The Avengers: Infinity War Spoiler Thread

Kevin Feige has discussed how Captain Marvel takes place in the '90s:

We wanted to explore a period before Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury had any idea about any of the other heroes and crazy stuff going on in the world. You know, we first met Nick when he told Tony, “You’re part of a big universe. You just don’t know yet.” Well, we want to go back to a time when he didn’t know it yet, and really showcase and announce that Carol Danvers was that first hero that Nick came across. That meant she could be the singular hero, but place it within timing of the MCU. It also got us talking about different genres, exploring this notion of sort of the ‘90s action film. We hadn’t necessarily done anything like that before either, so there are definitely homages to our favorite ‘90s action films within Captain Marvel.

He also namechecks Terminator 2 as an inspiration:

Well, not necessarily talking about any particulars of the story, but the action elements Terminator 2. That’s about as iconic as you get, looking at kind of those cool street level fights, street level car chases, and fun stuff like that. That being said, much of the movie takes place in outer space, as you might think a Captain Marvel movie would. Like all of our genre inspirations, there are bits and pieces here and there.

I don’t think it was literally just a pager, if I recall correctly it looked sorta 90s-ish like a pager, but also like it was hacked together from a couple different pieces of tech.

It’s not literally an off the shelf pager. He’s calling outer space.

EXT. CENTRAL PARK - DAY

Captain Marvel (looking down at pager): “Oh shit!” (yelling) “IS THERE A PAY PHONE AROUND HERE SOMEWHERE?!?”

He’s calling outer space, back in time, 30 years ago!

Obvious question probably already obviously answered, but in the first Avengers movie, that was a mega crisis. And things haven’t been rosy since then either, with Ultron almost destroying the world (logic similar to Thanos btw,) so why not call Ms. Marvel beforehand?

Like Hawkeye and Ant-Man she made it clear she couldn’t be involved because of family commitments.

-xtien

“Did you seriously just say ‘hitherto undreamt of’?”

The world’s first interstellar contact in the form of an invasion, and…family commitments.

But now Thanos has done his deed, family don’t need committing to anymore?

Plot hole, I should just let it lie.

I just watched the movie the other day and it’s awesome! I would love to watch it again.

https://s.ecrater.com/stores/153534/54cd63467b4e5_153534b.jpg

-Tom

I’m 90% sure that there is a reason why Captain Marvel wasn’t called until the last minute. And I’m confident that Hawkeye will have a reasonable explanation for why he wasn’t involved, besides “Oh my kid has a soccer game that day.”

I wouldn’t consider it a plot hole unless you can’t imagine a reasonable explanation.

Well, to be fair, we don’t know that Fury didn’t press that button every time he got a flat tire. This could just be the first time she answers the call.

This time around he didn’t have the Avengers either since half of them are technically criminals?

I can imagine the threat level is also wholly different - in the first he had an idea that it was an alien invasion brought about by presumably Loki which had physical enemies that could be fought.

In this instance half of all humanity was just vaporising with no apparent cause. Maybe that’s what he saves Captain Marvel for.

Or he jams that button half the time and Captain Marvel being somewhat clairvoyant knows when she isn’t really needed.

To get this up for posterity, I think the quantum realm will be instrumental in resolving all the deadites. I suspected this before Ant man (shoulda posted) and after seeing it I’m more convinced.

Something about quantum state having all possibilities until observed, spun into comic book jargon. Would be an alternative to time stuff.

I think you’re right, but I think there will be true casualties of all this. Characters are not all going to live through the next film, whether that’s contractual realities or not, it’s still going to hurt. The Marvel Cinematic Universe will be reshaped by the next film.

At best I think some C-list ones might go. (The dude with the bow, Captain Americas idiot friend with the wings). But any of the big names are too much of a cash cow to kill off.

Steve Rogers can sacrifice himself (ending Chris Evans’s contract) and Sam Wilson becomes the new Cap. That sort of thing happens all the time in comics.

I expect Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Cap to all either die or be gone permanently after A4. Maybe Hawkeye, too.

In descending order of “most likely to not appear in any more films” I’d say Cap, Iron Man, then a pretty big gap, then Hawkeye, Hulk, Thor, and then anyone beyond that will be a surprise—with the caveats that Downey seems most likely to be talked into occasional cameos (if he “hangs up the cape” but survives), I do expect Black Widow is likely to die, but she’s got what many suspect is a prequel in the works, and that could also mean another appearance for Hawkeye even if he doesn’t survive A4.

I would watch like, 10 Hulk movies. We haven’t even seen him fight an army in the desert yet!