The Avengers: Infinity War Spoiler Thread

But … will the resulting character be called America Marvel? Or Captain Captain?

Though it’s not hard to dub in a line at the end credits scene where Tony et. al. check in with saved and rebooted Earth and back-from-the-void Nick Fury says, “Where have you been? It’s a damn lucky thing Richards and Xavier were able to cover for you.”

It’s not hard to throw a line like that in at the last minute because it’s inconsequential to the rest of the movie it’s a part of. But all the other movies already in various stages of production are also going to have to fall in with that direction; they’re not shooting two different scripts on those the whole time just so they can release the one that includes mutants six months after the deal is finalized or the one that doesn’t if it all falls apart.

I’m not saying it’s impossible for something like what you’re describing, just that I think it’s very unlikely both from a logistical perspective and because Marvel seems to take a very measured, cautious approach to how these things are planned.

I actually laughed out loud. Thanks!

Didn’t Spider-Man show up as a glorified, scene-stealing cameo in Captain America: Civil War really soon after the IP was wrested from Sony’s grip? It was so fast, it was like he had the proportionate speed of a spider!

Also also, the situation would be different if we we talking about X-Men at the peak of their popularity and the potential for Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine to square off with the Hulk while timeline and reality shenanigans reconcile Ian McKelllan’s Magneto’s two sets of children. There would be more motivation to rush into combining the franchises if that were the case.

But at this point I’m guessing there will be no continuity between the Fox era X-Men or FF and whatever Disney does with them. The current actors aren’t popular enough for Disney to pickup the continuity baggage from a franchise they didn’t have a say in.

Only Deadpool has the popularity to survive intact. Assuming Disney is even willing to entertain the idea of an R-rated Marvel series, Deadpool can get by on continuity always being a bit of a joke anyway.

As I recall the timing was tight between the deal closing and production truly beginning on the film; it was close enough that they sort of had a plan B with Black Panther taking on a more prominent role to fill in some of what Spidey did, but it wasn’t like they went back and reshot things to work him in.

I would love it if A4’s credits scene was a rocket blasting off.

Squirrel Girl defeats Thanos confirmed!

My guess is there will be an inflection point in A4 where Steve Rogers is about to die and the remaining Avengers plus Captain Marvel can either save him or use the time stone to save the universe. Steve will have some sort of ‘I’m a man out of my own time. Save the universe’ speech and then Avengers win.

Cap dies: confirmed

I have mixed feelings on this. I mean this happens to comic characters.

But Cap is my favorite in the MCU. Sigh.

Same here, after Winter Soldier he became my fav. Plus Chris is just so dreamy.

He is SO dreamy.

That scene where he holds the helicopter from taking off?

/swoon

He’s taken boys.

For me, it’s alllllll about this:

This whole sequence is one of the best in Marvel’s movie history. It’s just so… Cap.

EDIT: You gotta have the part where he fights the Quinjet with his shield, too.

Yeah, that scene is fantastic, and it’s cut like frames in a comic book. The Russos are so good at framing the action like panels on a page. Winter Soldier in total is a tour de force of comic book filmmaking.

I gotta say, I think my favorite little thing about those whole moments are when he jumps from the elevator and lands in the Shield lobby, and his shield makes a loud gong, like a bell. It’s a little thing, but it just gets me EVERY TIME.