The Avengers: Infinity War Spoiler Thread

I am still curious about why Thanos went from being as purple as Prince’s prophylactics to basic beige. WTF is up with that?

Granted. I guess nanites are like that bit of toothpaste at the end of the tube. There’s always more there than you think is possible.

Assuming the next movie is his last rodeo, we are watching max level iron man here, so I didn’t mind the techno-magic aspect.

This has actually become my least favorite part of the movies. Trust me, I dig watching supers just plow through dozens of baddies as a show of uberpower awesomesauce as much as the next guy, but when every damned movie has to end with twenty minutes of knocking CGI mooks out of render distance by ones and tens, I just. . . stop caring, man. Even the otherwise perfect Thor: Ragnarok resorted to that shit.

I love that scene for the simple fact that it allows Thor to make the most awesome of entrances. When he jumps in, you can feel the power of the vengeful god.

I saw the movie for the second time today. We went for a 4DX showing. First time ever I’ve tried one and I can’t quite decide whether it was super immersive or distracting. But Infinity War is certainly a good showcase movie when you are sitting in moving seats and subjected to wind, water, smoke effects and smells too. Very interesting experience when the seats lean back and to the side to match the camera pans. It certainly puts you in the scene.

Yep, the music certainly helps, too. But at the end of the day, man, I’ve seen Thor mow through copy-pasted goons what, like half a dozen times now? I dunno. Maybe I just want to see some stunt men really earn their pay jobbing to Chris Hemsworth :)

Got to be honest, I wasn’t a fan of Avengers: Infinity War. Not that it was terrible, it just feels like the same old formula as usual. For die-hard fans, I’m sure it was heaven though. Decent article summing up my thoughts on the topic below:

Infinity War: Why the Avengers need to stop assembling

I too watched Thanos Adventures of Misguided Ecologist. Did not liked the movie much. I am beyond shock and horror.

Not the best (or worst) avenger movie.

Which movie claims either title then?

Is a secret. I can’t tell you because I had to kill you. Thor Ragnarock and Winter Soldier*, I believe.

* I don’t remember what this one was about.

Here’s my sentence summing up the article: “A really cynical person reviews Infinity War.”

It is overly reductivist. If you go that route, you can basically boil 90% of films to a simple heroes journey rehash. Waving away character moments is effectively waving away the best part of the movie.

‘oh, Thor came and smashed up a bunch of things with CGI Lightning’ is far less interesting than how he got there in the film.

Daisy Phillipson is an outspoken, opinionated writer with a passion for all things film-related, particularly when it comes to horror and cult comedy. When she’s not watching flicks, she loves to cook vegan food, listen to Billy Childish, and write short stories with unhappy endings.

Sounds like someone who hates fun. Perfect person to write your website’s mandatory Current Popular Thing Actually Sucks hot take.

Was thinking of writing something similar, but you said it so much better.

It’s cool to hate on the cool things guys.

Are you guys saying it’s inherently dishonest to criticize a popular piece of media? I liked Infinity War, but I think that article has some salient points.

Haven’t read an essay quite like that since high school. Just a bunch of quotes cribbed from other reviewers.

I’m not no.

Most popular stuff has lots to criticise.

So too unpopular stuff.

My only beef, so to speak, is I get a certain trying to be cool by dissing the popular stuff vibe.

That said, I actualy enjjotyed the article… It made me smile and it’s making us discuss the film more, so kudos.

However, it didn’t chime with my experiences of the film, and I like to consider myself fairly cynical.

For one thing I actually liked the humour.

Secondly, i was expecting a certain formula, in keeping with all the preceding films, and I got that.

had they made some artsy black an d white silent film, I’m sure it could have been good but it wouldn’t have been what i was expecting.

Her whole article seemed to be griping about it following certain genre tropes…well ymmv but imho that’s expected, even desirable.

I’d agree with this.

Criticisms of the movie are worth bringing. However the charges seem thin, and dismissive of many things occuring in the film.

Let’s take a few points

Now it’s one thing to make the claim, but I don’t think this is justified. Wasn’t Spiderman a traditional hero vs villain plot? Spiderman was foiling Michael Keaton’s character, and that was the central conflict, right? Thor fought his sister. Black Panther fought Killmonger.

Now, wait, they had different motivations. Spidey was most conventional, and really not all that different from, say, Spiderman 2, when you reduce it down to the core. Thor had this sub plot of exposing the truth of his father and their history. Which was interesting. Killmonger had this family betrayal, struggle for the future of their country thing going. But that’s still one step up.

Take that same step up for Infinity War and you’re talking about Thanos, and his motivations and actions. And that is interesting and different. Thanos thinks he is the hero, doing the hard thing nobody else has the strength or will to do. His motivations aren’t conquest, or revenge, or even for any personal glory. He envisions his actions as being for the betterment of the universe. In his twisted morality, this passes as good.

And the film plays off that, it creates comparisons for heroes, it puts them in situations, it utilizes interactions between the different groups in interesting ways, all playing off this theme.

So it’s not that there aren’t criticisms, its that this article chooses to ignore what was going on. They were so focused on knocking down the formula, that they completely missed the point of the movie.

Put it another way, this review strikes me as the kind of review I would write about pretty much any pop album. It’s not that my reaction would be false, my disdain not genuine. It’s that my entire approach would be dismissive and petty. I could list off a bunch of reasons why pop albums X,Y,Z are inferior to others, and they’d be with merit, but I would fundamentally not engage with the medium and therefore would discount any merits they have.

You could write a similar review for any genre too. Period piece biographical films? Ponderous films that spend most of their time with the titular character monologueing about how great they are. Oscar bait dramas? Indie films? American comedies? British comedies? We could create overly reductive dismissive formulas for these too, then be all smug when dismissing a film that adheres to these too. I just don’t think its a particularly productive or interesting exercise.

It’s just not an interesting review because it doesn’t actually engage with the film. It lacks that quality that Tom has. See even when I strongly disagree with what Tom thinks about a movie or game, he genuinely does engage with it on its own merits. And articulates what does and does not work for him. Even things he goes in expecting to dislike, he still usually gives a thought out reasoning.

whoa whoa whoa…leave Monty Python alone.