The Bees Are Dying

The only solution to this problem is self-replicating nanobot bees.

Ask and you shall receive. All traits come courtesy of nothing more than the posts within this very thread.

Jason = Someone who sees a possibly alarming trend & asks for more information. (Reread his initial post. That’s all he was doing. No assertions, no attempts to control or curb cell phones.)

Linoleum = Someone who responds to an inquiry for more information with HAR HAR EAT MORE WHEAT. In short, he belittled a valid concern, while providing no information, evidence, or argumentation to assuage the concern.

Do you want any more information, Lineloum? I’d be happy to oblige.

Europe uses GSM which we are moving to but in the states our systems used CDMA and BCDMA.
The lower density in the states means we need higher power amps at all the cell sites (higher frequencies travel less distance than say lower AM or FM freqs.)
And although we have had cell phones for a while the number of users has grown considerably in the last 10-15 years and the number of sites has just exploded.
There is alot more equipment in all the sites now than there used to be filling the alotted bandwidth.
Beats me if all this is messing with the bees or not.

http://www.classicalvalues.com/archives/2007/04/post_319.html

Some rational thinking.

If only it were limited to “domesticated” honeybees.

http://www.buglife.org.uk/News/newsarchive/beedeclines.htm

[edit] Most of the links I can find not concerning the honey bee seem limited to studies in the UK/Northern Europe. Are we the only area experiencing this, or is no-one else looking? (that Californian growers seem to rely almost exclusively on shipped in hives would suggest that there’s a distinct lack of wild pollinators in that part of the world but I’d be a liar if I claimed I had any idea if thats normal or not).

Contrast the above with this CNN report:

[INDENT](CNN) -- One third of all our food -- fruits and vegetables -- would not exist without pollinators visiting flowers. But honeybees, the primary species that fertilizes food-producing plants, have suffered dramatic declines in recent years, mostly from afflictions introduced by humans.

[/INDENT]
Until today I had not researched this at all. And, ignorant layman that I may be, I do know that according to elementary logic, honeybees cannot be the primary pollinator if wild pollinators are doing the majority of the pollinating.
You have a pretty low threshold for what you consider “rational.”

The “primary species” reference in the CNN quote pertains to food crops. If honey bees pollinate the majority of cultivated plants and native bees pollinate the majority of wild plants, then native bees will do the majority of all pollination as long as the number of wild plants dwarfs the number of cultivated plants. Which they probably do.

Edit: There are other ways both statements can be true but I don’t have time right now to go into them.

If it is only our genetically ‘pure’ bees that are dying, why can’t we go out and just get some wild bees and use them instead? I would expect the quality / quantity of honey would drop though.

We must preserve our bee heritage! The mud bees must not be allowed to interbreed with our wom . . queens! Bee power!

H.

They’re disappearing because they’re marshalling their forces for the bee invasion. You guys will be first against the wall when the bevolution comes.

When it happens, don’t comb crying to me.

Slightly off topic: Anyone know the name of some wierd BW scifi flick I saw years ago about bees taking over/interbreeding/creating a bee-woman or something like that…

I saw the Hellstrom Chronicle, does that count?

Both terrible and beautiful.

They can be pretty fast. We’ve seen sheep in remote islands evolve in just six or seven centuries.

All those vanished bees are creating a secret superhive where they evolve an indestructible hive intelligence, juse like in Phase IV except with bees.

Possible explanation:

Edit: The link worked (and still does) w/out registration, but here’s the beginning part of the story:

Experts may have found what’s bugging the bees
A fungus that hit hives in Europe and Asia may be partly to blame for wiping out colonies across the U.S.
By Jia-Rui Chong and Thomas H. Maugh II, Times Staff Writers
April 26, 2007

Related Stories

• Flight of the honeybees
    A fungus that caused widespread loss of bee colonies in Europe and Asia may be playing a crucial role in the mysterious phenomenon known as Colony Collapse Disorder that is wiping out bees across the United States, UC San Francisco researchers said Wednesday.

Researchers have been struggling for months to explain the disorder, and the new findings provide the first solid evidence pointing to a potential cause.

But the results are “highly preliminary” and are from only a few hives from Le Grand in Merced County, UCSF biochemist Joe DeRisi said. “We don’t want to give anybody the impression that this thing has been solved.”

Other researchers said Wednesday that they too had found the fungus, a single-celled parasite called Nosema ceranae, in affected hives from around the country — as well as in some hives where bees had survived. Those researchers have also found two other fungi and half a dozen viruses in the dead bees.

N. ceranae is “one of many pathogens” in the bees, said entomologist Diana Cox-Foster of Pennsylvania State University. “By itself, it is probably not the culprit … but it may be one of the key players.”

The bees are being killed off by news sites that require you to register before reading them?

You’re like a latter day bee-oriented Fermat.

Yeah, it’s all about the relative size of the majorities. Unfortunately, the full answer has been spirited away by the Knights Templar.

What did they become? Pigs? Cows? Llamas?

Must not say New Zealanders…must not say New Zealanders…