The Assorted "WTF, 2020?" Thread

Somehow we don’t have one of these yet.

This is the thread for murder hornets, Mr. Peanut being killed off, Sarah Palin singing “Baby Got Back” and other bizarre, inexplicable, only-in-2020 moments not covered by the other threads covering the big topics. Bonus points if they make you feel you’re in a simulation … a very, very badly written simulation.

Stories like this one:

A gunman in Ukraine armed with an automatic rifle and grenades has surrendered to police and released 13 hostages after the country’s president consented to his demand to recommend the 2005 film Earthlings starring Joaquin Phoenix.

The niche film recommendation, delivered by President Volodymyr Zelenskiy over Facebook, helped end an hours-long standoff in the western Ukrainian city of Lutsk, where 44-year-old Maksym Kryvosh seized a bus and demanded that dozens of government officials admit to being “terrorists”.

During the hostage crisis, which began on Tuesday morning, Kryvosh opened fire and threw a grenade at a police drone. The reports of automatic gunfire sent some journalists at the scene diving for cover. No one was seriously injured during the standoff, although a bullet was reported to have nearly missed the national chief of police.

I… I don’t know if I can handle this thread.

The movie industry is being hit hard. You’ve got to be especially creative with the marketing these days.

Tom Brady will retire as a Tampa Bay Buccaneer.

I’ve been watching Tom Brady for 20 fucking years, and of all the shit that’s gone down in 2020… That blows my mind more than anything else.

I didn’t know about Earthlings until now (thanks terrorism…), and didn’t initially understand that he demanded Zelensky recommend it because of the sociopolitical statement inherent to the documentary. I just thought he must be the biggest Joaquin Phoenix stan.

Really? Really?

Well, I guess 2020 hasn’t been all bad.

Bad luck - nearly!

Nearly missed is a hit, damn it.
A Near Miss is a miss that was almost a hit (ie a Miss that was Near).
Nearly Missed is a hit that was almost a miss.

Mostly I wanted to post this:

When I moved to CA from NH in 2014 without knowing a damn soul, Tom Brady was there for me, man. He even went to four Superbowls, to help me maintain that contact with New England for as long as possible.

The dude is my bro.

And now he’s like, playing for TB or some shit…

I just don’t know. I’m lost.

Here’s the ultimate WTF, 2020 observation: remember that racist NY real estate heir from the '70s/'80s who was a massive idiot, played around with his racist dad’s money doing coke and trying to screw the ladies in clubs, tried to rip off his siblings from the inheritance, finally did rip off parts of the family, lost hundreds of millions of dollars and basically went broke due to his own mismanagement and idiocy, and finally found some sort of low rent fame on a shitty reality show? He’s the president of the USA.

Maybe I’ll just go play Saint’s Row 4 again.

I feel like this is one of the few things you can’t blame 2020 for, unless he somehow wins in November. This is more of a “WTF, 2016? thing”.

This looks promising.

Hey it’s 2020 and the considerations for my NFL TEAM name are either a creature critically endangered (Red Wolf) or some right wing overzealous shit like Monuments or Sentinels.

Can I go back and take the blue pill?

Thought Sentinels was because of the movie The Replacements.

All I could think of was The Matrix, also an apt comparison.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas and the Juvenile and Children’s Advocacy Project of Texas filed a grievance against the majority-white Barbers Hill Independent School District on behalf of the two students, who they argued were discriminated against.

No dreadlocks at a school district that is:

• Majority-white
  • Located in Texas
  • Named Barbers Hill

Go figure.

The heartwarming story of, checks notes, an 84 year old woman who has to take a menial labor job to financially survive during a pandemic? WTF?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChloeTeboe/status/1286232536176308225

Hart says she was working as a Walmart greeter before retirement but then found her social security check just wasn’t cutting it. That’s when she picked up the phone one day in June.

IF aliens are real, Jesus Christ was probably their advance recon element.