The Arma 3 hype thread

Yeah, I get the complaint, but this is a little silly. I get good performance out of the game now by keeping things in the mid-range even when there’s a big combined arms scenario going.

Not entirely sure what he is demonstrating there, but he sounds pretty sure of himself.

Every demanding game is a bit of a balancing act between CPU and GPU. 1080p isn’t a particularly aggressive resolution, especial for dual GPU. If he were playing 4k with 8xAA, I’d imagine his GPU’s would become the bottleneck. I’ve got an ultra-widescreen, and I can easily limit performance in Arma by adding in some aggressive AA.

The trick is to find the sweet spot in terms of settings that work around the bottlenecks. He pretty effectively demoed this by taking the game off max settings and putting it on optimal. Go figure.

I don’t think the Arma engine is incredible in terms of optimization, but it does manage to crank out some amazing (and big!) landscapes along with some (arguably) complex AI. I am always amazed by the detail and performance when I am buzzing over the landscape in a helicopter.

I keep telling myself I’m not buying any more ARMA expansions. $34 dollars later, I’m lulzing around Tanoa, and squealing with glee to see that SaOK is still (reluctantly) updating his WLA/WLT mod.

(As an unrelated aside, at least I’m not buying flight sim expansions any more. DCS was the last sim installed on my rig, and it --along with E:D – got scrubbed off the SSD last night. I haven’t played either in months, and I don’t think I have more than 25 hours total in the entire LO series.)

The review: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2016/07/13/arma-iii-apex-review/

You should’ve made Tom play this.

He would hate it so much if he played the new campaign. Alternately, he could fumble with the editor for two hours on his nightly stream.

About time they jump to a 64-bit multithreaded engine and using Vulcan API? :)

I thought of installing the game and check how it plays now. One thing that surprised me how half assed were the new “Apex controls” preset. If you are going to put 1-2-3 for weapon, pistol, AT launcher, then go on and put nvg, binocs, gps, etc in 4-5-6-etc. But not, just the main three.

2017 roadmap revealed. More DLC.

[quote]
JETS DLC
Next year, air superiority jets will fight for control over our simulated skies. More details are forthcoming but, for now, we can confirm this package will be supported by a free platform update, with radar / sensor improvements as its stand-out feature. By adding more depth to threat detection and tracking, we aim to improve gameplay across the entire sandbox.

‘ORANGE’ DLC
This year, we opened a new studio in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. With the goal of gradually building up experience, work has started on a small project, codenamed ‘Orange’. While the exact direction isn’t final, we’re very much interested in exploring an interesting and unique perspective on the battlefield. It’s shaping up to be a valuable, innovative addition to the platform!

MALDEN FREE DLC
June 22nd, 2017, will be Arma’s 16th anniversary. We plan to mark the occasion with a free DLC, featuring an island familiar to veterans of our series: Malden. Starting out as a small passion project, Malden 2035 re-uses many vanilla structures, vegetation, etc., to recreate this classic terrain. There’ll be an announcement related to this work in the coming weeks.

TAC-OPS DLC
Later next year, we aim to present players with a package of playable content: ‘tactical operations’ that focus upon challenging, replayable and authentic military gameplay, which makes the best use of our sandbox. This development is an opportunity for us to learn how to continue to support the platform, fund our project, and offer valuable new experiences for our players.

TANKS DLC
We round off this roadmap with an ambitious goal: overhauling the experience of armoured combat in Arma 3. This package will follow our well-established model: a set of premium assets, which bring something new to the sandbox, supported by platform improvements and additions for everyone, for free. We encourage our community to share their own wishes on the topic, too![/quote]

They are also making a 64 bits version of the game.

\o/

• 11 years and finally we get it :-)

Nice to see them adding a lot of DLCs including a free one. Do not think I will be buying any other DLCs though, at least until I get into the game again (which seems to be a bit of a problem).

You still playing it?

No, I haven’t played in the last year, and I didn’t like what I saw from Tanoa expansion.

The good thing is that each DLC should also have accompanied of free updates. Jet dlc will also have a free update for sensor/radar, for example. The bipod ability was introduced with the Marksmen DLC, but it was free for everyone.

Yikizzz 10 Gig patch today

If you like futzing around with single player dynamic missions, Hunter Six is worth a try. I’ve tried a fair number of the single player dynamic campaigns, and most of them seem to be a bit of a jank-fest, nearly completely obtuse, or dragged down by poor performance (or all of the above, most likely).

This one, however, is fairly straightforward. You’re on the island to gather intel so you can rescue some hostages. There’s stuff to do right away (delivering aid supplies or gathering intel by interviewing citizens). More tasks will pop up as your intel score rises.

The threats you face initially are inexperienced rebel patrols. taking them out nets you experience for your squad-mates and more intel. Things get tougher as you start to move more into rebel-held territory.

Calling for transport or air support actually works (!), which is a joy since I’ve tried many mods with broken transport scripting.

Thanks for the head’s up. I’m always looking for something to replace WLA.

Eww, Dslyecxi has a new 21:9 monitor and records all his content that way now. I usually don’t mind black bars, but this is a bit excessive.

They released a 64 bits version on their beta channel. It’s still pretty early, so wait until it’s finished.
In any case it won’t be a silver bullet to fix Arma’s performance problems, it actually lowers the average fps for some people on low end machine. People with good computers and settings on very high notice an improvement in how ‘smooth’ it feels, surely less micro stutter because less loading from disk.

Oh, look Arma 3 in 4K with everything maxed out finally at 60fps.

It only took PC Gamer’s “Large Pixel Collider” custom rig to get there.

From time to time someone makes a cool mod…

https://gfycat.com/ifr/PrestigiousFailingAfricangoldencat
https://gfycat.com/ifr/TestyWiltedHare

Substantial update to the way Arma 3 handles ambient occlusion.

Plus, 64-bit executables.