The Best TV shows of the Internet Age!

Here was an interesting article about this. I actually read it from beginning to end despite it being over-long and not getting to the point soon enough. But over it’s length it made a good case that so many classics of the past were watched over and over, but now during this TV golden age, there are so many good shows, why would you watch a show over when there’s no time and you move onto the next great show?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/overload-will-any-shows-from-the-golden-age-of-tv-endure/article/2011954

I also liked this bit about where the Golden age started and ended:

Seems bizarre to me to use the onset of streaming originals to mark the end of the golden age, given the premise of the article is the plethora of shows currently airing that are good to great. But I guess it makes sense to distinguish between linear and non-linear to some extent - maybe golden age vs silver age. I’ve talked here before about how weird it is that critics seem to ignore or at least under-cover streaming content, relatively to traditionally distributed film and TV. That’s changing, I think, and it was always less true on the TV side than on the movie side. It’s still the case, though, when it comes to Netflix’s overseas originals. Outside of Dark, I’ve not seen much critical coverage of the huge amount of foreign language content that Netflix finances and distributes internationally. Some of it is really, really good, and it’s going to undeservedly fall through the cracks outside the home countries, I suspect.

I do agree with this:

It’s extremely rare that I rewatch TV these days. The Wire is the only one I can think of in the last year. I’m certainly not watching reruns on linear TV.

Yeahhhh that kinda sucked. Gave up on that one. Going for In Treatment next based on the ranking. All the low hanging fruit (top 10 type stuff) is gone.

In Treatment is… interesting. There are FORTY TWO episodes in the first season.

At first it feels kinda dull, almost like a podcast since it’s basically two (or three) people in a room talking the whole time, beacause it’s y’know … a show about therapy. Based on this Israeli show?

But you do get a legitimate sense of knowing these people as you ghostwatch their sessions over a series of weeks; being in it for the long haul is kinda the point of the series – you can only know people when you put the time in, and incur the significant emotional labor necessary to know them.

I loved In Treatment when it came out. Not sure how well it still holds up though, or if it’s worth rewatching knowing how each story ends.