The Bargain thread for movies

Hey cool, it’s not often someone mentions an 80s movie that I’ve never heard of. Repo Man. I’ll have to look out for that one. I saw another Repo Man that was set in the future, with Jude Law. It was decent but forgettable.

What, really, you’ve never heard of Repo Man? Harry Dean Stanton, Emilio Estevez? It’s a classic dude, I really recommend checking it out.

Though I guess in fairness I should admit I’ve never heard of any Repo Man with Jude Law.

Never seen Repo Man, but for some reason I thought y’all meant Men at Work, which doubly confused me due to Emilio Estevez.

That’s because it’s called Repo Men. Repo Man should also not be confused with Repo: A Genetic Opera.

Repo Man is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is so idiosyncratic and strange, but genuinely good, too.

I’m not sure how someone could confuse ANYTHING with Repo: A Genetic Opera.

Is there some website that shows the prices for the digital storefronts for movies?

Ever since I rented Duel, I’ve been thinking about how it would be great to see it again. It’s the first time I’ve wanted to buy a movie in the digital storefront era.

You can try www.justwatch.com

I use an iPhone app called CheapCharts and watch our weekly release and daily price drop threads at home theater forum.com

Looks like all the digital stores are all the same price +/- $1.

$14 for a movie seems like a ridiculous price.

In this case though, I guess they have a monopoly. Duel was never released in HD form on disc, so the only way to get it in HD is to get it from one of these digital stores for $14 or $15. I wonder if old movies like this ever go on sale?

I guess I’ll find out during the Christmas period. If it’s going to happen any time in the year, it’s probably around this time.

Would this not be HD?
I admit I don’t know that much about the Blu-Ray format, but I was under the impression that Blu-Ray meant HD as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Duel-Blu-ray-Dennis-Weaver/dp/B00TF7KYJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1545542920&sr=1-1&keywords=duel+blu+ray

Thank you sir. When I did a search, it only brought me to this page:

which doesn’t show a blu ray option. I always thought they showed other formats if there any available, I guess not.

Ordered!

World cinema fans…Mubi US is only a buck for three months until Monday (no, I don’t get anything for shilling this if you sign up…just pointing out a pretty excellent deal).

Thanks.

My goal: Watch 3 movies on Mubi in the next 3 months.

Thanks buddy, Petite Maman will be streaming soon on this. Many people say it was the best film of 2021.

I think they had something to do with Titane as well.

Clearly I need to get a VPN again, because the differences in what they show in different territories is vast.

How is that?

Thanks for the VPN tip. MUBI India has 6 Wong Kar Wai films up!

If you go to this site:

it shows all the movies and what countries they’re playing in. Like, for instance, Nights of Cabiria is only showing in the US, but Juliet of the Spirits is only showing in the UK and Ireland.

Ohhh interesting.

So theoretically speaking, if someone had never heard of any of these movies on this service, how would someone go about picking one to watch? Just pick one at random?