The Bargain thread for movies

I’ve never seen those Yojimbo films, but some part of my brain wants them.

Amazon has a 5-disc blu-ray version of the Dark Knight trilogy for $23.99, today only I believe. Pretty good deal.
Link.

Back to Best of Warner Bros 50 Film Collection (+UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]
About this item
Product Description
The Largest-Ever Blu-Ray Collection. 50 Movies Including 16 of Warner Bros. Library’s Best Picture Winners on 52 Discs Presented in Book Style Premium Packaging. Plus two all-new documentaries: Tales from the Warner Bros. Lot and The Warner Bros. Lot Tour. With hours of commentaries behind-the-scenes featurettes and more on select films. Also includes a limited edition 27 x 40 poster plus a postcard series of Warner Bros. movie posters designed by legendary Bill Gold. Look for these movie-poster titles on DVD.

*Best Picture™ winner

1. Grand Hotel* (1932)
  2. Mutiny on the Bounty* (1935)
  3. Wizard of Oz (1939)
  4. Gone with The Wind* (1939)
  5. Maltese Falcon, The (1941)
  6. Mrs. Miniver* (1942)
  7. Casablanca* (1942)
  8. Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The (1948)
  9. Streetcar Named Desire, A (1951)
  10. American in Paris, An* (1951)
  11. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
  12. Gigi(1958)
  13. North By Northwest (1959)
  14. Ben-Hur* (1959)
  15. How the West Was Won (1962)
  16. Doctor Zhivago (1965)
  17. Cool Hand Luke (1967)
  18. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
  19. Bullitt (1968)
  20. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (1971)
  21. Dirty Harry (1971)
  22. Clockwork Orange, A (1972)
  23. Exorcist, The (1973)
  24. One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest* (1975)
  25. Superman, The Movie (1977)
  26. Shining, The (1980)
  27. Chariots of Fire* (1981)
  28. Risky Business (1983)
  29. Amadeus* (1984)
  30. Color Purple, The (1985)
  31. Lethal Weapon (1987)
  32. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
  33. Driving Miss Daisy* (1989)
  34. Goodfellas (1990)
  35. Unforgiven* (1992)
  36. Bodyguard, The(1992)
  37. Natural Born Killers (Director’s Cut) (1994)
  38. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
  39. Matrix, The (1999)
  40. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (2001)
  41. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
  42. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
  43. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King* (2003)
  44. Million Dollar Baby* (2005)
  45. Departed, The* (2006)
  46. Dark Knight, The (2008)
  47. Blind Side, The (2009)
  48. Hangover, The (2009)
  49. Sherlock Holmes (2009)
  50. Inception (2010)

The above is the description of the 50 movie Warner Bros bluray collection on sale for $179 at Amazon today. Sorry, too hard to link on the phone. I’m kind of torn. Very tempted by a lot of movies on there, but some of their modern choices like Sherlock Holmes or Inception I have absolutely no interest in. I already wasted money watching those the first time in the theater.

Here’s the link: http://www.amazon.com/Warner-Collection-UltraViolet-Digital-Blu-ray/dp/B009L0LEDW/

That looks absolutely incredible… but even at less than $4 per movie, I don’t know that I could justify it. How many of those movies are available for instant viewing right now? How many more will be in the next couple years?

I’m very tempted to make my second Bluray purchase today. Amazon’s deal of the day today is 74% off Planet Earth. That makes it $17.49. That is a really good price. My first Bluray purchase was Ghostbusters, which I’ve never had the time to see. But I think I’d somehow carve out the time for Planet Earth. 9 hours of beautiful photography of animal and plant life around the planet sounds awesome. I did watch one episode at my aunt and uncle’s house concerning seasonal forests. So fascinating!

At least, it was to me. When we were driving home, my wife said “can you believe they made us watch that garbage? I was fighting not to go to sleep”.

was she tossing a plastic cup out the window at a native american chief crying by the side of the road at the same time?

Harry Potter 8-film set UK version Blu Ray, with the bonus disc included for the last three movies. At current exchange rate, it came to $34.02 for me after putting it into my cart and choosing my shipping address. (The price gets reduced from what it says on that page after you’re ready to check out).

Not bad. Though I’ll probably hold out. I do want to get the whole set one day because I think my wife will enjoy the Harry Potter movies. I made the mistake of reading the last book when it came out, and though I loved the book, it killed my interest in watching the last three movies, which I still haven’t seen.

If I do watch them again with my wife, the third movie is the one I’m really looking forward to seeing again. What a fantastic film.

Might as well bump this thread instead of following people around in individual threads.

John Wick is the iTunes 99 cent rental of the week, which I believe runs from Tuesday to Monday. I haven’t seen it yet, but I know a lot of you like it so I’m looking forward to checking it out this weekend.

iTunes also has a selection of “Recent Hits” on sale for $10. Highlights I’d recommend include Whiplash, Birdman, and maybe Gone Girl and X-Men Days of Future Past. There are a few others in there I’ve heard good things about or that got buzz around award season. Also Let’s Be Cops.

Alien Anthology on Bluray for $21. This is the super-crazy ultimate edition with the four main series Alien movies all in HD remasters, alternate cuts for all four, a jillion hours of special features, a fancy MUTH-UR menu, etc. It is the single best way to own Alien, Aliens, and if like me you appreciate Alien 3, that too. And I guess Resurrection might as well tag along.

Only downside is you also have to take Prometheus.

OK you savages. Bone Tomahawk is now available on Amazon Prime.

iTunes deal TODAY ONLY (9/12)

iTunes has six bundles organized by studios, celebrating 10 years of selling movies. Each bundle is 10 movies, $9.99.

Warner Bros.

• The Judge
  • Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow
  • Pacific Rim
  • Magic Mike
  • Contagion
  • The Town
  • The Hangover
  • Sex and the City: The Movie
  • Superman Returns

Universal Studios

• Ride Along
  • Identity Thief
  • Rush
  • Snow White & the Huntsman
  • The Adjustment Bureau
  • Little Fockers
  • It’s Complicated
  • Forgetting Sarah Marshall
  • Knocked Up
  • Inside Man

Paramount

• Whisky Tango Foxtrot
  • Selma
  • The Wolf of Wall Street
  • Flight
  • No Strings Attached
  • The Fighter
  • Up In the Air
  • Tropic Thunder
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Zodiac

Sony Pictures

• The Monuments Men
  • Captain Phillips
  • To Rome With Love
  • Money all
  • The Social Network
  • Easy A
  • Julie & Julia
  • Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist
  • The Pursuit of Happyness
  • The Da Vinci Code

Lionsgate 1

• Divergent
  • Now You see Me
  • Warm Bodies
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • Margin Call
  • Warrior
  • The Switch
  • Kick-Ass
  • Twilight
  • No Country for Old Men

Lionsgate 2

• Ender’s Game
  • Mud
  • The Impossible
  • Arbitrage
  • The Cabin In the Woods
  • The Hunger Games
  • The Expendables
  • The Cove
  • Gone Baby Gone
  • The Queen

They all had at least a couple movies I felt were worth $5 individually, so the rest are just extras. I’ll probably hide Sex and the City, The Da Vinci Code, and Twilight from my library.

I bought two packs this AM, good bump :)

Which ones?

Universal comedy and Sony drama. The rest I had a few of each already, I buy and trade iTunes and Vudu codes on HTF for cheap

Ugh. Based on a friend’s recommendation, I watched this. I won’t say it’s crap, but it wasn’t that great.

Have I got a 3x3 for you!

-Tom

Microsoft has some HD movie collections:
Slickdeals link:

The Stallone collection looks tempting, though I’ve seen everything in it except the new Rambo, and Escape Plan.

The Statham collection is probably full of cheesy movies. I’ve only seen Crank, but none of the others.

The Saw collection is a big unknown to me as well. I’ve seen the first Saw, and thought it was great. I had no idea there were so many Saw movies.

The Statham collection is mostly excellent. The Stallone one is pretty good too.

Hey folks, heads up - 50% off movie deals for Criterion Collection. I’m thinking about grabbing Repo Man, because the life of a repo man is always intense!