The best thing Tom Chick saw all 2018: Thelma

I missed where this was revealed. Do you remember what scene this was? I suppose I could watch the whole, beautiful movie again to find out…

Actually, don’t hold me to that one. I seem to recall she was the impetus for the opening scene and Thelma’s father was obviously reluctant. But I’d have to rewatch to point to a specific scene. Whichever one of us rewatches first will have to report back!

-Tom

I think it was implied, by the look on the mother’s face when her husband was leaving home.
I didn’t take Thelma curing her mother as a forgivance, but more as a defiance: after all, she can undo all the wrong she does, yet she doesn’t bring her mother her husband or baby back. See! I can even give you your legs back!
But I thought of Thelma as being childishly evil quite early on, so it may have tainted my whole viewing — Sorry, Chris!

Finally watched this. Really enjoyed it and appreciate the recommendation. (It’s on Hulu, for those who were wondering where to stream it.) Couple quick corrections, though. It’s directed by Joachim Trier - Jacob is his dad, who is also a director but not for this film. And Thelma’s…love interest… is named Anja, not Julia.

I was wondering what the lingering shot of the fish swimming under the ice was about when beginning the movie. But of course. Of course that was after her brother. Oof.