The Bitcoin Saga

Here’s Venezuela’s crypto whitepaper.

I’m not a fan of the Peterson Institute, but if their translation is accurate, it doesn’t sound promising.

50 Cent found 700 bitcoins down the back of a virtual sofa

That’s it, I’m putting everything I have into bitcoin. If it’s good enough for fiddy, it’s good enough for me.

I assume you’re also long diamond encrusted skulls.

I’m really disappointed Fifty Cent didn’t single-handedly murder a Mexican drug cartel or Taliban warlord’s army in order to recover his Bitcoins.

Who is 50 Cent? Do you guys mean that rapper 0.000045 Bitcoin?

Joke totally stolen from another news article.

While I am happy for 50 Cent, I feel terrible for all the people reading that article who just now realized they paid over $1200 for their digital copy of Animal Ambition.

Also, what are the odds that Bitcoin is still even there? That it hasn’t been hacked, or some employee of the record company made off with a big chuck of it when Bitcoin started going nuts? I’d like to see an update on the article when 50 tries to cash out.

I love ad block plus!

This shit pisses me off so much. If anti-virus can spot this stuff, Google can too. Get your act together internet companies and stop constantly serving up malware. If you want people to watch ads, maybe stop actively harming your consumers when they do.

Yeah, but the advertisers are paying customers. And it’s not like it’s illegal. Is it? Their just charging you for the privilege of viewing their ad, in a roundabout way!

Every few days, 200,000 strangers come together online to buy little-known cryptocurrencies, also known as altcoins, at exactly 2 p.m. Eastern time. Then, anywhere from 30 to 120 seconds later, they sell them en masse (or at least try to). Those who buy and sell at the right time can potentially make out like bandits.

Bloop… Bloop… Bloop…

A cryptocurrency exchange in Japan is coming under government scrutiny after it said hackers stole $530 million from its users.

The exchange, Coincheck, has promised to partially refund the 260,000 cryptocurrency investors affected by the theft, although it didn’t say when it would do so or where it’s getting the money from.

The hacking at Coincheck, which bills itself on its website as “the leading bitcoin and cryptocurrency exchange in Asia,” came to light over the weekend. If confirmed, it’s expected to rank as the biggest such theft on record, eclipsing the estimated $400 million in bitcoin stolen from Mt Gox in 2014.

Well, not really, given that bitcoin has appreciated massively since the Mt Gox hack.

Good point; 850,000 bitcoins were stolen from Mt. Gox and they remain unrecovered afaik. That’s worth almost $9.5 billion, today (assuming you can find someone to pay that).

Ironically, the price rise means that there’s actually a surplus in the Mt. Gox insolvency. Because of how Japanese insolvency law works, all the customer creditors claims were fixed at the point of insolvency and converted into yen. So it’s (almost) all going to Karpeles.

“what do you mean tulip bulbs are just flowers?!”

At what price do people start offloading their 1080ti farms? I want to know when to start trolling ebay.

Amen to that.