

I must admit I was surprised that she lost it so thoroughly with the CIA hostage. She seemed so collected otherwise, though you’re right that losing Gregory and Zhoukov is a lot of stress.

I’m glad I have kept watching the show. It’s maybe a little thing, but I really love their disguises.

After “the big talk about our relationship–we can’t do this” episode, I am not minding the Liz-Phil relationship drama as much now that is more implicit instead of being addressed directly in a “we have to talk about this” fashion. Also, there’s kind of a nice blurring of personal/professional going on where Elizabeth sees that she has a faux-husband that is willing to KILL (or not kill, in the case of Gregory) for her (even though that is part of his job, except when it isn’t as he is helping her do off-mission jobs like the CIA guy…) while the real FBI couple is falling apart.

(What a garbled thought. I’m not expressing myself very clearly–need more coffee.)

I’m not sure she does really see that Philip is willing to kill for her. She’s so used to killing that the fact he’s doing it for her hasn’t registered since the defector in the first episode, where it was explicit enough for her to notice.

I will say this, if I have to watch Philip and the FBI secretary get it on one more time…I throw up in my mouth a little every time they have scenes together. I don’t know how Philip can “perform” with her, and I defintely don’t see where Amador was attracted to her considering he seemed to be able to pick up women all over the place. The actress herself isn’t terribly unattractive, but they sure do a fantastic job making her so for the show. Blech!

What was that line she had a couple weeks ago? Something like “Shoot your filth into me!” Promptly lowered my sub sandwich back into my lap.

The look on his face when she sprung the surprise meeting with her parents was priceless. I was like, “DUDE, RUN FAST, RUN FAR!”

i have a lot of trouble with his magic wig in that relationship. Given how close up and intimate they’ve gotten, I would have expected she would have noticed it sooner or later.

Russian wig technology has not yet been equaled in the West.

Yep, I have thought the same. This is weak and unlikely, but maybe he’s told her that he’s such a secret CIA agent that he has to be disguised all the time? Maybe he plays it off as a toupee? Maybe she’s very hands-off and has never touched his hair?

(Maybe the writers just hope you won’t notice…)

Regarding the magic wig: When he first spent the night with Martha I swear I expected her to come in with breakfast the next morning and see his wig on sideways. I was almost hoping it’d be that way… but no such luck. But yeah, the wig stuff is part of the magic of television!

Maybe he staples it to his head.

Permanent vigs, Russians did it first.
-obscure junior officer, Star Fleet

That was my first thought on reading that.

Man that wedding scene was painful to watch last night.

BTW, are people analogous to Elizabeth and Phillip at all documented 30+ years later, or is this complete fantasy? I know that there was a high level mole in the CIA for years (as fictionalized in The Good Shepherd) but were there actual “sleepers” or was our counter-intelligence too good?

Big doings next week, apparently. Has this been picked up for another season?

This show is very well done but I almost don’t look forward to it since it’s always so sad… I guess I just want the cold war to end and everyone to be friends.

I presume it was - I Fast-Forwarded through it, but even then the images that flashed by still burned.

Declassification of things like that would likely take eons. That said, there have been cases that came to light where sleepers have been caught.

It’s a Vig-23. Don’t joke about Russian hair superiority.

“You were in a 4G inverted dive with a Vig-23?”
“Yes ma’am.”
“At what range?”
“About two meters.”

Sorry, my mind went to Top Gun for some reason.

I suppose that shooting down American CIA operatives with a guided muscle is right out then…