The best GBA games.. of all time! ALL TIME!

I had a bit of a scare when the device would not power on before I began to box it up as done for my son.

I had a hunch something was funky with the battery. I checked the back and there’s a handy screw and compartment for removing just the battery.

So I popped the battery out… it looked nearly identical to another battery I saw recently in an el-cheapo rechargable mini-keyboard we use. Sure enough I went and grabbed it, swapped the battery, and now it works.

Looks like this is a (standard?) Nokia BL-5B model battery, cellphone style:

Is it a problem with the battery… or the internal charging? It may have just discharged all the way. You’ll know for sure once this second battery runs out of juice the first time.

I found this on another forum, so probably just bad / weird battery contact… because I noticed the “bad” battery worked fine in my mini keyboard, which I thought was super strange.

Hey, I just bought a Revo K101 Plus and came in the mail today. I’m having issues with the charge though. It works when charging, but turns off once I take it out no matter how long I’ve had it in for. What should I do? I really don’t want to have to send it back since I got it from Germany and paid about 70 USD for Shipping (UPS Express) I’ve used two different cords and wall chargers, The LED lights up for a split second once I plug in it but then disappears. Please help…

Nvm: I solved the problem. I had to take the battery out and put it back in. I guess it wasn’t making contact.

Maybe engineering tolerance issues with some flex in the plastic there? Might try taping the battery in place, I had to do that on an old xbox controller after a drop.

Report back on how it goes. My nephews are really into the old school Pokemon after I gave them a copy of Blue that I thankfully had packed away and while I can buy an almost assuredly fake cartridge of them on ebay for a ton I’d rather buy them some modern Pokemon games to appease my conscious and then setup something like this.

Can probably shimmy something in on the non-contact end to keep it pressed up on the contacts well.

Wonder how the battery life is on this device…

Supposed to be 5 hours, if you keep the screen on a low brightness. It’s a VERY bright screen, though. I defaulted it to 4/8 and I probably should turn it down to 2.

I tested genesis and it definitely doesn’t work. So the Revo K101+ emulates 8-bit systems only, plus GBA obviously which is the primary target.

I was never that into the 8-bit systems so It’s tough for me to muster any enthusiasm for NES / TurboGrafx / Sega Master System. Kinda weird since I did own an Atari 2600 but for whatever reason, NES just didn’t factor into my life. I did own both the SNES and Genesis of course, and they were both great, though I preferred Genesis.

I got a link cable and I can confirm multiplayer works fine between two of these. Also per YouTube it works between original GBA and the K101+, too.

Far out. What did this thing cost you?

The link cable? Like $7 off eBay. The K101 Plus was $95, and it includes:

• charger
  • usb mini (not micro) cable
  • screwdriver (for battery replacement)
  • replacement plastic button membranes
  • the K101 Plus itself
  • the k-cart (no microSD card included with it though)

You’ll want an 8GB microSD card, anything else is overkill IMO. Note that any ROMs you put on the card can be in regular zipfiles (which is around 50% space savings), though I unzipped mine for extra speed when loading.

Yeah, the whole deal was what I meant, thanks.

Welcome @Vadivuri! I never had a GBA but when I got the first DS, it had a GBA port, so I picked up used cartridges at Gamestop dirt cheap. I remember playing Golden Sun, but none of the others on your list.

Just as the Germans love David Hasselhoff, so too do bots seem to love GBA games. The bots at least have good taste.

Boktai for its light sensing gimmick

The Germans do have good taste.

Beer, sausages, cars, spatzle… ok I’ll give you spatzle is also in poor taste.

Spammers must think we’re stupid.

Well, we are pretty stupid, we’ve just been fortunate that so far the bots have been even stupider. Someday we’ll look back on these days fondly.

Given the average intelligence of random internet people, I’m not sure smarter bots are desirable. Any smarter and they’ll be too intelligent to fool the gullible.

Yeah, that’s kinda where I was going with that.