The Americans (FX)

I like that they finally acknowledged the magic wig. “I even like your toupee.”

Have to agree - that was a nice touch that helped make the show feel a tad bit more real.

Hey, was it just me or did it not sound like Arkady’s voice dictating the cable to Moscow? Sounded more like the guy who plays Oleg.

Is anyone else confused about Larrick?

He seems to want to find the murderer of his friends. Who are his friends, the murdered spy-parents? Hard to think he actually felt they were his friends when they were his handlers.

Larrick is out for vengeance for the people killed by Phillip at the military base where the Americans were training the Nicaraguan soldiers. Phillip and Elizabeth initially blackmailed Larrick into giving up the base, and I can’t remember the exact details, but he either didn’t realize the people he was giving up were going to be killed, or he just decided after the fact that he wasn’t okay with it after all. Maybe he thought they were just going to get the Nicaraguans being trained there, not the Americans as well, I don’t remember.

Larrick is still the only real suspect for murdering the other spy-family in the season premiere, but I don’t think that’s ever been definitely proved, and if he did it, we don’t know any motivation beyond the obvious, that they were Russian spies.

What an odd show. I actually find myself cheering for every member of the cast at different times. Larrick is on a killing streak because he’s been wronged by some pretty awful people. And the pretty awful people aren’t always awful (although some are always pretty…oh kate, you will be missed). The kids are the only real constants in the film when it comes to victim status.

As for confusion, for my part, I’ve been lost for most of the season when it comes to the Nina-Oleg-Stan love/espionage triangle. Honestly no idea where Nina’s allegiances lie, and I’m not sure if I’m supposed to know, or if that’s the point.

I think Nina was lulled into believing she’d been forgiven by the head of the rezidentura. Oleg isn’t quite as naive as she and as soon as he found out what she’d done, he knew it wasn’t going to end well for her. I think she’s finally realized this due to Oleg’s persistence in trying to get her to run.

Oleg has gone from being an annoying character I couldn’t stand, to being one of my favorite characters. He’s got a lot more going on in that head than just ambition.

Can Nina run at this point? It looked like she was under guard there at the Rezidentura.

I think Oleg has something up his sleeve.

Yeah, I really like Oleg too. I’m still a little fuzzy on why Nina went from being annoyed by him to (at least apparently) falling for him though. I don’t remember a specific reason she would’ve changed her mind about him, so I’ve never been sure if she really likes him, or if that’s just another angle. I agree she seems to be in more danger than she realized from the rezidentura, so working Oleg as another angle starting earlier in the season seems like foresight for a plan she didn’t realize she needed at that point, if that’s the case.

Nina was not supposed to know she was going to be sent back for trial. That was the whole point of telling Oleg that HE could secretly tell her to run away.

Seems to convoluted a plot to motivate Nina so I surmise the information was leaked to show Arkady’s humanity. He did forgive her once before.

Good point, I didn’t catch that in the conversation between Oleg and Arkady.

Well that wasn’t how I expected things to go. Gives us an interesting new problem/direction for season 3 though.

Wow, that was some heavy shit last episode (re: Jared). Also I’m sure gonna miss Nina, although my DVR will probably appreciate my not pausing the show during her close-ups, just to gaze upon that face and profile. ;-)

Yup, that caught me completely off guard. I had no idea it was coming. Excellent season finale. Looks like they’ll be returning to the conflict between the husband and wife about the depth of their loyalties that they examined in the first season.

So. It’s back. Thoughts?

I’m pretty sure I’m supposed to remember more from last season than I did.

Well, last season the main deal was the other sleeper couple and their murder, remember?

I watched the other night, and thought it set up some interesting stuff. Was sorry about poor Anneliese.

I remember the sleeper couple, I didn’t remember exactly what the situation was with Anneliese or the other guy.