The Arma 3 hype thread

I started playing the Vindicta mod since Overthrow appears abandoned and Antistasi was a pain to play solo. It’s a guerilla warfare mod like those other two but doesn’t use missions. You enter a town and talk to civilians to gain location intel on the government bases and police stations. You also recruit the civilians to forment revolution but have to make sure the police don’t see you or you lose your undercover status. When you recruit enough the town goes into revolt and some citizens start attacking the government forces in town. This is helpful as a distraction because you have to get supplies from police stations , installations, and off the dead to build up your arsenal and build bases. You also get intel such as planned attacks and convoys off computer gear you loot from the enemy.

I’m just getting started but it seems interesting so far. I went into one town and started a revolt to get into a police station to get some submachine guns and vests. I’m walking the streets to case the station. Police are running around arresting citizens then a police patrol gets blown up by an IED set off by one of the citizens. A few minutes later a military transport truck pulls up at the edge of town and unloads a squad of heavily armed soldiers. They rush into the town to engage the rebels. One soldier stays behind to guard the truck. I pull up behind the transport in my pickup and get out. I’m undercover as a civilian since I’m not showing a weapon which allows me to get close. Earlier I had found a suppressor for my pistol so I get behind the guard and take him out quietly then rush to the transport. While the soldiers are in town fighting I load their supplies into my truck and then take off for my home base. I was planning to get a few guns from the police and managed to get a load of machine guns, sniper rifles, heavy-duty body armor and rocket launchers instead.

I’m not sure yet how single player friendly it will be. It’s still in alpha so there might be some changes that make it easier. For an alpha it’s pretty polished and stable. I’m impressed by the number of civilians and soldiers it can run and I still get decent frame rates.

It can be tedious finding transport after you die so I use a debug script to spawn a truck. Also, the tutorial is basic so some concepts aren’t clear. Commanding ai troops is very limited right now The devs said they are working on that

Overall, it looks promising.

If the main character doesn’t say “I’m too old for this shit” at some point, it’s a wasted opportunity.

It’s free for Tanoa owners, btw.

Is it still singleplayer only?

Bohemia is bought by Tencent:

70-80%, I guess the rest are in the founders hands. Interesting, as I doubt they were hurting for money.

edit: or not

Strike one more for the CCP owning the games industry.
Edit: Phew, not yet anyway then - but they own so much already. All hail Winnie The Pooh

Cold War Germany DLC getting some free content.

This looks more interesting. Didn’t know ARMA3 had gone back from their scifi stuff.

Sort of. It’s a community mod that BI took under their wing and made official. So the main campaign and everything else is very much near-future stuff.

An Bohemian Interactive bundle

I’ve never heard of Arma X in the $1 tier. Is that X as in the letter X, or the number 10?

Edit: Oh here we go, it’s the 10th anniversary edition combining the first two games.

• Arma 2
  • Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic
  • Arma 2: British Armed Forces
  • Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
  • Arma 2: Private Military Company
  • ARMA: Cold War Assault
  • ARMA: Gold Edition

Note that ARMA: Cold War Assault is a re-release of the original Operation Flashpoint.

For those still playing Arma 3 single-player, unsubscribe from the Overthrow mod and subscribe to the Overthrow Plus mod. The original halted development a year ago, but OT Plus is still being updated and fixes a lot of critical bugs.

So, for your Arma 3 SP open-world needs, in order of (my) preference:

• Overthrow Plus
  • Old Man (official, need Apex)
  • Antistasi (a distant third - it has more “stuff” than Overthrow Plus, but it’s really more for groups)

Haven’t tried Overthrow, but have played a lot of SP/MP antistasi and antistasi-likes. Sounds fun.

Old man beta says it’s in the official game now. Do you mean Old Man CTRG Operations?

Also there are a lot of antistasi things. Which are you suggesting?

Nope. I meant the official Old Man mission that’s now in Arma 3 proper.

As for Antistasi – it’s, well, kind of a mess if you’re looking for a “run and go” deal. The original creator abandoned the project long ago, and it’s been forked off from there to run with a bunch of maps and mods and what have you.

The most “current” one is going to be Antistasi Community Edition, which is relatively kept up-to-date. But honestly, it’s still janky, and really built for MP. I recommend the Overthrow Plus mod over it, if you’re going to go SP. Much less jank.

I am finally getting to checking this out. It sure does take some getting used to the bang-youre-dead gameplay.

Getting into the proper Arma headspace and figuring out what’s going on takes a long time.

WW2OL hello.