The best games of 2011 (so far!)

Title The best games of 2011 (so far!)
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Features
When July 1, 2011

Yesterday was the most disappointing games of the year so far. With all that negativity is behind us, it's time to look at the best games of the year. Following are my ten picks for this year's games that have made me the happiest..

Read the full article

Wait, what? You lead the article with a picture of Killzone 3 and then it doesn't get listed? I'm not sure whether I'm more confused by your using the picture or KZ3 not being listed. To be fair though, I only today picked up Fear 3 based on your recommendation/review so maybe when I get home tonight all other MP shooters will pale by comparison.

Wait, what? You lead the article with a picture of Killzone 3 and then it doesn't get listed? I'm not sure whether I'm more confused by your using the picture or KZ3 not being listed. To be fair though, I only today picked up Fear 3 based on your recommendation/review so maybe when I get home tonight all other MP shooters will pale by comparison.

I normally get Tom's humor, but I'm left scratching my head at the fact that Marvel vs. Capcom is number 1 on both lists. Color me confused.

@Cfolliot The other list is disappointing games. Tom clearly loves MvC3 as a game, but is disappointed in the whole package.

@FearTheBear He led the other article with Crysis 2, but didn't put it in the list. I'd consider them #11.

@Garion333, i see what you are saying, but it still seems counterintuitive.

It was number 1 on the disappointing list, not the year's worst.

MvC 3 is so so good. That's why the things that are missing from it(the things that MK has that make it a more "complete package") make it so so disappointing. The game matches themselves are absolutely fantastic, but that's all there is to do. No fun modes, no collecting things as you go, none of that. Just a rating as you play online. It's a damn shame.

Ummm, where's Mortal Kombat? It should have at least made the list. It was more fun than MvC3, and it actually had stuff to do other than play online against other people.

The best part of this list to me is that I have absolutely no interest in playing any of these games. And this is not a sarcastic point -- one of my favorite things about Qt3 in general and, often, Tom's reviews specifically, is that I am looking at viewpoints completely different from my own. Vive le difference!

Eh, I don't really agree with most of this list, but we've played quite different games this year.

Solid choices on the disappointing list! As for this one, I think it's a typical mid-year list: largely mediocre stuff (things that aren't The Witcher 2) with a real gem or two (The Witcher 2) that continues to prove most of the good titles of a year get released in the fall.

Spacechem! I bet you foolishly took my advice, Tom, and never played it.

World of Tanks. This thing has absorbed all of my gaming time for two months now. Pure crack.

As for Rift... Well, it was like this really hot chick I dated when I was stationed in Hawaii: smokin' surfer's body and the face of an angel, but she had all the depth and charm of a puddle of dog piss. I eagerly gobbled up Rift for about three weeks -- until I discovered that it's an extremely linear theme park with lots of flashy lights and bouncing clowns, but with gameplay amounting to nothing more than a rail-mounted version of EverQuest. I guess it's entertaining if you like being led around by the nose and playing the same public quest over and over and over and over. I moved on and canceled before they got a second shot at my credit card.

World of Tanks. I'm tellin' you, it'll eat your head. And you'll like it.