The astonishing cluelessness of The Crew 2

I know that, but it just ain’t the same as starting from scratch, with that lame car and all, you know?

So in your mind he maybe should have reviewed it from every possible perspective? 1 star if you don’t like planes, but 5 stars if you do! But if you like planes and not boats, 2.5 stars. If you like both, 6 stars!

Reviews are subjective based on what the reviewer enjoys and doesn’t enjoy. Is this a new concept?

No! I’m sorry! I really didn’t mean it like that. I wouldn’t give this game a high rating either. It barely added to the Crew 1 and then took away what made the original good. But I just thought I’d give a different perspective. I’m not trying to hate on the review. I’m just adding my thoughts. The only part I didn’t like about it were his misconceptions (like the photographs). I respect his opinion and am only giving my own. I am sorry for disagreeing with what he had to say.

What? All of Tom’s reviews are biased. I don’t mean that as an indictment or a negative. I don’t think he sees being objective as a goal, which is fine.

I appreciate lovebob3’s perspective, even if I do like this review and its uncompromising hardcore style that assumes a lot about what people liked and wanted.

Hell, they could have reused Bolivia from Ghost Recon! :D
I would find it pretty interesting to drive there compared to cut down version of US from Crew 1 where I already spent 150 hours.

I know, that’s why I think it’s hilarious that it’s being brought up as a criticism.

Ok, just checking. Wasn’t sure.

Hey, don’t apologize for disagreeing with Tom, he’ll on most non strategy games I do too.

We’ve just seen more than a few times when Tom gives a harsh review that fans of the game sprint around and making a mess of things. So a new person whose first thing is to critique a review gets a bit of a side eye.

But welcome. You’ll find us an interesting bunch. I hope you stick around. You’ll find that, for most of us, what we appreciate about Tom’s review style is he makes no pretense at objectivity. He reviews games with a strong critical voice, which is much more useful to us than the standard milquetoast reviews big places run.

And if you disagree with Tom, let us know why! Curate your own critical voice.

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make a mess of things. I don’t like most of the game as well. I just thought a lot of what he was mad about was stuff you could simply ignore and not touch (like the boats, planes, drifting, and photographs), making it unfair to critique since what Ubisoft was going for was making a game where you could choose to do those things or not and where you could choose what parts you played.

no need to apologize. You expressed your thoughts well and didn’t make a mess of things. As stated above by CraigM, when he refers to the shitstorm that happens after a bad review, It’s usually posts that seem to be written by a 12 year old that can be translated to “non-factual verbal vomit”. Your post was not.

coughJourneycoughCall of Duty

Welcome, @lovebob3. It’s perfectly ok to disagree with Tom. One thing to understand is that being objective isn’t something he strives to do. When I read a review, I want to know whether it is something I am going to like. I generally don’t care whether the reviewer likes it or not. But that’s his approach. He talks about his experience playing a game and rates based on that. It’s not at all uncommon for people around here to feel differently than he does, and that’s fine.

You didn’t, so no need for an apology!

Did you notice that the entire review is also about how fantastic he thinks a different Ubisoft game is?

I picked up The Crew for free at some point and installed it, but was so put off by the shitty characters and story (at least as you get them in the first half hour or so) that I uninstalled. This review doesn’t make me want to play The Crew 2 at all, but it sure does make me want to give the first one a second try!

I find Ubisoft games distasteful. Hated Crew 1 and the fact that they wouldn’t let you restart the game and the fact that if you didn’t have the DLC you were reminded every single mission. Not in the slightest interested in #2, so I’m only posting for one reason. LoveBob3, you are entitled to your opinion just as Tom is his, reviews are personal perspective. Don’t apologise for expressing a counter opinion to anyone in this forum. The counter opinions, discussions and variety of perspectives are what make QT3 such a fantastic place.

@lovebob3 you are, hands down, the worst angry fanboi troll I have ever had the pleasure of meeting! :)

Welcome here and thanks for being so polite. For the record, I never intend a review to speak for how anyone else feels (if you’re interested, I spell out at tedious length my philosophy about reviews on my Patreon campaign). What might have bothered you was the conceit that I was writing about what The Crew 2 “thinks”, as a way to criticize it as being clueless. I don’t usually write that way.

And let me add to the folks saying you don’t get to apologize for disagreeing with what someone else thinks. That is always welcome.

I do appreciate your correction on the rewards for photographs, but whether it’s 20 followers or 2000 followers, it’s a drop in the bucket for “leveling up”. Did you manage to get to icon level? Did you see that there are 1000 levels of icon once you get there? 1000. That’s insane. It was such a chore grinding followers to hit the thresholds that had unique names. I can’t imagine anyone caring about going from icon 16 to icon 17 when there are still 983 to go.

Did you have any favorite event types? What did you think of those squirrelly little skimmer boats? Those were odd. I wish the handling on the boats had been a bit more indepth, because the twisty races with those jittery little boats could have been interesting.

-Tom

Brutal review. Glad I put it back on the shelf last weekend at Best Buy.

oh yeeeaaah…i agree completely…a big long whinefest…astonishingly clueless…i played the Crew extensively and am already deep into the Crew 2 and i love it…9/10

Haha, I’m sorry again for going off for no reason. But to answer your probably rhetorical question, my favorite events actually were the fast boats. I enjoyed how you either chose speed (holding down on the joy stick) or control over your turning (up on the joystick), making the player think out ever turn they made (even though you can do just fine by just going for speed). And I am only Icon 10-ish because I totally agree with you. This game, towards the end, is doing the same races over and over again, just to get better parts and cars, just to do the same races over and over again (until PvP comes out). I really didn’t mean to be a fanboy or troll. I dislike many parts of the game as well and the trolliness was not intended. Thank you again for clarifying how you write reviews, I am new here and I can’t apologize enough.

EDIT: Also, the Icon levels are extremely fast levels, at least early on. I do not know if the “followers” required increases though, as I’m sure it does. And I did a big majority of my leveling through photos because I saw it as a nice break from the stress of racing.