The Biden Won & it's OVER, Deep dish pizza is delicious, & Gilmore Girls is awesome thread

Members of my senior engineering team brought in a dvd of the last starfighter, to give young engineers who had not seen it, as required viewing to continue employment at our company.

I am 100% serious about this.

I feel like even if it was perhaps not a defining movie for my generation, it was at least the defining movie for SOME of us.

And I don’t know why, but i always find it’s theme song super moving. I mean, is very well or together, but something about it just has an emotional impact on me.

Triggercut is my comfort food right now.

-Tom

I’m gonna go with this because you can’t argue with it. You feel despair or anxiety but gaze into the face of victory itself. Doodoo doo doooo!

Pick your vote counter. (I prefer Dr. McDonald’s for his transparency.)

But anyway:

The 100% + club:

Hawaii
Texas
Montana
Washington

Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, Oregon, North Carolina…all over 95%.

Arizona, Florida, and Georgia all at 93% or so.

We’re going to be at 100 million early votes. Well over, if we get mail-vote reports tomorrow through the day.

In other words: 62-64% of all votes cast in this election will have been cast prior to election day.

How long until the claims that the vote must be fraudulent, because there’s no way this many people could have voted?

Also, apparently the youth vote in texas is up 600% from 2016. Apparently nearly 800k voters under the age of 30 have voted in texas so far.

I wish these were better times – like the election between Obama/McCain or even Obama/Romney – where there wasn’t an existential threat facing the nation. Because then I would unreservedly be celebrating increased engagement of Americans in the voting process regardless of who ends up winning. It’s still really heartening to see but there’s a giant asterisk by it in my mind because of worries that it’s a wave of racist cockroaches crawling out of the shit factory to put the nail in America’s coffin.

A little of that, but I think more likely it’s a whole lot of the opposite!

Honestly, this already started months ago with Trump claiming voting by mail was fraud. He’s already been engaging in it for some time, tomorrow will just be a continuation of it if he is losing.

We’re just two hours away from our first results in the 2020 election, from Dixville Notch and Hart’s Location in New Hampshire.

Strap in.

A bit of pre-election levity

Even the cockroaches around my parts [MA] are voting Biden.

I expect Trump to take Hart’s Location. The GOP base has ballooned since 2016, while the number of democrats have stagnated.

Dixville will be interesting. In 2016 all 4 Democrats voted for Bernie in the primary, while in 2020 only 1 did (the rest to Bloomie or Pete). Joe and his family didn’t even bother to show up for the GOP primary, so we only had one voter for that one.

I’m considering alcohol to make the afternoon/evening more relaxing.

Tomorrow’s the big day:

I’ll take a moment before we descend into the madness to say a quick thanks to @triggercut and the Qt3 community.

This is how I follow the election, and I greatly appreciate the insight and the commiseration (or preferably celebration!) of the folks here, so no matter how bad it gets, we know we’re in it together.

Schmaltz mode over. Let’s kick that orange mofo out of our lives.

BTW, we’re all in agreement that exit polls are garbage. RIGHT?

I was pretty curious about how they’d even do exit polling for an election like this, where there’s so much vote by mail and early voting. Thankfully, I got to sit in on a webinar last week where various pollsters talked about the unique challenges of trying to poll this race, and Joe Lenski, the founder of Edison Research (they’re the ones who supply both exit polling to the national networks, and vote counts to some of them) showed this methodology as part of his presentation:

EdisonPresentation

I mean…I salute the effort, but…main are these things going to be flaming garbage this year in all likelihood.

Bullock would be a hell of a comeback win.

Covid is spiking in Montana, which has largely been insulated from Covid until now.

The thing that gives me the most hope for a Trump loss—even more than the consistent polling showing him down, both overall and where it actually matters—is that Trump only barely won the election last time, and that took a historically (if mostly unfairly) maligned candidate and the actions of an irresponsible FBI (oxymoron, I know).

On the other hand, a large part of me thinks that if the election is close at all, we are still probably fucked as a nation, unless white people start dying off in record numbers soon after.