The annual Spike TV Videogame Awards thread

Some “highlights” of Friday’s event:

RESIDENT EVIL 4 – “Game of the Year”

PETER JACKSON’S KING KONG: THE OFFICIAL GAME OF THE MOVIE – “Best Game Based on a Movie”

GOD OF WAR – “Best Action Game”

WORLD OF WARCRAFT – “Best PC Game”

Wow, actually agree w/ those picks (though dunno about King Kong yet, it looks promising). Except that World of Warcraft is a 2004 title, and Civ IV should probably have that honor.

I’m afraid to ask , but who is the host of the spike awards show?

Samuel Jackson.

YOU’D BETTER GET THOSE GOD DAMN SNAKES OFF THIS AWARDS SHOW NOW, BITCH!!

Another year, another “for public consumption” game awards show…

• Alan

WORLD OF WARCRAFT, MOTHERFUCKER! DO YOU PLAY IT?

Cool. I actually played most of the games except for King Kong. That’s a rarity.

JULES: Skullcrusher ain’t no server I know! Do they speak English on Skullcrusher?

BRETT: There are some Chinese farmers –

JULES: English, motherfucker, can you speak it?

BRETT: Not in General Chat.

JULES: But do you understand what I’m saying?

BRETT: Sure. Only the Horde gets their text scrambled.

JULES: Now describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!

BRETT: Well, he’s… he’s… a dwarf –

JULES: Go on.

BRETT: … and he’s… he’s… Arms spec –

JULES: Does he look like a bitch?

BRETT: What?

JULES: DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

BRETT: His shoulder pads are a little goofy, but no.

JULES: Then why did you try to fuck him like a bitch?

BRETT: I swear, I thought he MEANT to list that epic for 1g buyout!

JULES: You tried to fuck him. You ever read the Terms of Service, Brett?

BRETT: Yes.

JULES: There’s a passage I got memorized, seems appropriate for this situation: This is a legal agreement between you and Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. By clicking “Accept” below, you accept all terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not wish to accept this agreement, you should click “Reject.” If you reject this agreement within thirty (30) days after first purchasing the World of Warcraft software, you may contact Blizzard Entertainment’s Customer Service at (800) 592-5499 to arrange to return the World of Warcraft software for a full refund of the purchase price. In the event that you established an account more than thirty (30) days ago and do not wish to accept this agreement, please refer to Section 10.

Umm, how can the pick the game of the year if the year isn’t done yet?

I think these awards shows or awards commities (such as best of e3) are total BS. Sure once in a while we may agree with them, but overall, who are they and why should we care what they think?

I think most of these awards go to the highest bidder or the biggest advertisers.

I think this is the first time I’ve ever heard of an awards show giving a ‘best x’ award to a game that HADN’T BEEN RELEASED AT THE TIME OF AIRING. That’s pretty fantastic, right there.

Come now, fanboy magazines have been doing it forever. I recall back before MDK2 was done for PS2, PSExtreme magazine gave it something like a 98% and a platinum award. They didn’t even have a press copy, just a few screenshots. True, not exactly an awards show, but the same retards are at play.

Spike needs to be seriously bitchslapped for giving multiple awards to a game that hasn’t been released yet. That’s a total crime. And “cyber-vixen of the year”? I’d never even heard of her (she had an awesome machine-gun laugh). But I suppose categories like that go with the territory when its Spike TV.

However, I have to give them kudos for coming up with an awards show that was more professional than any other I’ve attended. It was at least in an auditorium, with actual A-list celebs, and a budget. But yeah, in the end, it was all celeb fluff and very little game-awarding meat and potatoes. Although my game got awards so I had better not bitch too much ;)

Spike VGA make me feel icky.

I watched it the first year. Do they still prevent the winners from accepting the award and saying thanks?

I haven’t seen it, but I’m guessing yes, unless the winner is a celebrity.

Uh, no, several regular game developer types got up on stage and accepted awards. It wasn’t just celebrities.

I just don’t understand why they’d invite all the cries of illegitimacy by giving awards to games that haven’t yet been released. Why don’t they just wait until the year’s over like all the other awards shows?

Maybe it’s a sweeps thing.

I don’t think the Spike VGAs are worried about legitimacy any more than they are about class.

For SpikeTV, it makes more sense to run the awards during the holiday season, as publishers have games they’re looking to promote and are more eager to participate. It’s practically an infomercial.

I was excited about the awards the first year, because they brought a production value that no one else had achieved with any game awards show to date. But they took a step backwards last year, and this year’s nominees were just a joke. I usually go out of my way to attend the various awards shows, but I couldn’t even be bothered with the Spikes this year.

“Say WoW again, motherfucker, SAY WOW AGAIN!”