The Bitcoin Saga

Sorry, they want to keep them to run quad GPUs in their training simulators.

This is fine.

Maybe it’s about time the US government make bitcoin illegal and all others like it:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/28/597758947/time-is-running-out-for-atlanta-in-ransomware-attack?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Otherwise this keeps happening forever. It won’t stop it, but will make it more difficult for those using it to recover pay especially if they reside in the US. Because lets be honest. U.S. IT has been crap for a long time and with tax revenue bottoming out, no one is going to pay to secure it properly.

Unless you have an enforced world-wide ban, banning cryptos will achieve nothing. Plus, even if it did work as you suggest, you pick that over securing government systems that can then still be compromised for any purpose besides ransomware.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/29/health/donors-choose-ripple-donation-stephen-colbert-trnd/index.html

Ripple, a cryptocurrency and international payment company, has donated $29 million in cryptocurrency to DonorsChoose.org, a donation platform that connects people to classroom needs across the country. With the money, Donors Choose was able to fulfill every single classroom project request on its site – 35,647 requests in all, from 28,210 teachers at 16,561 public schools.

The massive donation is the culmination, or grand finale, if you will, of the site’s #BestSchoolDay project. Two years ago, Stephen Colbert, who is a member of the Donors Choose board of directors, announced he was going to pay for every school project request in his home state of South Carolina.

Makes you wish we could build like one and a half fewer Jets and do that for every school in the country!

Heaven forbid, how would we defend ourselves from the infidels??

I’ve been very amused to see the blockchain industry wake up to the fact that it is basically illegal under GDPR.

Hard to muster sympathy for Backpage or cryptocurrency. The two together can go DIAF.

Shockingly enough, illegal transactions are illegal transactions, regardless of whether they’re made in dollars or euros or bottle caps or cryptocurrency.

I must have missed the memo, but why are we supposed to hate Backpage?

Child sex trafficking.

Not clear how much sex trafficking they were involved in. However, it is clear that Backpage was used to help prostitutes and their pimps find customers. I read a fair amount of the indictment and its clear the owners would take ads from prostitutes and then make modest changes to them to avoid triggering scrutiny of law enforcement. They’ve pleaded guilty to lots of the charges.

Thanks.

I’m not sure how outraged I should be about prostitutes because I don’t want to judge how people freely wish to make a living. On the sex trafficking part, I am assuming this is unwilling victims, for which I am against, but unless Backpage is somehow closing its eyes to it, I’m not sure whether this is a fair charge. Maybe I haven’t done enough background reading though.

As bad and pointless a law FOSTA/SESTA may be for the purposes proposed, it served one exceptionally valuable purpose for the government. It proved that the government can successfully confuse the public by using scary but vapid words like “sex trafficking” and enact a law to wreak havoc with the internet.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/iceland-takes-hard-look-at-tech-boom-sparked-by-its-cheap-bountiful-power-1524130201

Uber-scammer and inevitable crypto conman Sergei Mavrodi has died.