The BIG game poll (public)

Yeah, that was my reaction, and also counting Half Life and Counterstrike or Ultima and Ultima Online as one is a little off. This seems like a weird thing to do by poll.

But: God Hand.

Quake/QuakeWorld for me. Nothing will surpass the impact it had, nor the community it created world-wide.

Impossible decision to make, and I had to make a somewhat irrational one and vote for Ultima Online. I have very fond memories of several of the games listed, but UO was the first where those memories very “massive”.

BTW, having Total Annihilation and (especially) Elite on the list would have made the choice even more impossible.

Thief

I’ve been playing the Thief series for almost a decade (it will be 10 years on Nov 30) and I still knock off a fan mission or two every month. Ditto the Civilization series.

This poll just feels like a thin excuse to insert Batman Arkham Asylum into the pantheon, and while I enjoyed it, I do think the fellating of that title is getting a bit extreme. Check back in and see if you’re still playing it in five years, or even two years, then start talking about its inclusion on a list of classics.

No Breakdown?! WTF?! LIST FAIL!

Thief Gold.

Thief. I protest its exclusion from the main list.

Master of Magic.

Wait. Waitwaitwait. Where is Deus Ex in the list?

I call it now. driillSGT is just an alias used by Tom Chick.

:P

Blast femur!

MOO2 was much better than MOO1.

Doom 5

I voted Other: Deus Ex.

I voted Ultima – on the strength of Ultima IV, V, VI (from a narrative perspective) and VII (from a gameworld perspective).

The “I can’t want to get home and play some more feelings” after discovering GTA3 barely edges out same feelings for Bioshock.

I somehow can’t count WoW, despite losing 10 months of gaming time to it. Maybe because it will never be “finished.”

Pirates!

Hey, some of the classic games are missing!

That said, I never played Planescape: Torment, though I’ve been thoughtfully directed to a torrent site where I can supposedly download a copy.

Also, what about Diablo/Diablo II?

That said, I voted for the Half Life series. I have steadfastly refused to finish Episode 2 until Episode 3’s official release date is announced. Why? Because I don’t want to finish the game (and then go back and do all the achievements), only to have to wait a decade until Valve releases Ep 3. By that time, I’ll have had my cataract surgery and my reflexes will be shot to hell.

TES III: Morrowind

Needs more Elite. Needs more Total Annihilation. Also, unless you’re counting it as part of the Civilization series, needs more Alpha Centauri.

For a real oddball choice? Front Mission 4.

Doom