The Animated Movies Thread

It turns out Klaus has finally been released and it’s on Netflix!

Watched it with the family this last weekend and enjoyed it. Good holiday movie.

Oh, thanks for the tip!

I also noticed you singing Tuca & Bertie’s praises in the Netflix thread. I concur. It’s a crying shame it was cancelled. Between it, Bojack, Rick & Morty and Big Mouth there’s been some seriously good new animated series in recent years. Any others to add to that list that I may have missed?

Well, I wouldn’t put it up with those, but there’s Final Space, whose second season starts imminently. I wasn’t immediately grabbed by it, but I came around. Also it’s not really the same sort of thing, but definitely check out Love, Death and Robots. Some people like Castlevania, though it’s not my sort of thing.

Love, Death and Robots was entertaining and looking back over the episodes, there’s a lot I seem to have forgotten! I recall it being quite hit and miss but that’s to be expected with an anthology. Either way, I’m glad there’s an animated shorts series on Netflix. I think my favourite episode was Zima Blue and I remember liking the yogurt one.

Steven Universe with the caveats:
a) It’s definitely touchy-feely targeted at a younger demographic
b) It takes a good part of the first season to find its footing, at first it looks like a typical kids show (in fact it is a very atypical kids show with a long story arc)
c) It’s not in the same vein as the other shows you mentioned (mostly pure comedy), it’s only related since it’s also animated and has a long arc storyline

It’s a good series. It’s nice how the writers keep playing with expections of the audience and how characters develop.

In that vein, Adventure Time is amazing, though I’m not sure I’d call it “in recent years”.

I thought Adventure Time hadn’t shown up yet on any US streaming service, but I just checked again and it says Hulu has 10 (!) seasons of it. I’ll definitely check it out when I get back on Hulu next time.

Does it get any better? I watched maybe 10 episodes and it’s all over the place. Does it ever develop a longer storyline?

There’s a tiny bit of an overarching story, and there are definitely threads that run for a few episodes, but it’s much more along the lines of R+M than Bojack in that sense.

Not sure that all over the place is a meaningful criticism to be honest. I mean, it’s a wacky adventure show. The whole point is to be all over the place. But if you’re not digging it after 10 episodes, you’re not going to ever dig it.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Yeah, my girlfriend and I love Adventure Time and while we enjoyed the first, I dunno, 8~ episodes of Steven Universe, it didn’t hook us. So:

I can definitely see this.

Is there anywhere I can watch either of these series in the UK? Netflix and Prime both have the first season of Steven Universe, while Adventure Time is nowhere to be seen, still.

I meant to say too that Hilda was great.

AT was on Netflix for a while, but I’m using my DVD rental service to watch it now.

That’s not a bad shout. I’m guessing Cinema Paradiso has it.

Up to season 5, anyway.

Lupin III movie coming out Dec 6 in Japan

I don’t know what that is, but just from that trailer, I’d think it was a spinoff movie set in the Incredible universe.

Anime originating from the 1960s manga about a gentleman thief and his motley crew of on-off-again opponents/friends. Lupin the Third with a Castle of Cagliostro directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

Watch Castle of Cagliostro on Netflix. It’s a Lupin movie from the 70s, they even turned it into a laserdisk game like Dragon’s Lair called Cliff Hanger.

" The film has served as a major influence on animators and directors worldwide, most notably Pixar director John Lasseter."