The Best TV shows of the Internet Age!

It’s fine, I don’t care what you think either.

I understand, you’re a rebel who has more important opinions than the aggregate of all critics out there. You are your OWN MAN! You STAND ALONE!

I for one salute your bravery, sir.

No X-Files or Seinfeld?

Terrible.

Seinfeld is a great example. Critics loved it. I hated it, but I’d probably agree it is important. I was trying to remember what critics had said about X-files.

Afaik, critics hated the original Star Trek series. Does that mean it wasn’t important?

Miracles would be on a personal best list, but most people probably don’t recall it ever existed. It doesn’t even have a metacritic listing.

I’m wondering how it’s possible that I’ve never even heard of the best show of all time before. Rectify?

Seems to have been nominated for / won a decent number of awards. Obviously the show went downhill after the first half dozen seasons or so, but then, I see The Simpsons made the list…

So, where’s Penny Dreadful on their list?

Maybe if they weren’t such name-thieves they would have earned a spot.

I am a little shocked that a list of best things is meeting with such censure on the internet.

For me, the answer is “cutting cable 7 years ago.” I haven’t heard of half of those shows.

Isn’t damn near everything on Netflix or Hulu, etc. these days?

There’s some decent stuff on that list, but some things that really feel out of place. 24 and Sherlock?

It also seems overall biased to shows with a certain popularity, although it certainly has some good lesser known stuff too.

Great to see Rectify at the top of the list. I agree with that. Another one that got little recognition is The Night Of. I just finished watching it and was surprised I’d never heard of it till the awards shows. Really an amazing show. Good to see Friday Night Lights show up.

Did I miss it or is Firefly not on that list?

That list is bad and it should feel bad.

No Star trek? No cheers? Babylon 5? Lost?

The amount of new good original content on Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and imported foreign shows is overwhelming. Especially in the just the last couple years.

No MASH? That’s crazy.

Also, I’ll echo the earlier mentions of Barney Miller (my personal fave) and Taxi.

So Rectify is apparently THE BEST but it’s not available on Netflix, AmazonPrime, NowTV or indeed any streaming service in the UK. What a joke.

How can it be the best when it apparently has terrible distribution?

Well, like I said, this is probably going to skew heavily towards the later years of the Internet when Metacritic became a thing, and then later a more popular thing … per Wikipedia, launched in 1999.

It’s also true that every list is going to have its own quirks. What I like about Metacritic is that it tries to aggregate all the critics into one overall score (still open to which critics, what weights they have, etc), so it is at least a “meta-list”, not someone’s personal editorial top 100.

http://www.metacritic.com/about-metascores

It is interesting to observe that crime dramas are so dominant on the list. This works for me though I as I love crime dramas!

Like many here, I’ve never heard of Rectify; but it’s recent and there’s such a glut these days.

But WTF Murder One - 1995? I watched a lot of network TV in the 90s and I swear I have never heard of it. Looked it up just now. Went 3 seasons. Seems to have been a bog standard Lawyer procedural. Only The Simpsons (1990) and Brooklyn Bridge (1991 and way down the list) are older. How the hell is Murder One #2?

Also LMAO that both recent OJ Simpson dramas make the list. Kind of hard to take it seriously after ingesting that.