The Babysitter - McG is still getting work

Those were the 2 that came to my mind also.

Ayup, It is what it is, and no more. I really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed this movie a bit. I liked how instead of gradually increasing the tension as some other horror movies do really well (e.g. The Invitation lesser extent Mother!), it decided to jump instantly from 0 to 100 and then as the audience widens their eyes in surprise the director puts the words we’re all thinking right there on the screen.

The best part, though, was explaining the plot of the movie to a colleague who recently hired a babysitter they weren’t sure about.

She’s Hugo Weaving’s neice, and oddly enough, you can tell. She’s got those same freaky eyes. I love how she’s super committed to the script, very energetic, very unselfconscious. The way she goes all-in with that Intergalactic Team vs Big Bad routine, for instance.

-Tom

I can’t decide if she looks more like Margot Robbie or Denise Richards.

From an acting perspective, I think she would appreciate - and merit - the Robbie comparison more.

Wow I had no idea. I loved that bit (including: when she got Cole’s answer. I took that to mean she really was fond of him. Not that she was going to allow him to stop her mind.).

Overall I found this solid. I was unclear on why exactly the gal from Pitch Perfect died. . . was there supposed to be something explosive or flammable under the house? I can’t remember what Leslie Bibb was doing down there in the beginning but with everything else heavily Chekhoved - toys not put away, the goofy award, the kitchen knife - I assume I just forgot something). Weaving was mesmerizing and the clear star, although I didn’t dislike Robbie Amell’s efforts (and found him fairly amusing). The kid was pretty good; he and Bee’s relationship was really well done. It was a nice bit of horror-comedy that leaned rather heavily in the latter direction.

Netflix is really doing some quality work.

Pitch Perfect was done in by the firework going off under the house. The initial blast shot it into the dirt nearby, where it kept fizzling until the actual explosion. It was, of course, an unrealistic length of time between the blast that’s supposed to propel it into the air and the big explosion, but that’s what was going on. I think the bug spray he hit her with was probably supposed to mean she went up in flames too, though from the “I’m still alive—KABOOM” moment it was really the world’s most powerful firework that did the trick.

This, was super super fun. Twelve thumbs up. 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

I don’t need a babysitter any more.

The suffering through the mundane first 20 minutes was totally worth it. I was surprised to find myself enjoying it a lot, for the rest. I did come out of it feeling like there was a missed opportunity to do a lot more with the subject though.

Okja was just plain terrible, but I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Any More was wonderful. I can’t find many references to it here on qt3, but what a delightful little set piece about good and evil and the mundanity of it all.