The best games of 2018 (so far!)

The year is only half over and it speaks volumes that when I sit down to make a list of my favorite ten games so far, there’s no room for Into the Breach, Subnautica, or Vermintide 2, all of which are brilliant in ways I haven’t fully explored yet. I mean, seriously, what kind of list doesn’t include any of those games?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/07/03/the-best-games-of-2018-so-far/

Qt3ers, remember when @tomchick would list his favorite/best games for the first half the year? I remember, the forum search remembers, and so does Pepperidge Farm! I am not sure if we are getting a list from him this year. I did PM him, but he is a busy man with limited time to play Guild Wars 2, yet alone reply back to me. ;)

So here is a 2018 thread, because lists are important!
But first have some recaps:
2015 (can’t find any via search)
2016 (can’t find any via search)

I believe the rule of thumb is that the game must be released in 2018 (or ported in 2018, Nintendo Switch ports everywhere.gif) and it must be version 1.0 , so no early access stuff.

And with half a year over, here are my top 10 for the first six months of 2018.

1. Subnautica
  2. Vampyr
  3. Frostpunk
  4. Survivng Mars
  5. Warhammer: Vermintide 2
  6. Railway Empire
  7. Northgard
  8. For the King
  9. The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset
  10. Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr

I haven’t gotten around to some the great AAA games that came out like Farcry 5 , Battletech, Pillars 2, Overload, Wreckfest and such… But that’s why there will be end of the year top 10 lists. ;)

Quick reference to help jog your memory, not all 2018 releases are noted:

What’s on yours?

Gotta check first. The ones that come to mind now are Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle, Subnautica, and Objects in Space. I haven’t played Battletech enough yet to know for sure, but I have a feeling it belongs in that list too. Maybe Vampyr too. I’ll get back to you later. ;)

1. Monster Hunter World

That’s about it really. :)

Not for us PC players. MonHun will have to join the end-of-year list for us. ;)

Going by that list, the only games I’ve played that were released in 2018 are Sea of Thieves and The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, so I guess those are my games of the year.

Since the only game released this year that I’ve played is Subnautica - and I finished it, which is rare! - I guess that’s my entire list?

Oh, and I played Battletech. A journeyman effort but I don’t think it makes my list since I wandered away after the second (third?) story mission and maybe a dozen hours.

And some Pokemon Quest on the Switch. Not enough to make the list, either.

Battletech
Into the Breach

Don’t think I’ve played enough of any other 2018 releases to rank them, but those were both excellent!

For me, so far, it’s:

• Space Tyrant
  • Scavenger SV-4
  • Overload
  • Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr

Been a great year so far.

1. Subnautica
  2. Battletech
  3. DCS Hornet
    4 - 10 ) eh, whatevs.
  • Into the Breach
  • Celeste
  • …damnit, Slay the Spire is still in EA I guess

And that’s what I’ve played for new releases in the first half. All were excellent.

1. Battletech
  2. Celeste
  3. Wizard of Legend
  4. Iconoclasts

Battletech sustained my interest for a while, which deserves special mention these days.

Subnautica, for sure.

Detroit and Vampyr are great, too.

In the VR category, Skyrim is amazing.

I think I’ve only played four, but of those:

1. Battletech [great]
  2. For the King [good]
  3. Nantucket [good]
  4. Mario Tennis Aces [okay I guess]

I would probably slot Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze in at #1 if re-releases count.

Battletech
Into the Breach
Subnautica

Uhhh…

Battletech
Pillars of Eternity 2

I’ve played others, but the only ones I can see making my final top 5 of the year are:

1. Monster Hunter World
  2. Into the Breach
  1. Wreckfest
  2. Far Cry 5
  3. Battletech
  4. Conan: Exiles
  5. Subnautica

You folks need to play more 2018 releases, heck I thought I was slacking in games played this year.

I think of pretty much the first month after a game’s release as user acceptance testing, I like to let things settle down before I jump in. And then there’s that backlog.