The Best American Film Of All Time Is

The movie that could only be made in America?

Birth of a Nation.

Not only the greatest American film, but the greatest film ever made, is Mulholland Drive. This fact is irrefutable, because if you try to refute it, you’re wrong.

Not only the greatest American film, but the greatest film ever made, is Mulholland Drive. This fact is irrefutable, because if you try to refute it, you’re wrong.

That’s amazingly hard to argue.

Kevin “I Think” Cogliano

Angelina Jolie Pic

Ok, so I should expand my list some:

Millers Crossing: I think this may be my favorite movie

Strangelove: If not Millers Crossing, then it’s this one

Rushmore/Tenenbaums/Bottle Rocket (all AWESOME): it’s really hard for me to choose between Rushmore and the Tenenbaums

Being There: a really great one that I didnt think of

Requiem for a Dream: very American

Raiders of the Lost Ark

That’s all I can think of right now

I don’t refute it, but it’s wrong. Bill got the right answer with the second reply, why are we still going on about this?

A few years back, 100 professional feeelm critics voted Citizen Kane the best American film ever. I’m with the pros on this.

Plan 9 from Outer Space

How many of you have actually seen it?

I have it on VHS

A few years back, 100 professional feeelm critics voted Citizen Kane the best American film ever. I’m with the pros on this.

Yeah… the American Film Institute decided that it was the best American Movie of all time. Of course the irony of this is, Orson Welles one approximately zero Oscars in his career.

They threw him one honorary one, much like Hitchcock, right at the end of his career.

Glad someone besides me remembers this underappreciated gem.

I go back to goodfellas. I can’t think of a second of wasted screen time in that movie. Maybe not the deepest movie or going to keep you thinking when you walk away, but that is the tightest movie ever made. And right up there, Jaws. I think I have watched it 5,000 times and enjoyed it each time.

As for Strangeglove, wouldn’t that be a british film?

But really my vote would go for American Movie. It is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - chasing the american dream, without so much fear and not very much loathing except for that smart ass fruity brother.

Chet

1. Vincent Gallo told us to like it. Two-Lane Blacktop being the cool handshake amongst the young and hip filmnerd crowd.

Can you prove it didn’t happen?

Kevin “Criswell” Cogliano

YAMAHA RBX6JM

It’s hard to call it a movie, in a way, since it’s more of a documentary but I’m gonna throw Crumb out there.

I throw in a couple of choices for an American film, whatever that is supposed to mean: Requiem for a Dream and American Beauty. Bowling for Columbine is supposed to be quite American, right?

Except for all the German and Canadian money that financed it.