The Behemoth's Pit People - Castle Crashers guys do hex-based strategy

More Will Stamper! More cartoony figures!

That narrator rocks. I hope he narrates the game too, not just the trailer.

He is pretty awesome - I happen to work with a few voice-over guys from time to time, and have tried it myself and its VERY hard. This guy rocks!

The official name has been revealed.

“Pit People”

http://www.pitpeople.com/

Early access starts on 1/13.

Early access price will be $15. Regular price will be $20.

http://blog.thebehemoth.com/2016/12/12/pit-people-early-access-in-2017/

[quote]
The Pit People Early Access experience will include a sizable chunk of the Story mission, plus access to several world maps (yes, there are more than one!), quests, Unfair Challenge against the AI, and Versus mode. The game can be experienced as a single player or two-player cooperative mode. Additionally, versus can be played with up to 4 people in 2v2. All multiplayer modes can be played locally or online!

We’ll be continuing development throughout Early Access which means things like more quests, collectible items, story missions, world maps and other polish will be worked on.[/quote]

Xbox One and Steam

Now that it’s in EA, I’m looking forward to reading the impressions of those who snag it.

This game has a character that is a Cupcake named Gluten. I am celiac. I do not yet own any games with any Cupcake character named Gluten. Nor any games with a Cupcake character. Nor any games with a character named Gluten.

Must buy.

Curious game!

I am by any standard a turn-based tactics gnarled old veteran. After about 15 hours of early access play of this one, I think I might just barely understand some of the core concepts.

The core tactical battle gameplay is deceptively simple. On each turn you literally just choose where to move each unit to. That is it. No targeting, no special abilities, no inventory to manage. Every unit will attack based on its specific attack logic. As far as I can tell the attack logic is made up of

1. The equipped weapon e.g. ranged weapons will enable ranged attacks
  2. The unit - some units have unique attacks
  3. Which enemy units are within range

There is what seems like a complex rock, paper, scissors going on. For examples, a character with a large shield makes for an excellent blocker against any ranged attackers but is relatively weak in melee and if engaged in melee loses the ranged defense from the shield. Characters with big clubs are excellent at damaging units with helmets but less good at damaging those without.

The narration for the core story is snarky and sharp. There are story missions with cute little narratives. There are pit battles against the AI or PvP and competing within these results in daily rewards which rate up or down depending on how well you rate against other humans.

Recruiting of new units is achieved by capturing the last remaining unit within a battle and each battle typically results in new equipment. With few exceptions the equips seem to be cosmetic only but this allows for a wonderfully bizarre customisation array.

Also, there are the adventures of Gluten :-)

I’ve seen some YouTubers playing this and my first thought was I definitely want to see Tom stream this because it looks awesome.

Been playing on XB1 and it’s quite fun. Sadly there is a TON of info obscured behind the interface. Game needs a pass to bring more game mechanics info to the surface.

Pit People is an early access game by Behomoth, the studio that brought you Castle Crashers and they even re-use a good set of the art assets from CC in Pip People. This has been in Early Access since January when over 200,000 people bought it but you can only find less than 100 playing it now.

I’m really torn on even mentioning this game. I think it has some really good humor when you are following the story line, and if you like to collect things, you are in collector’s heaven.

The artwork is really quirky. One moment you’ll feel like you’re in candy land, the next you’re in a techno town, the next your in a lava field. The world changes frequently when the Bear comes and snatches you city and places it in a new spot.

When you do battle, it’s turn based where positioning is critical - if a character has a range of 2 and it has 3 characters within that range, you don’t know which one it will attack so you really want to position it where so that there is no ambiguity of what it will attack.

When characters die, they resurrect in town (I do think there is some sort of hardcore mode if you don’t want that), but losing a person is so bad that you’re going to want to go back to town because being down 1 in a match where you typically have 5 is a real detriment.

Wandering the map to find an objective or just to collect some new character / hat / shield takes about 15 minutes, so this really falls into a nice timewaster when you don’t have time to invest but want to do something.

The map is huge and every time the big bear pulls you up it randomly regenerates (I’m assuming here because it changes) and it’s kind of cool to venture the world map seeing what is around. You’ll run into random enemies, random missions, gold & treasure chests and some switches which do something but I"m not quite sure what.

So, quirky artwork, thousands of things to collect and equip, really great humor, what’s not to like?

I don’t like that so little is explained. This requires patience and experimenting, not necessarily in that order. I’ve posted a few questions on their boards, and people as well as devs are answering, but it’s kind of a frustrating first/second/third experience. There is a LOT going on for such a little 15 minute turn-based battle.

There is an element of rogue like that I really don’t care for. You’re going to get sucked into battles you really don’t want to be in and either I’m missing the flee battle button, or there is no button which I’m kind of assuming - if someone else can tell me how I’m all ears.

The other thing is the collecting really isn’t thousands as advertised. Oh, you can collect 100 different shields if you’re going for a specific look, but 1/3 of them you won’t be able to equip, 100% of them won’t equip on some characters, and the vast majority do absolutely bupkis to any stats. Eg, if you find a medium shield, it will do nothing more and nothing less than any other medium shield. Same goes for weapons, hats and cream frosting (remember when I said there is an element of Candyland here?)

I’m not sure what the point is - I guess I should be going after the missions the game wants you to take, but they are getting more & more difficult, so I think the game is telling me to level up my characters more (i’m nearing 30) and since I keep finding these cool new characters, I’m experimenting with them, which means leveling up even slower as I’m spreading out this XP over more characters.

They readily admit the game isn’t finished - I’m guessing the story will progress more & more. But I’m not sure even that will convince me to keep playing. We’ll see. After all, it nice to pop in for 15 minutes at a time.

Any one else try this out yet?

like this one? Thread already in existence

How did you find that? I searched and went through pages of search results with zero results!

And exhibit A is yet another example of how search on Discourse sucks. Note this @wumpus.

psst. site:forum.quartertothree.com pit people - Google Search

Because distinguishing a topic title containing ‘pit’ from random posts with mentions of ‘pity’, ‘pitching’, and ‘Pittsfield’ is an intractable computing problem that can’t possibly be solved without Google’s resources.

Interesting, the issue is that it is from wayyy back in 2014. I suggest merging these topics @telefrog unless the rules of thunderdome prevent it.

To be fair, https://forum.quartertothree.com/search?q="pit%20people" works fine.

But to be fair to @Tman if you search the way I would have (using the icon in the upper right) Telefrog’s (excellent) thread doesn’t show up.

maybe my example wasn’t clear - mine was using the icon in the upper right but my query string was wrapped in quotes.

Looking at the sum of feedback the game itselfs seems to generate, I wonder if merging both those threads would cancel each others.

LOL I just noticed the problem on mobile, when quotes are entered on iOS it uses the fancy curly quotes which aren’t processed as regular quotes. That needs a fix.

But good to know with regular quotes it works.

https://forum.quartertothree.com/search?q=%22pit%20people%22

vs

https://forum.quartertothree.com/search?q=%E2%80%9Cpit%20people%E2%80%9D

And yeah for game titles that are two common-ish words you gotta use quotes.