The best Pink Floyd album is Animals? WTF??

I’ve never heard Meddle, to my embarrassment. And I’ve only heard Animals once.

Like I said, I keep meaning to go back to those, but every time I do, I listen to The Division Bell instead (or The Wall).

If you like Gilmour’s playing, I can’t recommend highly enough giving another listen to Echoes, Dogs, and Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Each one of those has, what, five or six incredible solos. SOYCD has three outstanding ones before you even get to the vocals. By comparison, his presence on The Wall is pretty diminished.

Go and listen to that clip from “Live at Pompeii” I posted. You won’t be sorry. I’s a good taste (off a 20 minute track), to see what @anonymgeist is talking about.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond is probably their best song, IMO. Honestly all three songs you named are fantastic @anonymgeist

And that probably swings it. My fifth pick is Live at Pompeii, it’s got the best parts of Saucer and Muddle.

Oh don’t worry. I own that concert video on VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray.

That was fo’ @Rock8man :)

Oh. So it was. :)

As you can tell by my avatar I love The Final Cut. Not my favorite PF as it is very dark but Gunners Dream, Paranoid Eyes, Two Suns in the Sunset, Southhampton Dock are all songs I love. Animals would be my favorite PF. Check out Roger Waters version of Pigs live in Mexico for a great version.

Can I just cheat and say The Delicate Sound of Thunder is their best album?

This thread took me down a weird memory-pit as I brought up the track list to all their albums and tried to recall the melodies that went with each.

I actually listened to Ummagumma quite a bit back in the 80s and liked it a lot. But them I like their Barrett-inspired stuff like Saucerful of Secrets more than much of their Waters-led material

Animals has some great music, but honestly listening to Waters grouse about capitalism for hours started to wear on me. The same with The Final Cut; the whole album is like an extended “When the Tigers Broke Free” – amazing music, annoying vocals.

I’m one of those weird folks that liked A Momentary Lapse of Reason a lot. I think I wore out two or three cassettes of that my Freshman year of college. No more Waters’ lyrics, lots of Gilmore’s guitars. Winner.

I reckon my list would be:

1. Wish You Were Here
  2. Meddle
  3. Lapse of Reason
  4. Dark Side of the Moon
  5. All their other stuff.

I listen to it all the time myself. It’s like a greatest hits album!

See, I don’t agree but I can respect and understand this. After years of Waters vanity and takeover, it was wonderful to hear a Pink Floyd collaborative writing and recording effort again. True, no Waters. But no problems.

Very true on different taste and there are no wrong answers, you are wrong :)

I think Momentary Lapse of Reason is the weakest PF album of all time (On the Turning Away the exception). It was a solo Gilmour album. I think The Division Bell was way stronger and that’s when Wright had a lot more input and it made it a stronger overall record.

I thought Meddle was a compilation album?

Are you thinking of Echoes?

I know it.

Oops, I was thinking of Works. I used to own both albums.

That was a Capital records compilation, right?

Wait, what? It’s not out on BluRay is it?

I see that David Gilmore live concert of the same name on BluRay, but not the real one from the 71.

It is not. :(